• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Bad case of GAS for a Les Paul Signature T--what are your experiences?

bender

I am sure this is a common issue here.

I have a bad case of GAS for Les Paul Signature T in Wine Red. (2013? model, might be a 2012)

I can get one new here for about $2100AUD -- significantly down on list price.
That's about $1844.45 USD

Thing is, I have a Les Paul Paul Landers Signature with EMG 66/57--do I really need another guitar (no).

Can I afford to? Sort of.
Can I hide it easily from my wife? Probably.
Should I do it? If I get hit by a bus next week, definitely. Otherwise, not sure.

I have 14 guitars or so (you can see my first post for a list).

Convince me to not buy or buy it today :) -- anyone with significant experience with the Signature T? Love it or hate it?

I will check back online in about 2 hours.

--Bender

bender

Oh I'm at the shop, comparing the Sig T to a Trad Pro. Might go Trad Pro.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Coldacre

tell me what you end up paying.

I bought a 2013 Trad recently (Melbourne). the lowest I could get was $2700. a signature T for $2100 is REALLY good for AUS

Mtnbkr123

I bought a Vintage Sunburst Boxing Day in Canada for $1300ish CDN with case (and it's a nice case). I walked in with a $250 gift certificate from my daughter intending to buy some Yamaha monitors, and left with a new T. Total impulse purchase. Totally exciting, and a great decision. I think it was a really good deal. A steal actually.

I have a week left to return it if I want, but I am 99.9% it is not going back.

I had some problems at the beginning getting used to the 60s "slim taper" neck. Slim my ass. Coming from the Schecter side of things it's like a baseball bat. I'm over that now though and liking it more and more every time I play it.

The nut is brutal though, although I understand that is par for the course for most Gibsons. My G sticks like crazy. I am re-tuning that string every 15 minutes or so, with a nice big "PING" every now and then in response. Easy fix though, as it hasn't even been set up yet by the dealer. I bought it from a sealed box (after opening it and playing it at the store).

I also thought my frets needed some polishing, and maybe they do, but things are one hell of a lot better after changing the strings and adding a little Fast Fret. My action is excellent although I have some fret buzzing, but nothing that is picked up through my amps.

I have a free set up included, but I may slip them a 50 or a 100 and ask them to go to town. I know a bunch of them there really well so I am not concerned - it will be a gem once I get the tech to give it a thorough once over.

Not sure I will ever have much use for the split coils but those 57s rock. Hard. I can get anything I want out of them, and it's getting better and better as I get more used to them. Definitely no pup swap required.

One thing though - I have a plain truss rod cover on order to replace the T Mobile one that is on there. LOL! What the hell were they thinking? That's the only blemish on this guitar, IMHO. The grenadillo fretboard is awesome. I raise the bull **** flag on anyone who claims there is a difference, feel-wise or sonically, from a rosewood fretboard (and I also understand that Grenadilo IS a type of rosewood). The slightly lighter colour looks awesome.

Here's an iPhone pic with the stock gold speed knobs swapped out for black ones, and the pickguard removed...I love how it looks with and without the pickguard, and with either set of knobs.

Anyway, I love it and have been playing for hours every single day since I got it. I am actually blown away by it. I think it was the best deal I saw for all of 2013 on guitars, which is why I grabbed it -- absolutely no regrets and I am just as excited right now as I was when I walked out with it.

PS -- that wine coloured one is incredible. Super sexy. I guess my view is that it all comes down to playability and whether it hooks you when you see it (and play it). With 14 guitars though, I know I need not say obvious things like that to you. I sure love mine. I am playing 10x more now that I bought it so for me, it was a no-brainer.

Last edited:

bender

Mmmm so I went in, originally aiming for the Signature T, having played it before in comparison to a 50s p90 tribute (which I also liked apart from the LPJ-like finish). Sound-wise, I felt that the Signature T gave me a bit more versatility (I may suck as a player but I use different guitars depending on the songs I am playing). When I played the Signature T, it was a wine red one. However, when I had arrived today that one had been sold. I also had a faulty memory regarding the price--$2299 AUD. Only Alpine White-Burst (ugh), and Translucent Ebony left.

Right, $2299 opens up a few more options for me. What about that Chris Cornell ES-335 I tried out once? Could they bring that down a bit? Still, too expensive.

I eyed some of the Epiphone Les Pauls as I had heard some of the pricier ones are actually quite nice, but the ones I had looked at had USB and stereo outputs (lots of features) . . . but they just didn't seem to have the styley I was looking for. I really should have tried them though--I shouldn't be so prejudiced.

I look over at another wall, the main 'Gibson wall'--and there for $200 more they had an ebony Les Paul Traditional Pro (2012, I believe)--coil taps etc.--so comparable to the Signature T. It did 'feel' a bit heavier (only by feel--unscientific).

