Back to Mesa amps!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by vmjoe, Dec 26, 2017.

1. vmjoe

vmjoe Member

I'm rethinking my last Mesa purchase. Don't get me wrong, I still love the Electra Dyne, but I've been video watching the TC-50. I like what I see. What to do?

2. somedude

somedude Member

[​IMG]

3. BelgPJ

BelgPJ Member

Exactly this - it's the only rational thing to do

vmjoe likes this.
  4. jujube

jujube Member

TC-100? :-D

vmjoe likes this.
  5. motzman

motzman Supporting Member

I have been bouncing from amp to amp for years. This is the one that has stayed the longest.

[​IMG]

6. vmjoe

vmjoe Member

My Lone Star Special arrived yesterday. I fired it up and everything seemed good, but no sound. I took the back panels off to inspect and found a power tube was blown. No problem. It probably occurred during shipment. I contacted the company I purchased the amp from to request a replacement. I also ordered a quad of Tungsram EL84’s from a tube dealer.

The bad tube (as you face the cab back) is to the far left next to the rectifier tube. I plan to move tubes to figure this out, but does anyone already know which location(s) are used in the 15 & 5 watt modes? I’m thinking the amp will still work with working tubes in the correct locations. If this is true, the location where the bad tube was is one. The amp doesn’t work in 5/15/30 watt positions.

7. vmjoe

vmjoe Member

Well, my tube theory didn’t work
    I believe I tried every possible combination and still nothing. I checked every tube, rectifier, power and preamp. All appear to be working because they light up. Anyone who knows if this amp should actually work with only two tubes in 5 and/or 15 watt modes, please respond.

Thank you all and Happy New Year!

8. somedude

somedude Member

From what I remember...

15w mode is the outer pair

5w mode is one of the outer pair tubes, and I think it's the one closest to the rectifier tube... but, if I remember correctly 5w mode uses a tube from the inner pair to balance the output transformer.

I'm not sure if it'll work with only two tubes in it. The way the amp is setup so that you can switch power settings when you switch channels may prevent that.

vmjoe likes this.
  9. vmjoe

vmjoe Member

Thank you for the reply. I referred to the manual and found the answer. Imagine that
    You are correct. 15 watt mode uses the two outside tubes and the 5 watt mode uses the left tube as facing the back.

I did in fact get the amp to work
    Even though one of the tubes is blown, it still needed to be installed in order for the amp to work.

10. Chasintonez

Chasintonez Member

For those that have the TC-50. Has the effects loop issue with the high end getting attenuated been fully figured out? Looks like a really versatile amp, but I have had an amp in the past that was actually a killer amp, but could never get the effects loop to not knock the high end out when engaged. It seems that when an effects loop knocks the high end off it is very difficult to get the bite back even when turning the treble and presence up to make up for the loss as the character of the top end is a different character when attenuated by a loop that has that affect on the overall tone.

I even tried a few different buffers right up tight to the send output on the amp to no avail with that amp. Typical cable runs out to a board...15 or so feet out and back with very high end cable and George L pedal cables. Like the looks of the TC-50 on paper feature wise.

Pedals vary as they roll in and out thru time, but typical delays and reverbs for the most part.

11. rck

rck Member

Not that I know of.

I do have a tone change (loss of treble) while running an Eventide H9 (and tried some other pedals) in the loop with 20' Mogami/Planet Waves American Stage, i.e. decent cords.

Some folks don't have the tone change, some do.

I'm not selling mine, I really like the amp, but the effects loop is no good for me, so far. So, heads up.

I've had a Mesa Express 550+ where the effects loop was really good and a Mesa TA-30 where there was a tone change, but a good one, not a loss of treble but some shift in eq, I liked it.

FWIW

12. somedude

somedude Member

Why people expect to be able to bypass amp circuitry, 40+ feet of cable and half a pedalboard with no change in tone is beyond me.....

Leave the loop on all the time and EQ the amp with the top end roll-off in place... when done this way it performs like any other amp's non-switching effect's loop, and your delays and reverbs will trail off naturally.

Alternatively, I get no top end rolloff when using a couple of short 18" patch cables, but that limits you to using stuff that's located right next to your head (like an effects rack or a pedal left sitting on top of the head).

FbIsNotE likes this.
  13. WholeLottaGlove

WholeLottaGlove Supporting Member

I kinda did the reverse: I had a DRRI and traded it for a Mark V head. I actually prefer the Mark V clean tone to the DRRI!

fridgit, vmjoe and Madison like this.
  14. Mr Fingers

Mr Fingers Member

I've used Mesa combos for their ability to get almost any tone and to offer both amazing cleans and of course all kinds of high gain tones. Perversely, my favorite, go-to amp is the much criticized Nomad 45 (EL84s). Like some Mesa amps, you have to get a grasp of the interactive controls or else it can be pretty wild and nasty, but getting a grip on settings and -- as I do with every Mesa I have owned -- getting the right mix of tubes (I often end up using 5751s and even 12AU7s to tame the front end and reduce noise) yields an incredible, gorgeous amp. I also like to buy American products, and in addition, Mesa Boogie employees are often pretty great people. I used to buy from the Mesa Boogie store on Sunset in LA, and the guys there were super-helpful and dead honest. I've only had good experiences there.

bgh, fridgit, vmjoe and 1 other person like this.
  15. JonSick

JonSick Member

I really want to go rackmount for my live set up. A Triaxis has been top of my list for a while however it's now discontinued; the only used ones I see coming up are in not great condition.

I've been looking at alternatives such as the Engl E570 preamp (already have a couple of good power amps) but really it just seems too zeddy for me from the youtube clips I've gone through.

I'm eager to find out if Mesa are going to do a newer updated Triaxis-like rackmount preamp as really the rectifier preamp they have out is sorely missing the MIDI options (seems like a crime to me!).

We'll see what happens. I may just go for a Dual Rec head and be happy. But the allure of going all-rack again is just so appealing.

vmjoe likes this.
  16. Guinness Lad

Guinness Lad Silver Supporting Member

If you have an effects loop issue change out the preamp tube that controls teh effects loop. Mesa seems to be using JJ 12ax7 tubes and too many of these kills high end. When you turn on the effects loop you are essentially adding another gain stage.

Try a CHinese or anything other than a JJ and see if the highs come back.

AR-305 and DMVGuitar like this.
  17. Randolph

Randolph Supporting Member

Are you using the stock Black Shadow Speakers in those?

18. Metalflange

Metalflange Member

I love my Mark IIB such a superb amp!

scelerat and DMVGuitar like this.
  19. DMVGuitar

DMVGuitar Member

Good advice. Or try the nonbedroom challenge. Play with a band see how much that purported high end loss sounds in the mix.

FbIsNotE likes this.
  20. motzman

motzman Supporting Member

Yea I am using the stock speakers. I have been thinking about maybe trying some new ones. Any suggestions?