Back to Vintage Amps?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by wildogs, Dec 17, 2009.

1. wildogs

wildogs Member

Anyone else finding themselves shedding off boutique and getting back to vintage amps? I am ending(?) up with just a few vintage Fender and vintage Marshall amps, and keeping only two boutique pieces. Just bought a '66 Pro Reverb. Not just because I want "vintage" stuff, because you know what you are getting. It just seems less confusing, but maybe I'm getting lazy.

2. GTRJohnny

GTRJohnny Member

Not for me... I'm doing the reverse. I'm selling my vintage amps. Want to buy them? ;)

3. GA19RVT

GA19RVT Member

Some boutiques are becoming vintage.

4. Fishtale

Fishtale Supporting Member

I went through a stage of trying various boutique brandsand really liked most of them. However, I guess that I'm just a sucker fo the old stuff.

5. StratTone

StratTone Member

Can't beat the old stuff. I do like the new stuff as well but I'll make my own or go vintage. Hell but then again I love and still play the hell out of my stock DRRI.

6. franksguitar

franksguitar Member

Sometimes you just can't beat the sound of an old blackface pre CBS Fender

7. Jahn

Jahn Listens to Johnny Marr, plays like John Denver Gold Supporting Member

ayep, went boutique for a bit, now i'm back to the vintage stuff. picked up a Blackface Pro Reverb too, and a JMI-era Vox AC10 Twin. Good amps.

8. fullerplast

fullerplast Senior Member

:agree I've gone boutique and back to vintage several times. Of course, not everything boutique is a "better mousetrap" version of a vintage piece, either....

9. TRawker

TRawker Member

Agreed. There are like...1000 dudes out there trying to break into the boutique market, and there's a reason a lot of them use words like "tweed" or "blackface" to describe their amps. I have no problem playing a good replica though.

10. Ocelot

Ocelot Member

I have two boutique amps and the only thing that concerns me is repairs down the road, and I mean years down the road when, morbid as it may be, some builders will have passed on to the boutique home in the sky. I don't know squat about the technical side of amps, but if a transformer dies on an old Fender I know I'll be able to buy a replacement. But if your (insert boutique amp)'s transformer dies, will you even be able to determine the specs of the transformer, let alone find a suitable replacement? I really don't know the answer to that.

11. Tidewater Custom Shop

Tidewater Custom Shop Performance Enhancing Guitarworks Supporting Member

I started mainstream (Peavy, Sunn, etc), then tried boutique (Tophat, Dr Z, etc) - what is a Mesa Lonestar? boutique or mainstream? - but I turned to vintage after I picked up a 65 Deluxe Reverb. I was convinced its tone was unmatched by virtue of being 40 years old.

I now have a 68 Bassman and a 87 Marshall JCM800... traded my '70 Vibro Champ. I'd really like to get some more vintage Fender and Marshall brand, but I can only afford to keep a couple at a time.

The 65 DR is a keeper. The JCM800 and Bassman are potential fodder to offset future acquisitions.

HOWEVER - since the price of a true vintage tweed Deluxe surpasses my budget for the time being, I picked up a Clark 5E3 and lemme tell ya... it is a damn fine peice of gear.

12. FredW

FredW Member

Vintage for me. The funny thing is you can buy the vintage amps cheaper than most of the boutique stuff

13. soldersucker

soldersucker Member

:agree
    Thank god boutiqes are scarce up here in the great white north.I will have to settle for my Plexi's, Blackfaces and tweeds :rolleyes:

14. yabasta

yabasta Member

Bam!

Exactly.

15. strings

strings Member

I never left the vintage and now I'm vintage ;)

16. saltydogg

saltydogg Rock & Roll Enthusiast Gold Supporting Member

I started with primarily "re-issues" and that led to a few vintage models and just recently ventured into the clone or, rather, boutique market and picked up a Metro and Soultone- which both are very cool in their own way.

I also have an Allen "Old Flame" head due in tomorrow.

These boutique builders really have their shite together with these builds I'm seeing and customer service has been great although I've had no problems to report.

17. kelvinator60

kelvinator60 Member

I have owned plenty of old amps. I love my Allen Encore and love the service I get from David. Having said that I still have my old Deluxe Reverb and it is going nowhere so I guess I have a foot in both camps.

18. Michael Hunter

Michael Hunter Supporting Member

Don't know if it technically counts as vintage, but the Rivera-era Fender Princeton Reverb II I picked up last month definitely has "it." My small/club amp search has ended, as far as I'm concerned. I've played and gone through many amps as of late, and have built a couple of David Allen's excellent kits. For whatever reason, this one's got the sound.

19. DavidLopezJr

DavidLopezJr Member

Exactly. So much less research has to be done on this amp. Actually for most none really has to be done and that makes the consumer want to buy because they know what it can do.

20. wildogs

wildogs Member

Thanks for the comments. Like I said I am keeping two boutique pieces but keep coming back to vintage stuff. Still, it's nice that the boutique builders get their due for all the headway the have made in certain areas.