Back to Mesa amps!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by vmjoe, Dec 26, 2017.

1. '62 Stratmaniac

'62 Stratmaniac Member

I loved the Electra Dyne. I thought it was the anti-Mesa, 'cause it sounded perfect to me with everything at 12 o'clock, no knob twiddling necessary. Probably my favorite Boogie ever.

2. Steve Hotra

Steve Hotra Silver Supporting Member

Thanks for the reply.

3. django49

django49 Member

Since you appear to be kind of in the neighborhood, let me know if you want to test drive one.

Steve Hotra likes this.
  4. vmjoe

vmjoe Member

Well folks. I have both Lone Star heads in transit to my front door
    Purchased a new Special from Sweetwater and it will arrive on Saturday. Purchased a floor model Classic from shop in LA off Reverb for a steal $1250.00. Will be here on the 3rd. Bliss!

Will not search diligently for ED until the new year. If anyone sees a head in new or excellent condition, please hit me up.

Happy new year to everyone.

73171, la noise, wilblee and 6 others like this.
  5. TubeStack

TubeStack Supporting Member

While the Stiletto is 800-ish with an EL34 sound and feel, strong mids/highs and a thinner sound, the E Dyne is more JTM-ish and 6L6/KT66 in feel/sound (though it can use 34s, it’s main thing is that fat, thick vibe with low mid emphasis). And the cleans on the E Dyne are way nicer. Both still sound and feel like Mesas, though.

I enjoyed my Deuce but LOVE my Electra Dyne.

vmjoe likes this.
  6. TubeStack

Nice! I’ve always wanted to try the Lone Stars.

vmjoe likes this.
  7. mbell75

mbell75 Member

Im looking for a 2nd amp and I play dropped tuning (drop D and C#) power chords and need an amp that has a tight bottom end with clarity when Im playing those chords. I dont consider myself a high gain metal player but everyone keeps recommending a Dual Rectifier. I played one years ago when I was playing bass and just messing with guitar, dont remember much about the sound but I need to try them again I guess.

vmjoe likes this.
  8. vmjoe

vmjoe Member

Great description! I ran EL 34’s in the last one I owned because everything else I owned was 6L6 based. I liked is as much and possibly better in the gain modes.

9. vmjoe

vmjoe Member

Never owned one, but even the clean tone is exceptional imo.

10. Hugh_s

Hugh_s Member

The rectifiers are incredibly flexible amps.

vmjoe and mbell75 like this.
  11. gibson5413

gibson5413 Member

I've had one for 4 years and it will go nowhere. I love it. BTW, I have the 1x12 combo. Takes pedals amazingly well.

vmjoe and TubeStack like this.
  12. IcedEarth

IcedEarth Supporting Member

How's the low end, in comparison? Seems it, & the Royal Atlantic are said to have serious chunk? I'm really interested in the ED and RA.

vmjoe likes this.
  13. vmjoe

vmjoe Member

I’ve never played a Stiletto but the ED has much more chunk. More lower mids compared to the upper mids associated with Marshall amps after the bass oriented early Plexi’s.

TubeStack likes this.
  14. TubeStack

Yes, the E Dyne has crazy low end available, but it can get pretty tubby, in my experience. I prefer it with a 2x12 of V30s, to emphasize mids, and I keep the bass at around 9 o’clock. This is for classic rock tones with an LP, 339, or Strat. Haven’t tried anything heavier than Sabbath stuff with it, though.

The RA I had didn’t have as much low end, however it was an open-back 2x12, so that was a factor, too. But the E Dyne has a big low end even as a 1x12 combo (which I briefly owned, a while ago).

Another factor to consider is that the RA and Stiletto have way more gain available than the Dyne. The Dyne is like an old MV Marshall in terms of gain levels, whereas the other two have huge amounts of Mesa high gain.

la noise and vmjoe like this.
  15. 1bluzman

1bluzman Supporting Member

I had an ED head for awhile, great amp nice cleans and could really scream on the red channel using a two 12 v30 cab. Balancing the volume between modes can be a challenge but it can be done. 45lbs for the head was not bad. My only thing was that even on the 45 watt setting the amp was still freaking loud for my use so I ended up selling it and bought a Mark V25 plenty loud for my use lots of good tones and reverb on both channels and at 16lbs it's a great grab & go amp I use it with a one 12 v30 cabinet .

pipedwho, vmjoe and TubeStack like this.
  16. djw

djw Member

This is an amazing win (how about buying two Mesas at once!) and I’d be incredibly jealous... if I didn’t already own the three amps you’re talking about :D

Congrats! See my sig... I’m a Mesa fan myself. Good stuff. Pics and let us know how you’re doing after you come up for air!

la noise, vmjoe and TubeStack like this.
  17. redchapterjubilee

redchapterjubilee Supporting Member

My #1 is a Mesa Mark I reissue head into a 4x10 cabinet. I've been cheating on it lately with my backup rig (a 59 Bassman LTD in a headshell + 2x12) but last night I gigged the Mesa and it reminded why it's still my number one amp. It's a middy blackface Bassman with a good master.

TubeStack, vmjoe and jujube like this.
  18. les_paul

les_paul Member

I took a Boogie break for about two years and found my way back. The one that brought me back was a Mark IIB, which I had intended to be my gigging amp for the year but it was too loud. Then I bought a 5:50+ which won the gigging spot for the year. I purchased a Mark I RI that I used to own from the guy I sold it to a few years back because I liked the gain channel on it and knew it would mix well with the clean channel of the Mark IIB in an A/B situation. Lastly, I picked up a Lone Star Classic because I've never owned one but thought it would fit well for the music my band plays.

Strangely enough my favorite is the Mark IV and I currently don't own one. I'll probably fix that this year, though. I'm at the stage where I don't have enough room so I'll have to part with some other gear to pull in a Mark IV.

vmjoe and Dashface like this.
  19. BelgPJ

BelgPJ Member

I was without a Mesa for about 18 months - not deliberate, but just the way things worked out when I needed to fund my Carol Ann obsession. Have owned 7 Mesa rigs over the last 30 years, and am very happy to be back in the fold. The Dyne in particular is a thing of sonic beauty. Love it

Looking at adding a TC 100 to the stable when they hit the UK in 2018 - can't wait ..

TubeStack and vmjoe like this.
  20. Dashface

Dashface Member

I got a MkIIb combo in trade a couple years ago. It isn't my favorite amp in the world (I'm a Hiwatt and blackface Fender guy) but it has worked very well for bar gigs as a pedal platform. Nice and loud and clean. I've used it for about 100 shows since I got it.

vmjoe likes this.