1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Bad Cat AB-50

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by McSoappy, Jul 6, 2006.

1. McSoappy

McSoappy Member

Has anyone ever played a Bad Cat AB-50? I've been thinking about trading my Hot Cat 15 in on one down at Willcutt's in Lexington. Just wanted to see if anyone has one or has test drove one and what they thought.

Thanks!

2. McSoappy

McSoappy Member

Just wanted to bump this, as I'm for sure making the trip down to Willcutt's this Friday! Let me know guys. Thanks for any help!

3. GlueMan

GlueMan Member

When I was down there buying my Carr, I heard I guy playing that amp and it sounded good. Of course it's hard to tell when you're not the playing it.

4. markom89

markom89 Senior Member

I was considering this amp for a while, its more of a high gain amp, and its really loud. If Im not mistaken it has 3 channels I believe...thats all I know. All the Bad Cat stuff is wicked, maybe Ill pick one up later on...

5. McSoappy

McSoappy Member

It's a two channel amp I know that for sure, but you can blend the two channels together. Maybe that's what you were thinking of? They say this is takes more to drive this amp, and that's kinda what I'm looking for right now. My Hot Cat 30 usually never sees a gain setting higher than about 12:00 anyways.

Did you get a chance to play the amp?

6. McSoappy

McSoappy Member

Any specific thoughts on either the clean or dirty channel?

7. hw2nw

hw2nw Member

Hey McSoapy.

I heard it at NAMM several months back...and this amp is a beast! Big, swirly super-Fendery cleans. I heard it through a matching closed back 4x12 and it was very nice. Didn't get to hear the channel cranked, but I heard a nice high-headroom clean.

The gain channel is very thick sounding and has that signature Bad Cat "snap" or "growl" (no pun intended). You can hear every note in the chord on low gain and high gain setting. It definitely had a very 6L6 overdrive quality to it, the design is heavily based around these tubes. Clean highs, tight low end, nice flat mids. With the gain way up it put every Dual Rectifier and 5150 I've ever heard to shame...almost scary distortion! The A/B50 is so flexible that it will shine at any spot on the gain knob. Use the Bad Cat footswitch and run the two channels simultaneously for a really cool and thick tone!

That's what I can remember...hope that helps!

8. McSoappy

McSoappy Member

Oh I think that helps a little too much.......I wanna leave work and go to Lexington right now!! I was hoping it would do the Fender "swirley" thing. I'm glad to hear that, and the head room is gonna be important.

I figured this amp would in fact be a beast, as I've got two other Bad Cat's and they amaze me with the versatility more and more every day.

As far as the drive channel, you mention the Rectifier's and 5150's. What about this amps drive is better? More defined? More harmonics?

9. hw2nw

hw2nw Member

The drive channel is menacing 6L6 crunch. Definitely more defined, open sounding, tons of harmonics. Smooth mids and a tight bass. It has a nice full bite to the tone, never fizzy or square-wave buzzy. You can shred on it (if you wanted) and know that your A/B will kick the crap out of almost any other 6L6 high-gainer.

10. McSoappy

McSoappy Member

Well then! I think I'll be posting pics of my new Bad Cat later this weekend! I have always loved Class A, but I definitely think Bad Cat's version of a Class AB amp will be incredible. I'm really GAS'n right now!:worried

I'll have to try the Trem Cat too, just to give that amp some chance.

11. TimH

TimH Member

Two completely different amps IMHO. The Trem Cat is not anything remotely close to high gain.

12. McSoappy

McSoappy Member

BTW....I just checked out your MySpace music page....you guys sound great! Mixed really well! Great singer, and guitar tone of course!:hiP

13. McSoappy

McSoappy Member

I'm aware of that. I just was thinking about getting another EL84 amp as well.

14. hw2nw

hw2nw Member

Thanks!

Guitar L- Bad Cat Hot Cat 30- Gibson Les Paul Std
    Guitar R- Bad Cat Lynx 50- Fender American Tele

mixed by Paul Miner (www.paulminer.com)

Bad Cat rockin!! :crazy

15. McSoappy

McSoappy Member

Bad Cat Lynx?! What's that?

16. hw2nw

hw2nw Member

50-watt artist amp. It's like a hot-rodded Hot Cat (EL-34 duet) with no FX loop or reverb, mid knob with 5-way frequency selector, a ton more gain, and a half power switch. Bad Cat's probably made under 10 of these, our lead guitarist has #3 (the dude from the Goo Goo Dolls has #1 and #2 I believe). I think it will see regular production after next NAMM, though I'm not sure. Totally awesome amp.

Here's our wall of Bad Cat death during tracking...from top to bottom- CubII, Hot Cat 30R, Lynx 50.

[​IMG]

But anyways...you can't go wrong with 50w Bad Cats. They slice the mix like a knife!

17. McSoappy

McSoappy Member

That's sick man! I'm almost ashamed as I considered myself very versed on their stuff. But the lack of website updates is killing everyone. I've been talking to James about a Bad Cat forum though!

The Lynx kinda sounds like a Custom Shop 50 Watt version of a Hot Cat 30R.

18. hw2nw

hw2nw Member

Yeah, it's very close to a custom shop Hot Cat 50, except with those features explained above. They just make it more versatile and high-powered!

19. McSoappy

McSoappy Member

You must have a ton of money in amps, as I saw three Bad Cat's in the pic above and then a Shiva in one of the pics on MySpace..........gotta love the tone brotha!

20. hw2nw

hw2nw Member

I own the Hot Cat, our lead guitarist owns the Lynx and the Cub. Artist prices through Bad Cat are very fair, definitely out-priced many boutiques. Sold the Shiva after playing the Hot Cat...it was like somebody took a blanket off the amp! But yeah, we're amp fiends. Gotta love em! :AOK