Bad Bob as purely as a clean boost

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by daphil_1, Jul 3, 2006.

1. daphil_1

daphil_1 Member

Hello all,

I am thinking of getting a bad bob boost to use as an "on all the time" clean boost. I know it is a little more gainy than other boosts - but I love the presence it has in the soundclips. I was thinking of running it at around 9/10 o'clock.

Does anyone have experience using the bad bob for this application? Any bad bob users - feel free to share any info you have regarding this pedal.

Cheers!!

2. drolling

drolling Member

The guys over at the tele page love this pedal for just that purpose, but it does have a bit of grit that can't be dialed out - so you'll never have a totally *clean* sound..

3. bobgoblin

bobgoblin Supporting Member

mine lives at maybe 8 o'clock, that's as high as i can get it without sending my amp into howlin' submission. yeah, that bad bob is a bad mutha.....

4. The Gainster

The Gainster Member

If you want a clean boost ...get a Master Blaster. GREAT pedal. If you want to add just a bit o grit...get a Bad Bob.

5. ChrisP

ChrisP Member

I LOVE my bad bob boost and it is great for what you want, among other things.

FYI you can run it at 18V for even 'more'.

6. Jeffj

Jeffj Supporting Member

I use a Bad Bob & run it "straight up" (12:00) & have it on all the time. I use it almost exclusivly as a clean boost & it sounds great. I use it through a 52 tele ri & a 66' Pro Reverb. I have no problems with it being too "gritty". I dont run my amp real hot either, volume is usually between 3-4. With the Bad Bob on around 12:00, that is very loud....great pedal & construction is flawless...

7. hemlock

hemlock Guest

Mine stays on all the time at about 9:00. Plenty of boost at that level and grit is not a problem at all.

8. BillyK

BillyK Supporting Member

I loved my Bad Bob Boost for a couple of years, then I got an RC so I can dial in or out the amount of grit or clean boost that I want. I really prefer the RC.

Great product from a great builder.

9. Bopcat

Bopcat Member

I have a Bad Bob and use it with a 52RI Tele into either an SF Champ or SF Princeton. I keep the Bad Bob at 12 o'clock and the amps at 4-6. It adds a defined edge of grit and enhances the vintage sound. It's not perfectly clean and unless you can turn it up to 10 o'clock or more I think you're missing the point of the booster (unity on mine is about 9 o'clock). There's lots of stuff about the Bad Bob at the Telecaster Guitar Forum if you search Bad Bob in the Stompbox section. I got mine from Analog Man.

10. GzsMuzik

GzsMuzik Member

I run mine at about 12:30 with my MIM Strat and about 12:00 with my MIM 72 Thinline Tele RI (buckers). The BB stays on all the time. It's great for slamming my front end and adding a little grit. Makes for a nice greasy blues tone at low volume. Been a constant on my gig board for about three years now, maybe four. It's not going anywhere..... :)