backup delay - Carbon Copy or DD3?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Pizang, Oct 23, 2008.

1. Pizang

Pizang Member

Hi,

I have the H2O, like both sides. unfortunatly the echo side died on me and as I don't live in the US, the dealer has to send it out (not for two more weeks...) and then I'll have to wait for it to get fixed, wait for the shippment back... you get the picture.
    Anyway, I was thinking that maybe it is time to have a backup dely. I have known the DD3 for a long time and I know it an "OK" delay, reliable etc (never owned one). I also saw that new Carbon Copy. any suggestions or thoughts on which one should I buy? I'll do the search here on each of them and I'll try both in the store, but I was just interested to hear (read) what the guys here have to say... please chime in!

thanks.

2. Prodigy

Prodigy Senior Member

I traded a couple DD3's for the Wampler Analog Echo. I like it lots better than the DD3 (harsh artifacts, sterile sounding) and the Carbon Copy (too dark) IMO. No modulation, but I don't use it so I don't need it.

3. SomniferousEyes

SomniferousEyes Member

Apples and oranges.

DD-3 (MIJ version) - clear, cold, sterile.
    CC - Dark & warm and oscillates.

Digital vs analog.

4. frmorales52

frmorales52 Member

I only have one issue with my MIJ, AM moded DD-3: It eats batteries.

5. jlagrassa

jlagrassa Supporting Member

DD-3 has been around for a good reason..... its a very good delay I recommend the DD-3!

6. shngn7

shngn7 Member

I love the warm delay of the Carbon Copy and the modulation is perfect for me. Never played a DD3 though. Had a DD6 and didn't like it much if that counts.

7. JZG

JZG Member

Depends on what you're looking for. My guess is that the H2O's delay probably falls somewhere between the CC and the DD-3. If you want warm delay that will add some character, go for the CC. If you want something more transparent that won't get in the way as much, go for the DD-3. I have both the CC and a DD-2 sittin' on my board.

8. Franklin

Franklin Member

I have a DD3 and like it. I loved it once I got the Analogman Hi cut mod. It made it analog-ish sounding. I can't tell you about the Carbon Copy or compare tones with the H2O though.

9. Lucidology

Lucidology Member

Agree ... it really, really sounds good ... plus it makes a good buffer at the end of the line..

I own a Mad Professor Deep Blue Delay, a Carbon Copy and the DD-3

All three are excellent ...
    However, I will honestly say that the DD-3 is capable
    of a particular type of subtle & sweet delay sound I miss when I use the others...
    This is how the delay works best IMO...

The Deep Blue is actually a delay that is touch sensitive...(way fun)
    The Carbon Copy is the thickest sounding of the three ..

The DD-3 can be set to be the least obvious (that's how I use it)
    and like a compressor I can leave it on all the time..
    Really notice when I turn it off ..

10. gtrshow

gtrshow Member

I was all set to get a Carbon Copy as a backup delay, but ended up buying a Digitech DL-8 instead. I'm liking the DL-8 a lot. It's the first digital delay I've gotten along with, but I still wonder what I'm missing with the CC.

11. gibson08

gibson08 Member

Def +1 on the Hardwire, just bought the DL-8 Delay and the RV-7 Reverb and those are the best pedals I have bought in a long time!! User friendly and great sounds!!!!

12. forum_crawler

forum_crawler Member

I have the H2O and I am very happy with the pedal, the chorus is fantastic and so is the echo. It might not be a "full featured" delay, but it certainly sounds very nice. I wasn't much of a delay guy, but after getting my H2O I can't believe I did so long without one!

I was going to suggest the Carbon Copy, but the DL-8 really does a good job at creating analog sounds, plus more. If you are only interested in getting a backup delay and continue using the H2O as your main delay, you should certainly give the DL-8 a close look; that thing has plenty of usable sounds and you won't be committing yourself to purely analog, or purely digital sounds, plus, you get a looper, tap tempo, and true bypass! :crazy

13. Pizang

Pizang Member

thank you guys!

I'll check out the DL8 as well.