Back on my board. My first love the BK Bulter Real Tube

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by clamdip7714, Jul 20, 2008.

1. clamdip7714

clamdip7714 Guest

I bought this beasty when they first came out. Butler said he introduced them back in 86. Hmmm, I could have sworn I got mine back before my daughter was born, that was 84. :D

At any rate I still love the tone of the Real Tube, and some say it is better than the much talked about Tube Driver of which he designed as well. How many others still have theirs are use it?

Oh that pearly looking thing on the button is a pearlish piece of glass, it shines well in dim light making it a tad easier to see. ;)

[​IMG]

P.S. The trick with this beast is don't turn the HIs up too much, it does get a tad chainsaw sounding up past 3ish.

2. Rumblefish

Rumblefish Silver Supporting Member

I used to own the expensive "updated" version with bias knob.Didn't like it much.Found one of these for $100 in perfect condition and it does what I fully expected.Love the ease of use and the tone is really amazing.Still don't use it much but I have tunes yet to be recorded that will benefit greatly from this lil' monster.:AOK

3. clamdip7714

clamdip7714 Guest

Nice. :)

I never played the Tube Driver, nor the new version with the bias. EJ gets a nice tone from his though. I do like the old Black myself too. Almost sold it once but am glad I didn't. Hell what's funny is it now the longest owned item I have. :D

Here is a snippet of an Interview with BK Butler I thought was interesting.

http://home.comcast.net/~jroscoe/bkbutler.html

4. clamdip7714

clamdip7714 Guest

Oh, one other thing. I am mating this up with a Gain Stage Red. They mix very well. ;)

5. goldenboy

goldenboy Member

I've just spent too much time reading about the Real Tube and the Tube Driver. Can anyone have a compare/contrast these 2 pedals?

6. enocaster

enocaster Member

The RT was my only OD for 5 years (until I came here!), despite being a tube pedal it's relatively gritty/nasty/harsh for an OD – almost closer to a distortion. I have a 12AU7 in it now, but I got my best results with an old RCA 12AX7 that was too microphonic for my amp - it seemed to smooth it out a little. I'm kind of at a crossroads now OD-wise, so I'll have to dig it out and see how she compares to the competition.

7. goldenboy

goldenboy Member

I'd like to hear about that.

I saw the guy form Voodoo Lab demonstrate their switcher and liked how the sound of the Tube Driver was different from the other overdrive / fuzz pedals. Then I heard about the Real Tube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FIRnr3xPLsE&feature=related

8. Stanley

Stanley Supporting Member

The Reissue ones and the same looking Chandler/BK version that Gilmour used in 94 on the PULSE rig are apparently quite diff even though Butler says they are the same circuit.

I should have a new reissue with bias mod and a Chandler Industries/BK Butler version arriving this week so cant wait to play and compare!!

9. goldenboy

goldenboy Member

The reissue and Chandler/BK Tube Driver, I assume, not the Real Tube. I didn't see any reissue Real Tube on BK Butler's website. Anyway, I can't wait to hear about your comparison.

10. Stanley

Stanley Supporting Member

Somebody correct me if im wrong but I believe this confusing line of pedals went like this:

1) Chandler Industries & BK got together and Chandler manufactured BK's Tubedriver
    This is the model Gilmour used on the 94 tour and what the new BK reissues are modelled after

2) Partnership dissolved and Chandler issued the above pedal but without BK's name or signature on the pedal. BK and Chandler had a legal battle as Chandler was claiming he owned the Tubedriver trademark (BK won this battle and says these pedals had the circuit changed and are nothing like the original)

3) BK sets up REALTUBE - I believe 2-3 diff pedals were released under REALTUBE, a blue one, black one etc

4) Years after BK finished with the pedal industry he decides there is demand for the Tubedriver pedal (believe Gilmour and other pros asked him to make new ones). BK made 6 limited version available - after selling like hotcakes he now has sold hundreds on ebay and direct from his website - this is the latest reissue and looks like the first pedal but without Chandler name !!

11. axemanjoe

axemanjoe Member

Here's a real good interview with BK Butler

http://home.comcast.net/~jroscoe/bkbutler.html

This one came yesterday, got it on eBay

[​IMG]

I think this was the first generation five knob, no script BK signature. This is the best overdrive I've had in a long time. I had one when they first came out and I remembered how much I liked it. It's on my pedalboard now and it will be there for a long time.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2008
  12. KagakuNinja

KagakuNinja Member

Got one, don't really use it much. Tried putting an 12AT7 into it and it the tone didn't obviously change (I'm just not the kind of guy who wants to spend hours tweaking sh*t and comparing different obscure NOS tubes).

The best I could figure is that I could get a bit of extra singing tone when I had the drive way down, but I can do that with a number of other pedals.

13. Bachtorock54

Bachtorock54 Member

I bought one of the new re-issues built by Mr Butler himself. On his site, he says he's doing a limited run of the larger, tan box models, the 4 knob mdl and a 5 knob mdl(bias). He even autographed the bottom of the unit.
    I use this with the Marshall models on my Boss GT10 for getting a very close EJ-like violin tone.

14. dewman

dewman Gold Supporting Member

I have an old black w/yellow letter one and will hopefully never part with it. It has a NOS RCA tube in it, I think a 5963 if that sounds right, I forget. With the highs down, mids up and lows up you get this killer tone for slide too in every amp I have tried. The key for me is moderation with this pedal, adding hair and a colored boost to a tube amp gives a great tone. It doesnt clean up well with the volume rolled down, but what the hey. It gives a dead on Tush from ZZ Top tone. Real cool pedal, don't know that I feel like I'd go the extra mile for a bias control with this RCA tube in it. No need, the tone's already there. Hum's like a amp in need of a cap job in certain situations, so get a ground lift plug and problem solved....great pedal and still cheap. I never liked the two tone version (Butler Tube Driver) as it had no mids and is very scooped sounding. This one by contrast is FAT.

15. goldenboy

goldenboy Member

I just bought one on ebay. I'm interested in it since BK Butler says he thinks it's a superior pedal in some ways. What ways?!?! But the Tube Driver sounds cool too. I'll give some opinions when I can. We just had a baby so my guitar playing time is limited right now, so it may be a little while!

16. axemanjoe

axemanjoe Member

I used mine today at band practice, the black one in the post above. I had been using a Boss SD-1, the yellow one that I modded with the 4558 chip and a few resistors, I always thought it sounded shrill and piercing no matter how I set it. Also kind of flat and dull. This Butler Tube Driver is absolutely amazing, very pleasant sounding, full and rich. I use a Blues Junior which is kind of thin sounding to begin with. I was amazed that I actually had it cranked up higher today than ever before and everyone seemed pleased with the tone and didn't constantly tell me to turn it down. It fit in the mix very well.

I got one of his new ones on eBay and went ahead and got the bias mod too, can't wait for that one now. I can see why Eric Johnson likes these.

17. kurt1981

kurt1981 Supporting Member

Man, I wish my five knob tube works real tube sounded like the TD in that voodoo lab clip. Mine doesn't have the fatness of the other, not sure why.