Backup Amp-in your pocket

bluegrif

One place has it for $143 (they have the 22 for $106). You should be able to score a Power Block on eBay for around $75.

Yeah, that's what I thought given the Powerblocks were last sold new at around $99. But guess what? On ebay they seem to be going for at least $130 or more.

The 44 looks like a good option for an emergency backup. I have a POD HD300 I've used solely for recording and I imagine that into the EH 44 it would get me through the show nicely. I run vintage Fenders and hauling a spare is a real pain, literally. So once I got the POD HD and heard how good it sounds, I immediately made plans to haul it along for backup. Plugging into the PA is fine when a sound company is handling the FOH at larger shows. But not such a good option at club gigs. My first thought was Crate Powerblock but when I saw the EH unit I have to admit that sounds like the ideal solution. I'd be happy to hear more feedback from those who've actually tried it at stage volumes.

germs

Yeah, that's what I thought given the Powerblocks were last sold new at around $99. But guess what? On ebay they seem to be going for at least $130 or more.

that's because the PB does it all. power a cab (guitar or bass), XLR out, FX loop...you name it. they'll be in demand until there are no more available for repair or sale.

so, does this thing power a cab? or straight to the board? or either?

straight into a cab. honestly don't know how long they're meant to hold up for...i'm intrigued about trying one for a main cab and giving the tube heads a rest (don't really need more than 44w these days), but no one's really putting quality demos out right now of them...so either they aren't selling that well or they're doing what they're supposed to do...if that helps.

Blue Bee

Silver Supporting Member
any new reports on the 44 magnum?

probably gonna get one or the lunchbox... not many you tube vids on it though

Blue Bee

Silver Supporting Member
got my 44 magnum, loving it. plenty head room...with my ethos pedal it freakin doubles the clean headroom. very natural tubey tone and reaction.

torquil

That's pretty cool right there.
Now if only they could just make speakers and cab super small but good sounding and loud.....that would be awesome!

Use your guitar case as the speaker cabinet:

silvertone-amp-case.jpg

Blue Bee

Silver Supporting Member
heres a little review of the eh 44 magnum (i posted in a crate pb thread):

i do jazz gigs with it, using the ethos clean channel as a pre amp/eq. im using a very light weight tele w/ vintage vibe cc pickup in neck pos.
i keep the volume on the 44 at 9:00, and on the ethos @ between 12:00 - 3:00.

the 44 mag starts breaking up above 9:00, but at that point it is pretty close to deluxe reverb in headroom id say (maybe closer to princeton/bj...maybe not quite ur cup of tea)....oh yea its a crate pb thread... the crate pb does have a good bit more (3-4x)headroom when going in the back rca input, on the front input maybe twice as much (but i dont like the tone of the front input). so for me its a matter of portability as well. im using a light, small pine cab w neo 12" and the 44 velcro'd inside, weighs less than 15 lbs. and a pt nano w/ ethos, turbo tuner, echopark, and chicklet (pwr by a 1spot).

i do recommend a nice eq or preamp. the ethos def gives it a boost in the headroom department (even with 9v onespot adapter). but im going for kind of between a blackface princeton and deluxe reverb type clean tone. (for jazz think kenny burrel, grant green, wes)

the drive section of the ethos really reacts nicely with the 44 as well. just fun if you like a portable rig for smaller gigs and jams. i gotta say most of the gigs i do are still low volume, with the drummer using brushes and rods. and when it gets much louder, im usualy using more of the drive channel, so crisp cleans is not that important to me. i have some decent live clips using the ethos, mainly drive stuff. i might post them or wait till i get something better quality.

the price is def worth giving it a try... i left mine on all night a while back, and it was not even warm, seems real solid quality. im sure we'll be seeing more pedals like this in the future, hopefully with more headroom and more options.

hope this helps...

Sirloin

Silver Supporting Member
I have a 44 magnum and think it sounds great. I used to have a power block and and IMO the 44 magnum sounds much better and more tube amp like. Headroom could possibly be an issue in a loud band, but a 2x12 w/ efficient speakers should handle just about any situation. I used mine w/ a single g12t75 last sat night and was very happy with it. That speaker is rated at 97db efficiency though. Will probably try a more efficient speaker in the future for a little more headroom. I used the 44 mag for cleans/slightly borken up sound, then used a barber direct drive for dirty/lead work. simple, small, light setup. Highly recommend the 44 magnum. I do own a Fender Pro Junior and Germino Lead 55 as well.

Dave_C

I have a 44 magnum and think it sounds great. I used to have a power block and and IMO the 44 magnum sounds much better and more tube amp like. Headroom could possibly be an issue in a loud band, but a 2x12 w/ efficient speakers should handle just about any situation. I used mine w/ a single g12t75 last sat night and was very happy with it. That speaker is rated at 97db efficiency though. Will probably try a more efficient speaker in the future for a little more headroom. I used the 44 mag for cleans/slightly borken up sound, then used a barber direct drive for dirty/lead work. simple, small, light setup. Highly recommend the 44 magnum. I do own a Fender Pro Junior and Germino Lead 55 as well.

So, did you ever miss not having any EQ for straight in clean tones? I noticed this box when it first came out and thought it'd be a GREAT backup for when I'm using my pedalboard-for-dirt rigs, but wondered about the lack of EQ.

Sirloin

Silver Supporting Member
So, did you ever miss not having any EQ for straight in clean tones? I noticed this box when it first came out and thought it'd be a GREAT backup for when I'm using my pedalboard-for-dirt rigs, but wondered about the lack of EQ.

I didn't find it to be a problem. Sounds full with a good cab. I'm sure an EQ pedal on a board could tweek it, but I was very happy with it as it is.

DStout

Wasn't Suhr going to release a Pedalamp for that purpose? Does anyone know if that is already available?

DStout

I remember a prototype of a pedalamp of some sorts being played at one of the amp shows last year. Now I think about it, I guess it was a prototype pedalamp made by Fuchs. Sorry for the mistake. :jo

Trending Topics

Top Bottom