Backing Track/Chop Job inspired by Normster: Hydra!!

Red Ant

Yes, the Grover Washington Jr classic funk track. After seeing Norm pull a track together using the Allman Bros Stormy Monday intro, i thought to myself "Self, you've been looping tracks for rappers for 15 years, why not for a backing track??" :)

Hydra

Have fun, Y'all :)

Here's my 1st take. Not wild about the playing, not wild about the tone, but its getting late & i'm tired - may try another tomorrow morning ;)

Ed DeGenaro

Silver Supporting Member
Originally posted by Red Ant
Yes, the Grover Washington Jr classic funk track. After seeing Norm pull a track together using the Allman Bros Stormy Monday intro, i thought to myself "Self, you've been looping tracks for rappers for 15 years, why not for a backing track??" :)

Hydra

Have fun, Y'all :)

Here's my 1st take. Not wild about the playing, not wild about the tone, but its getting late & i'm tired - may try another tomorrow morning ;)
Dude, the playing and tone are happening. I gotta hit this one!

scottl

Ant, is this backing in tune? I went to hit it last night and my axe was really out with it. I even used my Peterson...

Red Ant

Originally posted by scottl
Ant, is this backing in tune? I went to hit it last night and my axe was really out with it. I even used my Peterson...
Its somewhere AROUND C# ;) I have a feeling those cats didn't bother with a tuner and just tuned to Bob James' Fender Rhodes. I actually tuned to standard and just bent enough notes to come close ;)

If i didn't make it clear, i didnt PLAY the backing, i just edited and looped parts of the original :D

Normster

Badass backing and cool playing, Ant. As far as it being out of tune...I play sharp anyway so it won't matter. ;)

Rid

:D Ah yeah this is cool....man I gotta get my turntable back in action, I miss my old records.
Loved it Ant.

Leonc

Wild Gear Hearder
Platinum Supporting Member
Well, I've intentionally not listened to anyone else's take. Hope I don't sound like a clown.

Orange Hydra

Hey anyone seen my floppy shoes? :p

rwe333

Silver Supporting Member
My goodness... just tune to it by ear!
Like most all workin' jazz cats. ;)

OT:
Ever read Goodrick's "Advancing Guitarist"?
He doesn't dig tuners - thinks it messes w/ ear training... (to paraphrase)

scottl

Originally posted by rwe333
My goodness... just tune to it by ear!
Like most all workin' jazz cats. ;)

Actually if I had more than 2 minutes.... I had to grab my B1. It was out of tune. I tuned it. It was worse. I had to go to work...... I can tune by ear to the backing, as soon as I get a chance to record again.

:D

rwe333

Silver Supporting Member
Actually if I had more than 2 minutes.... I had to grab my B1. It was out of tune. I tuned it. It was worse. I had to go to work...... I can tune by ear to the backing, as soon as I get a chance to record again.

:D
Whew - had me worried there...

Trending Topics