Bad Cat Classic Cat Owners

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Bunny101412, Feb 26, 2008.

1. Bunny101412

Bunny101412 Member

Is the 20 watt Bad Cat Classic Cat loud enough for club gigs?

2. 2tones

2tones Member

Not according to the guy I bought mine from... but swapping out the stock 12AY7 with a 12AX7 resulted in a significant increase in output.

With a 12AX7 in V1, it'll get every bit as loud as a Deluxe Reverb. With a 12AY7, it won't even come close.

3. Boogie92801

Boogie92801 Member

I found it to be a bit weak in volume and a bit dark even with the 12AX7. I certainly was not anywhere near as loud as the Matchless Lightning. I also thought that it was a bit to clean, which is good, but still dark and not as "shinny" as a deluxe reverb or a lightning.

I even prefer a Vicky 2012 thought it deos not "hold together" nearly as well as the bad cat. I will say this, the build quality of the bad cat was stellar.

4. Tallhorses

Tallhorses Member

I've owned a couple and never found that to be the case? Just more break up but not that significant of vol increase. That said...I was able to gig with the Classic Cat with a LOUD drummer and another guitar player. Just don't expect a lot of clean headroom. Great amp...killer 6V6 tone.

Re: above vs. Victoria 20112... I thought the Classic Cat was a hell of a lot louder than the vicky and held together better at high volumes. I love my Victoria but could never gig it. It's more of a practice/recording amp.

5. butcht2000

butcht2000 Member

Try an Eivdence Audio "The Siren II" speaker cable. After adding it the tone control was back to life. The darkness is gone.

6. Vaachek

Vaachek Member

Kinda depends on the size of the club, I think. I have a Hot Cat 15 that works nicely most places, but is always mic'd, so I'm the only one that really needs to hear it. I put it on a stand to my left, and have no problems.

7. Tallhorses

Tallhorses Member

For sure...the classic cat is a small club kind of amp.

8. timg100

timg100 Member

Agree 2 - I actually bought the Classic Cat thinking that it would be suitable in my studio but it is still too loud even when slightly dimmed with a Hotplate. I have never experienced any darkness, just great tone. You can use your guitars volume knob to clean-up the signal very nicely at high volume/gain levels.
    ---Tim

9. poolside

poolside Member

loud enough IMO for small to medium venues < 300 people. Easily competes with a heavy handed drummer. This particular Bad Cat is a stunning tribute to simple amp design, the real deal.