1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

Bad Cat 2-tone Need Help with On/Off

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by chrispatel, Oct 5, 2006.

1. chrispatel

chrispatel Supporting Member

I just got my Badcat 2-tone pedal and it sounds incredible with my Reeves amp. I haven't put it through the ringer but so far so good.

My question has to do with powering in on and off. There is no switch. The pedal is plugged in and there is a setting for true bypass. Do I just leave it plugged in true bypass mode (green light)? Will it wear down the tubes?

Advice needed!

Chris

2. Big Bob

Big Bob Guest

Don't sweat it. The pre amp tubes have a life of several thousand hours. If they are a premium tube perhaps tens of thousands of hours. At normal gigging -rehearsal schedules you should get years of duty from them.

Bob

3. chrispatel

Thanks for the response. I was just concerned with leaving it on nigh and day while I am at work. In Bypass mode are the tubes actually "on"?

Chris

4. Big Bob

Big Bob Guest

Well, I wouldn't do that. Even in bypass the tubes have current running thru them, so yes they are still on.

Its a simple thing to plug and unplug hopefully. Or maybe just plug into a power strip with an on off switch.

Bob

5. chrispatel

I took your advice and hooked up a power strip. Issue Resolved. Do you have one of these pedals? They sound great!

Chris

6. JimmyR

JimmyR Member

I love the Two-tone as well. I use a power strip with individual switches - not sure if you have those in the US (I'm in Australia).

If you like it now, you should try it with some good NOS tubes in it! I was using some old 12at7s in it for a while and it sounded great. I have NOS GE12ax7s in it right now and it's less fizzy than with the original tubes.

I have a stack of very high quality SS OD pedals but nothing sounds quite as "real" as the Two-tone. Timmy and some Menatones get close, and are very useful in their own right, but don't sound as "amp-like" as the Two-tone. I got started on the Matchless Hotbox, graduated to the Dirtbox, and now have the Two-tone. It has all the little things I didn't like about the first two sorted out.

How are you running yours? I keep gain just below 9.00 and everything else just above 9.00. I'm using it for that "just breaking up" thing, and it does it better than most amps!

Just wish it was a tad smaller.

7. Big Bob

Big Bob Guest

Naw i don't have one right now. Thinking about picking one up. However I did have a Matchless Hot Box that I played for about ten years..it was the best OD I've ever owned. I've been through a lot of tube ods since then. Hot Chilli Tubester, SIB Vari Drive and Fat Drive, Tonebone (I know they really aren't high voltage tube pedals)...etc.

Enjoy..
    Bob

8. JimmyR

JimmyR Member

Bob - if you liked the Hotbox you'll LOVE the Two-tone.

9. chrispatel

What are my tube options for the bad cat? Is re-biasing an issue with the pedal or is it straight plug-in-play?

Thanks,
    Chris

10. Tuberoast

Tuberoast Silver Supporting Member

You can plug and play. I had an Extreme Tone (I miss it!). I put a 12at7 in the innermost socket and left the 12ax7 in and it sounded great! NOS tubes, although I had some JJ's that sounded excellent too.