1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Bad Cat 2-Tone

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Beam Tetrode, Jul 31, 2006.

1. Beam Tetrode

Beam Tetrode Member

Anyone have this pedal? Any noise problems or other issues?

I am looking for a tube device to achieve modern hi-gain tones from a Super Lead. Think Mesa, Soldano, Modded Marshall...
    I have the Soldano Supercharger GTO. It sounds fantastic, but too noisy.

2. markom89

markom89 Senior Member

+1 I'd like to hear something about this pedal also. Theyre pricey, and they look like those Matchless ones that are fetchingbig money these days. So whats the deal with them?

3. Medication

Medication Member

Bad Cat is the incarnation of Matchless. I like the tube pedals. You can get them pretty cheap on ebay. Higly recommend the 2-tone.

4. yZe

yZe Senior Member

Tampa, on the Territory of Florida (D.C. Free Zone
    I like the sound out of it when going through Fendery type amps rather than Marshall

I still have mine, but it lies dormant since I have gone Marshally

It's clean channel is awesome in that you can use it to really cream things up.

It is class A pedal. I hooked it up to a POD during a session, and it was amazing

The dirt channel really puts your leads over the top and punches through the mix.
    The volume knob is pretty sensitive and can tear your head off at the flick of a finger, though

5. Noodler

Noodler Member

Built like a tank - more gain than most people need (I seriously wondered why they even need to have the X-treme Tone in the line-up). Not too noisey (no different than the gain channel on any typical tube amp). It's definitely a great tool to add some nice tube preamp tones and feed your other gear. Could even be used as a clean boost to add another gain stage to any amp.

6. Beam Tetrode

Beam Tetrode Member

Noodler, what amp are you running it into? Just curious...

7. Noodler

Noodler Member

I've run it into a number of different amps (and even direct to a power amp for testing). I mostly bought it to gain some "tubey" sound going into solid-state stuff (mostly G-K gear, 250ML, 2100SEL, ML/E), but I've also run it in front of my Blues Junior and H&K Blues Master.

Of course I purchased it before I learned about power tube distortion and the natural compression you get from power tubes. No tube preamp (or additional gain stage) is going to get you there with a solid-state amp.

8. Quinny

Quinny Member

My 2-Tone sounds fantastic into my Marshall amps.... but really bad into my Trem Cat and TremOVerb (worse with the TremO), doesn't sit in front of those too well at all. I've had some reliability issues with mine.... it went through a phase of chucking out a horrible buzzing noise, a tech looked at it and found nothing, then the problem simply went away. I also find the tone shaping knobs do their thing in the first 10% of the rotation, up to around 9 o'clock, not muuch after that at all.

That said, it is a FINE sounding pedal indeed. Get it set right with an amp it likes and it's a heavenly crunch box. The clean 'channel' is beautiful, a fantastic channel in it's own right, and as said above it also makes a great clean boost. The crunch side of it is true Bad Cat, really natural and organic crunch tones.

Q.

9. Snakum

Snakum Member

I've been looking for info on the Bad Cat pedals, as well, and have gotten some pretty good info here at TGP. I was specifically looking for clips of the Bad Cat pedals that were technically brilliant, yet soulful and 'singing'. I couldn't find anything like that ... and so had to make do with this:

http://www.vilo.net/mp3/ampsamples/Marshall/jtm45xtone/7.clip.mp3

( :D )

(Killer toneage and tunage, and a great recommendation for the BC pedals. But of course, the clips were recorded by a well-known TGP member who could make a rusted Jay Turser strat with five strings into a solid state Crate GX sound technically brilliant and heavenly sweet!)

10. leodiditright

leodiditright Member

I've tried it with my 1965 JTM45 and like it a lot but I don't want to carry such a big and heavy box at gigs.