backing chords w/ drums & rhythm

Discussion in 'Member Video and Sound Clips' started by tedm, May 16, 2006.

1. tedm

tedm Gold Supporting Member

2. marinblues

marinblues Member

Nice and loud, Ted. Was there a bass there as well?

3. tedm

I'm not sure. There wasn't a bass player in person, but there might be some bass in that rhythm pattern that is coming from a keyboard to mixer.

4. marinblues

marinblues Member

Thanks Ted. I've been working on my bass playing lately so these things interest me know.:RoCkIn

5. tedm

I think however, that as guitar players more and more tune down and use these octave down pedals, that bass playing may become obsolete :p . Note that Sleater Kinney, the leading rock band of our time :BluesBros , has no bass player and bass is not lacking in their tunes either.:Devil

6. marinblues

marinblues Member

You might have a point...check out this guy, Charlie Hunter. There are quite a few free mp3 downloads on his site:

http://www.charliehunter.com/audio/index.htm

Marin

7. Sub-D

Sub-D Guest

yes!! Ted check him out on a tune called "spanish Joint" on D'angelo's record vooDoo. That said Pino Palladino makes a real strong case that great bass playing is what still makes a track jump on the rest of the alblum.....

8. tedm

Thanks for the link, lots of free tunes, and great jazz tones. The bass lead lines are pretty subtle to me in these free downloads, but yes, they're very good and interesting that he is playing bass and guitar at the same time.

9. tedm

Yup, can't replicate that with a pedal!! I only listened to the first 30 seconds of "Spanish Joint" in low res. but the bass does stand out. Did check out downloads, and find it quite funny that many of D'angelo's tunes have the explicit lyrics warning, but a tune called "sh-t, d-mn, mofo(spelled out the completely)" doesn't have the warning!! (on napster).

Another tune that has impressive bass notes from the beginning is the DVD-A stereo version of "Out on the Weekend" on the neil young harvest tune. Bass you can feel and makes the music more live sounding is good.