Back to the past: how many of you got rid of nowadays "vintage" pedals?

mici

Since I was born in 1988, which is in fact some time after Boss PH-1, SP-1 or CE-2 was released, I often wonder: how many of you traded/sold/dump for few dollars late 70s / early 80s pedals that cost a fortune nowadays because of a vintage hype?

Whenever I scroll through ebay and I see crazy prices I came to thinking: finding on uncle's attict a box filled with mint 80's Boss, Ibanez and MXR pedals could make you almost a millionaire these days.

Last edited:

Jahn

Listens to Johnny Marr, plays like John Denver
Silver Supporting Member
Well I used to have a silver Klon with no horsey man on it. Hmm if I held onto it maybe I coulda made a few more bucks on it, but I'm fine with what I got for it.

I'm holding onto my CE-1 haha.

chankgeez

Since I was born in 1988, which is in fact some time after Boss PH-1, SP-1 or CE-2 was released, I often wonder: how many of you traded/sold late 70s / early 80s pedals that cost a fortune nowadays because of a vintage hype?

Whenever I scroll through ebay and I see crazy prices I came to thinking: finding on uncle's attict a box filled with mint 80's Boss, Ibanez and MXR pedals could make you almost a millionaire these days.
o_O

dcbc

I came up in my pedal buying in the early to mid 90s when people were dumping those 70s/80s pedals and Silverface Fenders. So I'm sort of the opposite side of the equation.

/proud owner of a $60 Ross Compressor

Squatch57

Not to mention the number of pedals thrown in the trash because they weren't worth fixing
I once threw away a Shei-ni FY fuzz because it was cheaper to buy a new one for $17.95 than get it fixed
(admittedly this was in 1970)
I saw one on ebay last week for $500...go figure?

I don't have a great story, but I remember when new civil war muffs were like $50 at ams. I thought they looked like pieces of ****.

If I had a time machine I would go back and spend $10,000 on a bunch of them. Could sell them for $100,000+ these days. Thanks, Gilmour.

Laurence

Gold Supporting Member
I don't have a great story, but I remember when new civil war muffs were like $50 at ams. I thought they looked like pieces of ****.

If I had a time machine I would go back and spend $10,000 on a bunch of them. Could sell them for $100,000+ these days. Thanks, Gilmour.
I remember seeing them blown out for as low as $39.95, and many of us thought they sounded like crap.

Squatch57

others I shouldn' t have sold in hindsight..
Mutron collection (Bi-phase, octave & 2 MutronIII's)
Oberheim S/H filter
Tychobrahe pedalflanger
Korg filter pedal (the two piece set version)

then again it can work the other way...a guy offered me $250 for my Blue Box before they were reissued

TheoDog

Silver Supporting Member
I think I almost understand the OP.
We have seen posters here occasionally stumble upon the stompbox equivalent to the 59 burst under grandpas bed. Stuff like the full MXR Sales Demo Board come to mind.

My daydream is to stumble into a rural town that doesn't have the internet, but does have a pawn shop.

I had a mid-80's Boss DM-2 that I bought new when I was a teenager for around $80. I used it for a year or two back then, but never really bonded with it (too short of a delay time) and stuck it back in its box for nearly 3 decades. Last summer I pulled it out thinking with maturity I should try it again and see what I was missing all these years, and still didn't find any love or use for it, so I sold it for $400. I really don't see what people like about that pedal., but obviously some people love them. Apparently that one had some magic mojo that I just couldn't hear.

Cheers
TRJB

Pablomago

Another former grey Ross comp owner. I think I paid $35 for mine. Sold it for not a lot more. Then Phish got famous.

I also had a Civil War Muff that a friend gave me. It had been sitting in an acoustic music store for ages, so he got it cheap and sent it to me. I never really bonded with it and sold it to a punk rock chick in NYC for next to nothing who loved it. I hope she's still out there rocking it.

On the other hand, I found an early block logo Dyna-Comp in a pawn shop next to two recent model ones for $39.99. And I got a free Boss DC-2 when I bought an ART X-15 MIDI pedal at another. And a Space Echo RE-150 for $50.00.

mrpinter

Silver Supporting Member
I've owned and sold several of those vintage prizes: a Boss DC-2 Dimension C and a DC-3 Digital Dimension, a few PN-2 Stereo Pan Tremolos, several PQ-4 Parametric Equalizers, a CE-2, and some others I can't recall at the moment. I got what I considered fair prices for them - I didn't give them away. If I'm not using a piece of gear I typically will sell it. Maybe that's not a good investment strategy, but it keeps down the clutter.

MartinCliffe

Had an original Marshall Bluesbreaker and a big chip MIJ Boss DD-3 that I let go for far less money than I should.

I sold a bunch that'd probably be worth money today.

60s Fender Blender
60s Vox wah
'72(?) Big Muff Pi
Maestro Full Range Booster
Maestro Phase Shifter
Maestro Ring Modulator
Mu-Tron III
70s script logo MXRs: Dynacomp, Distortion+, Blue Box
Had a first year MXR Stereo Chorus too, but I don't know id they ever became collectible.

But what I miss most is two beautiful clean Echoplexes. Sold 'em both when I switched to an MXR Digital Delay Series II which I still own but don't use.

Still have my Frogg Compu-Sound too; I gigged with that right up until the mid-90s.

dougb415

Back in the 70s I bought one of the original brand new Big Muffs, and then a few years laters got this new MXR Phase 90. They were both pretty cool, no idea what happened to them.

tbader

I think I almost understand the OP.
We have seen posters here occasionally stumble upon the stompbox equivalent to the 59 burst under grandpas bed. Stuff like the full MXR Sales Demo Board come to mind.

My daydream is to stumble into a rural town that doesn't have the internet, but does have a pawn shop.
I keep trying that. It's always low end stuff for too much.

45 dollars for a Digitech Grunge; things like that.

Trending Topics