Back on thet Chet Atkins kick...

Discussion in 'Playing and Technique' started by mojocaster.com, Sep 7, 2008.

1. mojocaster.com

mojocaster.com Member

... every 6 months or so, I think that I am ready to start learning some wicked Chet licks. Needless to say, I never am, but that doesn't seem to stop me :D

With that in mind, what are your recommendations? Books, DVDs, personal experience and insight, it's all welcome!

2. fatback

fatback Member

I was just watching a few vids on youtube with Chet and the Jerry Reed (r.i.p.) playing some amazing duets. I love Chet, but now I really want to learn the head from "Jerry's Breakdown"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ni8KBhnebwE

Chet gets a good laugh out of Jerry with a bit of sweep picking on his solo. I love the interplay of these two masters just sitting around having a ball.

I don't have any book or cd reccomendations for Chet lessons, but I thought you'd dig this vid.

:D

3. guitbeef

guitbeef Member

Haven't watched the clip, but the first time I ever heard sweep picking was on Chet's 1964 "Guitar Country" lp, the tune was "Copper Kettle". And I mean full 6-string arpeggio sweeping, like the neo-classical guys would do a few years later.

4. mojocaster.com

mojocaster.com Member

I love that youtube vid. I watch it at least once a week . Thanks for posting it :)

5. gennation

gennation Member

A great place to start with the Chet style is to look up "Travis Picking". It incoporates much of the "thumb and fingers" way that Chet plays. It'll get you familiar with a few finger picking patterns but the more you learn about it you can incorporate bass, chords/rhythm, melody, and solo all in one performances.

Here's a great little lesson on the technique/style from Guitar Player magazine: http://www.guitarplayer.com/article/secrets-travis-picking/mar-06/18620 Look along the right side for the tabs/notation and MP3 audio samples for the lesson.

Enjoy!

6. mojocaster.com

mojocaster.com Member

Thanks!

So I spent the past 30 minutes on the opening line of Mr. Bojangles... dang, I feel so uncoordinated :)

But it's fun!