Back to the Dirty Little Secret again!

MCG

Perhaps this would be better posted in the Amp forum but any way......

I have been using a Mesa Boogie Rocket 44 these past couple of years. It's the first Mesa that I have owned and spent a good deal of time with. In that time I have gone through the EQ learning curve of finding my setting, revisiting the users manual more that once and changing the EQ and preamp gain to get a tone that would work for the Southern & Blues Rock that I play. Well as nice as this amp is I just prefer the texture of a "British" style crunch. I had tried the Dirty Little Secret before with this my Boogie and went back to using the amp's gain when the DLS just didn't seem to do it for me. But I decided to give it another go-round after spending the better part of a week re-setting the EQ on the Boogie.

This time around I started by setting the boogie's clean channel to a more Blues approved setting and really taking my time to listen and make sure I was getting as "Fender-ish" a tone as I could. Next I opened up the DLS and turned the internal presence control off completely and damned it that didn't do the trick! Kind of kick myself for not being patient enough to work this out the first time around but live and learn.

I was briefly thinking about selling the Boogie to buy one of the newer Marshall 1x12 combos but honestly I am really loving the Dirty Little Secret's tone and feel, and considering the Boogie's build quality I think I might be better off using it as a pedal platform. Excuse to pick up a Formula 5! So for the time being I and happy to be getting those ABB & ACDC tones out of a Boogie! Have mercy!

MCG

lostpoet2

Silver Supporting Member
The DLS is a great pedal. Spending the better part of a week setting the EQ on a Boogie cracked me up-so typical!

catalinbread

I have been using a Mesa Boogie Rocket 44 these past couple of years. It's the first Mesa that I have owned and spent a good deal of time with. In that time I have gone through the EQ learning curve of finding my setting, revisiting the users manual more that once and changing the EQ and preamp gain to get a tone that would work for the Southern & Blues Rock that I play. Well as nice as this amp is I just prefer the texture of a "British" style crunch. I had tried the Dirty Little Secret before with this my Boogie and went back to using the amp's gain when the DLS just didn't seem to do it for me. But I decided to give it another go-round after spending the better part of a week re-setting the EQ on the Boogie.

This time around I started by setting the boogie's clean channel to a more Blues approved setting and really taking my time to listen and make sure I was getting as "Fender-ish" a tone as I could. Next I opened up the DLS and turned the internal presence control off completely and damned it that didn't do the trick! Kind of kick myself for not being patient enough to work this out the first time around but live and learn.

I was briefly thinking about selling the Boogie to buy one of the newer Marshall 1x12 combos but honestly I am really loving the Dirty Little Secret's tone and feel, and considering the Boogie's build quality I think I might be better off using it as a pedal platform. Excuse to pick up a Formula 5! So for the time being I and happy to be getting those ABB & ACDC tones out of a Boogie! Have mercy!

MCG
Not suggesting that you're doing this but a lot of folks do when approaching the DLS, they look at the tonestack as an "EQ" which is a bit problematic from the get go. I haven't read the DLS manual in awhile but perhaps we could have driven home the point a bit better. The tonestack in the DLS (or any of our Foundation Overdrives) was taken directly from the actual amps circuits and tuned to interact with gain stages inside the pedal to behave like the tonestacks do in the actual amps gain stages. So if you take a Super Bass and crank up the PREAMP you're gonna wanna roll the bass way back and bring up the mids and treble, otherwise the pedal will become flubby, much like the amp. If the DLS had a true EQ, a player could approach the pedal with the tone set to noon I suppose. But we have always found with such traditional "EQ" controls you lose the behavior and interaction between the tonestack and the gain structures that make the actual amp behave the way that they do!

Rango

Silver Supporting Member
It simplified my board bumping a couple of others off... It works so well it's my goto dirt. ;)

playthecray

Silver Supporting Member
Which verison of the DLS are you referring to V1?

MCG

MCG

playthecry-It's the latest version, III I believe.

Catalinbread- Thanks for you reply. I just used the term "EQ" to keep from having to type our Bass, Mid, Treble, ;) I hope this doesn't confuse any one.

lostpoet2- Ya, I had gone back numerous times over the past two years to find the tone I had in my head. The Mesa tone just isn't me I've found.

MCG

Trending Topics