I spent the next 20 minutes playing the Signature T and the ebony Traditional Pro through a Mesa Boogie 5:50. I preferred the sound of the Traditional Pro--it seemed more 'growly'--but they were both great guitars. I didn't mind either neck. With the variety of guitars I have, I have gotten used to a variety of necks. I checked out other colours of the Traditional--there was one in the wine red, but that was $300 more and it was a bit too 'grainy' for me (personal taste).

The Traditional Pro is now mine--$2500ish ($2200 USD) with a decent strap and some Schaller strap locks. I checked prices before I bought--used ones with import duties from the US would cost me about the same, so I thought fair deal, nice guitar--playing it in a jam this Wednesday. Will let people know how it works out.

I really think they big retailers are hurting here and are overstocked--I hope they make it through (remember, we rode out the GFC for the most part), but one can get some fair deals here at the moment.

--Bender

mystixboi

Silver Supporting Member
I had one for about a week and then returned it.

It played ok but I couldn't get over the salmon colored fretboard and the tuners felt cheap.

Plus I noticed that my music man y2d and luke III just completed killed it in tone and feel.

Not a bad guitar but I just didn't see enough value in keeping it

Mtnbkr123

I had one for about a week and then returned it.

It played ok but I couldn't get over the salmon colored fretboard and the tuners felt cheap.

Plus I noticed that my music man y2d and luke III just completed killed it in tone and feel.

Not a bad guitar but I just didn't see enough value in keeping it
Huh?

Salmon coloured fretboard? As in orange? Not mine.

Tuners felt cheap? Locking Grovers? Compared to what? Klusons? Cheap feeling is not how I would describe the tuners on mine.

Value? These are going for $1300, hard case included. I can return mine, no questions asked. What do you suggest is a better value at that price point? Suggest a few and I will check them out.

mystixboi

Silver Supporting Member
Yes… salmon colored… the one I got had a Granadillo fingerboard and it had a pinkish hue to it. It was so light that I tried oiling it thinking it would make the fretboard darker… no luck. It had the salmon-like hue to it.

Interesting about the tuners. I don’t recall if they were locking Grovers on the one I got. I know that is the spec, but I can’t remember what the tunes actually were. In either case, they felt cheap. But that’s just me.

$1300 is a great deal for sure. I think I got mine for about that price(Sam Ash price matched The Music Zoo pricing).

As for an alternative, maybe a used Standard or Classic LP?

Again, I’m really into my Music Man and Suhr guitars right now so I really couldn’t suggest something LP like… if you want to try the Music Man route, GC is blowing out their Music Mans right now to make room for 2014’s. Some great deals to be had for sure.

bender

The Granadillo I think is meant to look like that....the Sig T I tried had a similar look to what you describe. I'm pretty open minded about fretboard materials, but the Trad Pro I picked up I think has rosewood.

Mandrax

Nice guitar but the tops are very hit and miss, you have to be lucky to get a good one, the majority of the ones I've played barely have any flame at all. The same could be said about the granadillo fretboard, most were too light in colour, they looked odd to me, I wasn't impressed.

These are obviously aesthetic issues and to many they aren't a problem. Whilst sound is important, a guitar has to look 'right' or it will not get played enough. Incidentally the Sig T sounds and feels great, I just couldn't get past the visual issues, call me shallow, whatever, but it's important to me.

bender

Mandrax, one reason I went to the Trad Pro was that the ebony looked better than the Sig T options they had. Plus, I already have a 50s neck LP, don't mind the 60s style neck.

Mtnbkr123

Mandrax, one reason I went to the Trad Pro was that the ebony looked better than the Sig T options they had. Plus, I already have a 50s neck LP, don't mind the 60s style neck.

Not sure if I'm misunderstanding your post but the Signature T has a slimtaper 60's neck, not a 50's. And yeah - some tops I have seen have been not so good. I like mine though :)

bender

I meant that I wasn't fussed NOT buying the Sig T (I ended up buying a Traditional Pro) as I already have a Les Paul (Paul Landers Sig) with a 50s neck . . . Meaning I am okay having a 50s necked LP and a 60s necked one. Variety spice of life etc. :)

Mtnbkr123

I meant that I wasn't fussed NOT buying the Sig T (I ended up buying a Traditional Pro) as I already have a Les Paul (Paul Landers Sig) with a 50s neck . . . Meaning I am okay having a 50s necked LP and a 60s necked one. Variety spice of life etc. :)

Doesn't matter but I still don't get it. My understanding is that the neck design is the same for both the Signature T and the Traditional Pro - slimtaper 60s. If so, that's not a reason to pick one over the other.

All confusion aside, that ebony Traditional Pro is one sexy beast of a guitar. Holy crap. Congrats and enjoy!

