• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Back to Boss

Alejandro

Silver Supporting Member
CE-2
DD-3
SD-1

always on my board

GE-7 (sometimes)

And for rehearsal and small venues my old 1988 ME-5 multifx, fantastic !

Jonny D

Not a crazy thread at all. One thing that the oversize boutique market has done is raise the bar and the jargon only to realize that when push comes to shove...much "above" the Boss effects is largely fine tuning and adjustment that may or may not be heard in an actual performance environment.

There is a good solution to nearly everything for under $100. Above this, you just have to decide if the exponential rise in cost is worth the miniscule improvement in sound.

thecornman

Not a crazy thread at all. One thing that the oversize boutique market has done is raise the bar and the jargon only to realize that when push comes to shove...much "above" the Boss effects is largely fine tuning and adjustment that may or may not be heard in an actual performance environment.

There is a good solution to nearly everything for under $100. Above this, you just have to decide if the exponential rise in cost is worth the miniscule improvement in sound.

Dead on.

Kyle Ashley

Silver Supporting Member
I like their enclosures and thoughful design to keep the knobs away from the foot - on most of these booteek pedals in hammond boxes I kick the settings all over the place on a real gig.

That said - I'm not currently using any Boss pedals :(

dedekind

I am very fond of Boss.. I only have a DD-20, and an RC-3 looper that I use for practice, but I could be very happy with a board full of Boss. When I started playing guitar about 13 years ago, I was just sitting in my room with my guitar and SS amp, no pedals or anything; I knew about pedalboards, but for me those were just either a multi-fx thing or Boss pedals. Then a couple of years ago I came back to playing after a 10 year gap, and when I decided to get pedals ("for fun"), I went directly to check out the Boss pedals. Honestly, I had no idea that there were ANY other type of pedal builders at all! I went to GC and saw a bunch of pedals that didn't look like Boss and they seemed like toys to me.. whereas the Boss ones looked more professional somehow. Of course this is just looks, and I don't care about it now..

I think the healthy thing is to mix Boss with "boutique" as well.. and choose whatever best option you have for each pedal for the price you are willing to spend. I couldn't find a better delay than the DD-20 for its price, but when I went to look for fuzzes and muffes, I honestly didn't even care for what Boss could offer; it's just not their strength.

jgharding

I like boss pedals in general, except the overdrives and distortions.

I just thinks these really are better done in boutique or by Electro Harmonix

Clean Channel

Boss have put out a lot of drive pedals over the years, and while some aren't great, there are also some really good ones.

I own loads of boutique drives, distortions, and fuzzes, and while I love 'em, I'm just as happy and home with my Boss FZ2 -> SD-2 -> HM-2 setup.

Steve73

I've used a bajillion OD's over the years but on a loud stage, the Boss OS2 really works great for me ( got to be mostly on the OD side of the pedal though). It has lots of mids but still has more than enough gain.

Clean Channel

I've used a bajillion OD's over the years but on a loud stage, the Boss OS2 really works great for me ( got to be mostly on the OD side of the pedal though). It has lots of mids but still has more than enough gain.

I agree, the OS2 is another great sounding Boss drive.

thecornman

You know I hear the I don't like Boss dirt pedals quite often and it makes me wonder how many of them the people that say that have owned and tried in live situations! They have so many dirt pedals and they all sound different from each other. I am sure a lot of it comes down to someone trying one of them and not liking it then judging the whole line on it. Try a SD-1 and a SD-2 side by side and tell me they have the same generic sound. They are nothing alike sound wise. Throw a OD-3 or OD-2 into the mix and again some more completely different sounds to work with. That is just a few of their OD's. They have piles of dirt pedals with piles of different sounds. I really do doubt that the haters have ever actually owned all of them to be able to say they have no good ones.

Frosted Glass

I'd say some are better suited to different amps.

For example I have an OD-1 which sounds great with my Fender tweed, and is supposedly the boost for a 70s/80s Marshall, but I'm struggling to get an 80' DS-1 to work with my Fenders. When I crank the volume on my Blues Jr it blends into the gain nicely, but from a clean starting point it's just a bit thin and fizzy. I suspect it would fare better on an amp with thicker mids, like said Marshalls or an Orange or something.

Adam Zaiger

The old analog Boss pedals are sweet. They smoke the newer digital stuff and can be found at great prices.

Mike Duncan

Staff member
I have a Timmy, a Moonshine, a 5F6, Drivetrain, TS9, TS808, PlimSoul, OCD, ARC K2, and some others, but I just keep coming back to my seven year old, Taiwanese made Boss OD-3. It just sounds so good with either my Strats, Tele, or DGT into my Mesa. It's juicy, thick, lush, dynamic, raw, crunchy, mellow...it stacks, it grinds, it's orangey-yellow, it's perfect. I keep tryng to replace it and I can't.

Also love my:
TU-2
TR-2
RV-3
SD-1
DS-1
RE-20
CS-1
FRV-1
FDR-1

Do I use them all? Not usually. My board is typically a mixed bag, but the constant is the OD-3.

Coughzilla

I own a lot of boss pedals, but I can say that my favorites on my main board are:

CH-1 - set it so it has a subtle level and a little rate and it will make your guitar nice and smooth, once you turn it off you'll wonder what happened to your guitar tone

BD-2 - I got a modded monte allums from guitar center of all places. Works extremely well for getting a little dirty and still maintaining your clean tone.

DD-7 w/ TT - Amazing! I'll never buy a delay that doesn't have external tap tempo again. I could have two of these and be set for life.

GE-7 - It's a little noisy, but it helps make my SD-1 come alive a bit.

BC-2 - Put it at the end of my signal chain with the sound set to none and the level to unity, then use the bass and treble as an eq, works really well.

TU-2 - Makes practice a lot easier when everyone is noodling, and is great on stage.

RV-5 - I like the plate and modulate settings on this one.

Serenity

I've just sold all but 1 of my boutique pedals.
I'm now getting all the gain i need from my amps.
When my board is done it will be mostly MXR with a couple of Boss. I'm done with high end expensive stuff, when for a fraction of the price the Boss and MXR stuff is just as good, and harder wearing.
Should have done it years ago and saved myself a small fortune.

AXXA

Silver Supporting Member
Anyone have some foot switch cleaning advice? Should I spray deoxit onto the plastic switch from the battery compartment, or do I need to get to it from under the circuit board?

I just got a PH-1r, which sounds lovely, but the foot switch is somewhat intermittent. It seems to work better the more I use it, but I think it could use some cleaning. I've never cleaned a Boss foot switch before

Trending Topics

Top Bottom