Back to Mesa amps!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by vmjoe, Dec 26, 2017.

1. vmjoe

vmjoe Member

After several years of buying, using and selling hand wired boutique amps, I’ve decided to return to Mesa.

I’ve had the privilege and joy to own many exceptional boutique amps from: (in no particular order)
    Two-Rock
    Victoria
    Tone King
    Divided by 13
    Germino
    Bruno
    Longhorn
    Dr. Z
    *probably more

Let me say that each amp was exceptional in build quality and the tones they were designed to create. There wasn’t a single one that I couldn’t live with and love forever.

My decision to return to Mesa amps is multifaceted. First of all, Mesa amps are as solid as anything on the planet. The tones they create are up there with the best imo and typically offer a large variance of tones in one amp. Their customer service is still as good as anyone’s even though they are huge compared to small boutique operations. Even though the Mesa amps I will purchase are not inexpensive, each will be less than the boutique amps I’ve owned.

I play blues, blues rock and classic rock, so I have owned and plan to own 3 specific models. The Lone Star Classic, Lone Star Special and Electra Dyne. These 3 amps cover every category I will ever play and then some. Mesa variants of blackface Fender, Fender Tweed, Vox and Marshall. Yes, the tones are very similar to these I named, yet uniquely Mesa, but wonderful tones none the less.

I’ve enjoyed the journey and will never regret trying such outstanding gear. I’ve realized that Mesa amps offer me everything I want and need.

C-4, Sparky6string, FbIsNotE and 16 others like this.
  2. Kentano2000

Kentano2000 Member

<— Love my Electra Dyne!

3. Drew816

Drew816 Member

I’m intrigued by the Lone Star Special,with 84s, how do you rate this amp in comparison to the 34 models? Every 84 amp I’ve owned was a tube-eater, wound sound great for 25-50 Hours of playing, then start to go downhill and then pop, or microphonic or...

I was just thinking how much I miss my Mark 3 yesterday, good timing on this thread.

Happy Holidays!

vmjoe likes this.
  4. deeval

deeval Supporting Member

The best Mesa I regret selling was my King Snake they are great in my opinion.

vmjoe likes this.
  5. vmjoe

vmjoe Member

I didn’t have that issue with my LS Special, but I do have a suggestion. Relatively speaking, NOS EL 84 tubes are reasonable compared to their larger brethren. You will need to do one of two things with the LS Special however. Find a matched quad in the same bias range as the Mesa tubes in that amp or install bias pots which are inexpensive to have done. I always do the latter with my Mesa amps. This allows me to fine tune the normally fixed bias to my liking and to my ear, this makes a difference.

The reason I suggest NOS tubes is not for tonal reasons, but for their stability and longevity. There are reputable dealers that stand behind their tubes.

I would love to have one myself. I’ve actually been searching, but have not found any used.

6. rck

rck Supporting Member

Are you familir with the Mesa Triple Crown 50 and 100watt?

3 Channels, 1 being based off the Electra Dyne I believe.

Really impressed with mine.

FbIsNotE, stratzrus and vmjoe like this.
  7. TubeStack

TubeStack Supporting Member

8. vmjoe

vmjoe Member

I do know about these amps, but I haven’t really studied every aspect. I wasn’t aware that one channel is based on the Electra Dyne. The TC amps would give me way more gain than I’d ever use. With the LS amps, I’d use both channels and with the ED, I’d probably just use the green and red gain stages, although the clean channel is wonderful.

Another nice aspect of the ED is the lower price. Used, they tend to be a steal and you can still find them new for hundreds less than the original price.

rck and TubeStack like this.
  9. DV52

DV52 Member

I had an AC30 for a few years, never a problem .

geek-mo and vmjoe like this.
  10. scelerat

scelerat Silver Supporting Member

i also like Mesa amps quite a bit

AshMaui and vmjoe like this.
  11. recto-robbie

recto-robbie Member

After a long hiatus from Mesa, this amp brought me back, I love it.

AshMaui, rck and vmjoe like this.
  12. LPMojoGL

LPMojoGL Music Room Superstar Supporting Member

Picked up a Dual Rec Multi-Watt the other day, with matching 2x12. Great deal. Fantastic amp.

13. rck

rck Supporting Member

@vmjoe

$1,500 used for a TC-50 is going rate.

ED's used currently go for ~$800-$1000?

Unfortunately I've never tried a Lone Star so I can't compare the cleans to the Triple Crown. Also, channels two and three (channel one being the cleanest) of the Triple Crown both do lower gain very well in my O.

It may be worth a shot for you to check out a TC.

vmjoe likes this.
  14. PBGas

PBGas Member

I really enjoyed the JP-2C that I had. Great amp and feature packed!

vmjoe likes this.
  15. logdrum

logdrum Supporting Member

I have never played the TC-50 but 1500 is the going rate for used MarkV amps and may be the only amp you need. Except for the Electra Dyne bit

FusionRock and vmjoe like this.
  16. Madison

Madison Supporting Member

I love Mesa amps, but just went back to Fender. Nothing different here, have always returned to Fender eventually. Had a 5-50+, Mk35, MKV, all great amps, but back with a DRRI 65 again lovin it :)

vmjoe likes this.
  17. django49

django49 Member

I have been a fan for a long time. Actually just put up my Lonestar locally (Too heavy to ship), only because it is redundant with a Mark V in tow. Also a big fan of the long since discontinued Blue Angel.

vmjoe likes this.
  18. Drew816

Drew816 Member

Just a quick look around and I’m seeing EDs for $800-ish in a 1x12 combo; wow! I was thinking a Marshall 2525c in 20 watts for my next amp as I like my big original Jubilee 50 so much but man, these Mesas look pretty awesome and potentially cheaper or about the same price if an LS model instead.

Newbie question, can you dial down the wattage on the EDs like you can on some of the other models? I know there’s a master but...

The LS I see you can eq the other channels to further dial in tone, that’s cool but I’m not sure I’d really ‘need that’ option. Hum....

Glad I caught this thread and happy Holidays!

PS; had an early Vox reissue and it was one of the amps that’s ate 84’s. Pro setup and managed (not me, my tech!) and it still inhaled a few sets of 84s before I sold it. In the meantime my 34 and 6L6 amps needed nothing so I sold it. A few other 84 setups with similar results, maybe WFO all the time is a bit much? ;)

vmjoe likes this.
  19. Freddyzone

Freddyzone Member

Just picked up a Boogie Mark IIC, wicker and wood. Always been a Marshall guy before this. Dialing them in takes a little time but well worth it! The build quality of this amp is outstanding. Clean and overdrive are so good.

20. Drew816

Drew816 Member

IIC in wood and wicker, that’s the one man; enjoy! And bonus points for pics!