PS - how are those Top Hats with the split coils? Easy to use?

bender

My bad, it is a 60s neck as well. You are correct (one doesn't often hear that on the Internet, eh? lol). Not sure why I was convinced of this--maybe the sales guy said something.

Well, I thought they felt similar but had been sure I had read 50s neck somewhere. In any case, it's a bit more baseball bat feel compared to my other LP. However, for some reason I thought I detected a slight difference between the necks of the Sig T and Trad Pro.

The top hats are easy to use--easy enough to pull. I have a few guitars with split coils--my Chandler Metro uses a metal knob for volume/pull to split, Maton has a button slider--I would say I am more comfortable with the pull to split, and I prefer the Top Hats as they are stiffer that the Chandler (could be age) and also a bit out of my way of strumming wildly.

I am going to jam with the Trad Pro tonight, so I will get to judge the split coils for some of our songs. I used to have to swap guitars, and I hate doing that too often.

Cheers

Bender

bender

Oh, and the clincher for me between them was:
(1) colour
(2) the trad pro sounded more growly

Mtnbkr123

Oh, and the clincher for me between them was:
(1) colour
(2) the trad pro sounded more growly
Yeah - the ebony looks awesome. I likely would have chosen that or the goldtop myself given the Grade A tops (i.e. little to no figuring). Even if they were AAA tops though, that ebony looks sexier than hell.

As for growliness, I'm a mid to high gain guy and holy crap - absolutley no complaints with the stock 57s on my Signature T. The most incredible thing for me is the clarity, even at higher gain levels. Best pups I have ever had, although maybe that speaks more to my cheapness than to anything else. Since discovering this forum, however, I have had a sizeable dent put in my wallet.

I am now just discovering some potential wiring mods, although I don't know if some are possible with the split coils.

Last edited:

bender

Yeah - the ebony looks awesome. I likely would have chosen that or the goldtop myself given the Grade A tops (i.e. little to no figuring). Even if they were AAA tops though, that ebony looks sexier than hell.

As for growliness, I'm a mid to high gain guy and holy crap - absolutley no complaints with the stock 57s on my Signature T. The most incredible thing for me is the clarity, even at higher gain levels. Best pups I have ever had, although maybe that speaks more to my cheapness than to anything else. Since discovering this forum, however, I hqave has a sizeable dent put in my wallet.

I am now just discovering some potential wiring mods, although I don't know if some are possible with the split coils.
To be completely honest, I think I would have grabbed the Sig T if the Wine Red one was still around. The Sig T had sounded great the two times I played, and I just had to try and find some difference when I tried the Trad Pro.

From what I can tell, the Burstbucker in the bridge is the main difference. It sounded hotter than the Sig T without being too hot (my other LP has EMGs, which I changed from EMG 60/81 to 57/66--cleaner, better note separation, but still need to watch the gain--I'll see how this compares).

That said, I tried it through a Mesa Boogie 5:50 in the shop, which I don't have at home, and as it was in the middle of the shop I couldn't really crank it. (They need a sound proof room).

Proof will come shortly as I am going to set up two amps today (first time) for band jam. I am thinking the Marshall 2061x into a Marshall 4x10 and Fender Prosonic (set to Class A) into my Supersonic 2x12 cabinet (fairly bassy).

I am only using a fuzz pedal, tiny bit of delay sometimes, EQ and distortion for the most part. I'll see how it all sounds!

--Bender

bender

I was thinking of editing the name of the thread to reflect the purchase of the Traditional Pro, but . . . doesn't look like I can do that.

Anyway, I finally played the guitar in 'anger' (in a proper jam) yesterday. Wow, it sounded great. Mind you I have a modified amp setup now, so that has a huge effect on the sound--but I did find the guitar versatile--worked great on the variety of songs we're working on.

The setup yesterday was playing into two different heads: Marshall 2061x into a 4x10 Marshall cab, and a Fender Prosonic head into a Supersonic 2x12. I ran the Prosonic clean through my A/B/Y chain and the Marshall had variously a Fuzz War and a Frederick Effects Harmonic Percolator (clone).

It sounded quite awesome at jam volume (loud--I wear earplugs), good contrast to the other guitarist who played his Gibson L6 and Marshall JMP 50 2x12--as well our bassist didn't show up so the other guitarist took on bass duties and I had to carry the rhythm and lead work.

The LP Trad Pro worked great for this. Sounded great. Great for rhythm, lead, and I used the coil split on the bridge for two of our songs.

I would assume the Sig T would be pretty similar.

(I should mention that we play noisy punk-influenced music, probably along the lines of 70s stuff like The Stooges mixed with some other influences (Link Wray, etc)).

--Bender

Trending Topics

Top Bottom