1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

Back to Square 1

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by phoenix 7, May 17, 2011.

1. phoenix 7

phoenix 7 Silver Supporting Member

So my number 1 and 2 guitars from 6 years ago ('03 R8 and an early Grosh Retro Classic) are my number 1 and 2 guitars once again. Been through a lot of nice guitars since then. I love my newer stuff too, and will continue to use most of it. But sometimes it takes a while to realize that your best stuff is the old stuff.

Anyone else find themselves coming full circle in some way after going through lots of gear and $?

Last edited: May 18, 2011
  2. SteveO

SteveO Member

My '90 PRS Custom. I've been getting more and more into my Teles, but the PRS ain't going anywhere.

3. choucas09

choucas09 Member

I bought this crazy Fresher (with built in amp) in 1983. I took it to a jam last week and everybody was blown away with the sound (and mojo).

[​IMG]

4. phoenix 7

5. bearbike137

bearbike137 Supporting Member

This just happened to me. I bought a '63 SG Standard ten years ago that I haven't played much. I thought it sounded pretty good (and played great) when I bought it, but it has mostly sat in its case. I kept it for two reasons: 1) it was cool having a vintage piece, 2) my son who is an ACDC fan begged me to never sell it. If not for my kid, I would have probaly sold it long ago. In the meantime, many guitars have come and gone while I seached for that elusive #1. Over the past month or so, I realized that I already owned what I was looking for. I don't know how I overlooked it all this time. I was wrong in my initial feelings - it doesn't sound "pretty good" - the guitar kicks major flipping ass. It has got a great chunky neck and is 100% all original, with no breaks or issues. I am so grateful I never sold it. Here it is:

[​IMG]

6. phoenix 7

Truly incredible guitar, Guitarhak. Wish I'd kept the '66 SG I sold when I was 15!

7. Simto

Simto Member

That SG is jaw dropping awesome!

8. Scott Auld

Scott Auld Staff Member

Nothing wrong with that, pho.

9. Flyin' Brian

Flyin' Brian Member

I guess its usually gig or song driven. As you know John I've been using my old Strat again, although it needs a refret (or a new neck). But I still do my jazz lessons with the Sweet 16 and if I'm going somewhere where I'm not sure what people want and I'm limited to 1 guitar, I bring my Prospect.

Aw who the heck knows? They all play so well that I'm happy with all of them. I sat in with Dave Orban's jump blues band last fall and used the Sweet 16, so go figure.

10. phoenix 7

I'm a bit like that too, Brian -- love all my guitars and for a couple of years I tended to choose one on a whim for a gig or rehearsal. It was just funny to realize after much trial and error that the ones that work best in my current band were also my main guitars from about 2004-2007. I think the others will now serve mainly as backups for those two.