1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Back to Mesa amps!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by vmjoe, Dec 26, 2017.

1. High/Deaf

High/Deaf Member

Yea, one less thing to have to think about. I like that!

My biggest concern with the LSS was uneven tube wear as I switch from 4 tubes (30w) to 2 (15w) to 1 (5w) - I use all three power settings depending on the venue. I talked to Mesa and they confirmed that rotating tubes regularly would not be a bad thing to spread the wear out more evenly. So I rotate mine every spring and fall, kinda like putting on and taking off winter tires.

Gibby and vmjoe like this.
  2. Steve Hotra

Steve Hotra Silver Supporting Member

Thanks

3. vmjoe

vmjoe Member

This is true, but I do add bias pots to my Lone Star Classic and Electra Dyne. I like to have the flexibility. I often use NOS power tubes.

4. Waxhead

Waxhead Member

Surfin at Merewether Point, NSW Australia
    I have a 6L6 Express 5:50 and EL84 Mark V 25 :)
    Both great amps, both different, both super versatile and rock solid.
    Once I started on Mesa I never left.

[​IMG]

5. Randolph

Randolph Supporting Member

I have an LSC running into a 212 cab and and TA-15 into a 112 cab and love them both!

Sparky6string, Steve Hotra and vmjoe like this.
  6. Dad love mom

Dad love mom Supporting Member

I appreciate learning about your experiences with amps over the years, and yes, I also appreciate reading about your reasonings for returning to Mesa/Boogie amplifiers. I too have contemplated making a return to playing Mesa/Boogie amps as well, especially after listening to live recordings of John Petrucci or Andy Timmons.

vmjoe likes this.
  7. Dad love mom

Dad love mom Supporting Member

What model of Two Rock did you own, if you don't mind me asking?

vmjoe likes this.
  8. vmjoe

vmjoe Member

2008 Classic Reverb 50/22 watt. Truly an outstanding amp. Certainly not high gain, but enough versatility to obtain a number of tones. That was the amp that was most difficult for me to let go.

Dad love mom likes this.
  9. blackie59

blackie59 Member

The CC is in the effects loop and the bottom pedals are a Mythical Overdrive and a Timmy. I haven't had any loop problems like some guys here and only really use the drive pedals if I'm using my Strat. The Les Paul doesn't need any help.

vmjoe likes this.
  10. AA864

AA864 Supporting Member

I've always like Mesa. I played a Mk IV combo + Thiele 1x12 cab for 20 years. I sold it due to the weight. I got older and it stayed at home more. I kept the Thiele cab. It's a very nice tight closed back cab that can take plenty of power.

I also went to boutique amps in a tone search. I picked up a Gries 12 and a Morgan AC20 Deluxe. Both are great and will stay. I then began to miss the Mesa Mark sound and picked up a Studio .22+ combo and paired it to the Thiele cab. Then I got curious about the TA-15's Vox sounds and channel switching capabilities. Now I am considering selling both of these Mesa's and picking up a Mk V 35 head to use with the Thiele cab. I don't need the TA-15 for Vox, got that covered with the Morgan. I like the idea of a head vs the 44 lb V-35 combo. I could easily pair it with a number of diff cabs I have around the house.

Mesa's are unique and check a lot of boxes. They do take some time to dial in, but once you 'get it' they are every bit as good as boutique amps offered today.

Don A, Steve Hotra and vmjoe like this.
  11. jujube

jujube Member

Mesa amps are very sensitive to speaker choices. The differences can be dramatic. The amp can go from average to spectacular with your speaker choice. Best way to test the amp is to take your well used cab of V30s/Altecs/EVs etc.

The tone controls are also very sensitive. This can frustrate some players.

RockBlocker, Freddyzone and vmjoe like this.
  12. Al Rose

Al Rose Silver Supporting Member

I was the same way....I loved Santana's tone, and first bought a Studio 22+ in 1990. I've been a boogie guy ever since. Have tried and owned others, but for me, Boogies have the sound in my head.

Al

kludge and vmjoe like this.
  13. JimmyB

JimmyB Silver Supporting Member

Your pic is a broken link. :(

We only see the IMG tag, and attempting to open it in a new tab only gets:

14. IcedEarth

IcedEarth Member

How's the ED compare to the Stiletto Deuce? I've owned that amp twice, never played an ED. But, I love Mesa's take on British high gain.

vmjoe likes this.
  15. Yooper

Yooper Member

I parted with my long time home amp DC-5 and went for some lower watt Fenders to give my back a break. SFDR, 5E3, 5F1, Champ II. Love them all, but there was a hole in my heart. Found another DC-5 for $425. There's no place like home. I'll never find a better amp for the money, so it stays.

No need to move it. It sounds great where it is. For a lighter Boogie load I got a 5:25 Express. That little fella kicks righteously. No need for any more amps for me.

Sparky6string and vmjoe like this.
  16. Brettski

Brettski Member

I have a late 90’s triple rectifier that absolutely crushes. Double up on the ear protection and keep some spare vintage 30’s on hand. Almost twenty years of rock solid service. I don’t play quite as much metal these days but its firmly in “cold dead hands” territory.

vmjoe and LPMojoGL like this.
  17. Guinness Lad

Guinness Lad Silver Supporting Member

I think 5 of the last 7 amps I have owned were Mesa. Right now V-Twin rack and a ta-15. Mesa makes great stuff.

Sparky6string and vmjoe like this.
  18. treedroppings

treedroppings Member

I have a Mark I re-issue combo and it only went to the shop last week because it fell off the twin cabinet two months ago and has subtle issues. I'm thinking a new phase inverter or V3 will solve the problem, but might as well have it looked at since it's been seven years on the power tubes.

vmjoe and jujube like this.
  19. django49

django49 Member

In addition to earlier comment, it makes a great platform. My fave is to set it for a decent "bluesy" tone. An original Ethos Overdrive in front effectively adds THREE tones...."Clean" compensates for the combo's tone stack, then you have the gain (D-style) and add boost to thicken it up. I can go from a "Fender-ish" tone to a light drive to a "Santana" lead to a Gary Moore ("Marshall-ish") with nothing more than the amp and the one pedal. My favorite is the 4 x 10 version.

treedroppings, vmjoe and Steve Hotra like this.
  20. TaoInMotion

TaoInMotion Member

Having owned and gone through a lot of amps ... the TA-30 and V:35 are my two favorites that get most of my plug in time ...

la noise and vmjoe like this.