Back When I Played Actual Jazz . . .

Discussion in 'Member Video and Sound Clips' started by crazy4blues, Dec 4, 2005.

1. crazy4blues

crazy4blues Member

No, I haven't always been a bar-blues guitar hack.

There was once upon a time when I played double bass. These recordings were done in the late 80s, and they actually won me a scholarship at the New School in NY, but, alas, I couldn't attend, as I was headed to Ball State to work on an MA in English. Yes, I sometimes wonder what might have been . . . Ah, well, I hope you like these.

Please let me know what you think.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=260265

2. EricT

EricT Member

Very nice! Really liked the band interplay on Pfrancing, and very cool playing on There is no greater love.
    What made you change to guitar, and give up on jazz?

3. crazy4blues

crazy4blues Member

Thank you, Eric. I won't say that I "gave up" on jazz completely; I'm just on about a 15 year hiatus at the moment.

Basically, I got burnt out on the daily 4-8 hour practice sessions, the low-paying gigs, the varying level of musical quality. Still, those were some fun years during the heady college days.

I ended up switching back to guitar (I had tried to play jazz guitar before bass, but that just didn't work out) because there always seemed to be a little less pressure on mastering blues guitar. Of course, I'm finding that this is less and less true, but I'm having a lot of fun playing blues guitar, even if I know that I'm just one among several million, which was a lot different from when I played the bass, that's for sure!