Bad Cat Classic Cat

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Imper, Jul 2, 2008.

1. Imper

Imper Member

I played Gibson Les Paul reissue 1956 through Bad Cat Classic Cat 1x12" combo in a local store and I fell in love.

Any comments about this amp? It has only a volume and tone controls...

2. shredtrash

shredtrash Supporting Member

I just got a Classic Cat head that I'm playing through a Bruno 2x12 w/Tone Tubbies. That amp is really growing on me fast. The tone control is really effective. It has a surprising amount of range. Also, all of the pedals that I've played through it sound really good (Keeley TS9dx flexi mod, java boost, BB+, Expandora). It can hang really well volume-wise too. My drummer hits pretty hard and I had plenty of volume and headroom. This is the one amp that I have that I can see doing any of my gigs with (50's rock n' roll, funk, classic rock). I'll just match up some pedals and I'm off and running. I currently run 12ax7's in both preamp slots so it breaks up faster but it still has a good amount of headroom. Hope this helps. BTW, I play a Les Paul as well.

3. jpfeiff

jpfeiff Member

Own one, love it. Gets a great clean sound, takes pedals well, love the simplicity of two knobs, and looks cool as hell onstage with the cat eyes lit up! Just wish it weighed about 15-20 lbs less (weak back!)

4. Imper

Imper Member

Ok, thanks! How about the speaker? It's a special design Celestion V30; what is the difference between stock V30s and this one? I didn't know that they're making heads too.. Some say that the combo sounds a bit of boxy... I think every open back 1x12" combo sounds boxy when compared to bigger ones.

Do you use any delays or reverb units in front of that amp? How they work when the amp is cranked and saturated?

And how about the clean boost? Let's say, if the vol is at 12:00 and I hit the MXR Dynacomp (I use it mainly for clean boost for clean solo's) does the volume increase or does the clean headroom end and the sound gets more distorted and the volume stays about same level...?

Thanks again, but more answers please!:) think I have a GAS...

5. shredtrash

shredtrash Supporting Member

They only made 10 heads and I got one (lucky me!). The V30 will be very punchy but it might shave off a bit of the high end a bit. I personally don't use delays or reverb units so I couldn't tell you how they work when saturated. However, I will say again though that this amp has a lot of headroom for a 20 watter. I was surprised by that.

6. jpfeiff

jpfeiff Member

I sometimes use a Digiverb pedal in front of it, though I rarely have the amp cranked to saturation, so I can't really report on that aspect. I actually was hoping that I could use this amp for getting natural tube distortion (which it, of course, CAN do) but it is so freakin loud for a 20 watter that I have almost no situations where I can get into saturated range. I play mostly small bars (100-200 people max-usually fewer) and private parties. So, I find myself relying on pedals for dirt rather than the 6V6's. My experience with my Keeley Katana clean boost is that at 12 o'clock, I'm still clean (and louder) when boosted, but honestly, for most of my gigs, I'm running the volume is closer to 10 or 11 o'clock, sometimes even lower...