Bad Cat Cub 15R on the way - pedal suggestions?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by AerialBoundries, Dec 16, 2005.

1. AerialBoundries

AerialBoundries Member

I play a strat, and I'm looking for suggestions on OD and Distortion pedals that work well with these EL84 amps. I'm looking to be able to cover a wide spectrum - from a slightly boosted clean Jimi-esque tone, to a thick creamy lead tone to go with my Mojovibe for Trower inspired stuff. I'd also like to be able to cop a lead tone similar to Trey Anastasio - I know he uses modded Fender Deluxes with dual Analogman TS-9 Silvers. I have absolutely no experience with Bad Cat amps, and have never spent any time with an EL84 amp - I come from a vintage Fender background. I think I'm in for a big suprise with this amp :AOK Any insight you guys can offer is greatly appreciated. Some considerations:

RC/AC Booster
    Analogman TS-9 Silver
    Barber DDSS
    Fulltone Fulldrive 2

2. SLG

SLG Member

Welcome to the Bad Cat Cub Club! :) I have a pair of Cubs. IMO the Cub is the best amp Bad Cat produces.

I'm not a big pedal user. The Cub gets some great sounding overdrive at lower levels so I prefer the amp's natural overdrive to using a pedal. When I do use a pedal I use a Barber Direct Drive. I have tried the Cub with Paul Cochrane's Timmy pedal and loved it. The transparency of the Timmy is a good complement to the Cub. I'm currently waiting on the arrival of a Timmy.

The Bad Cat Cub requires a good, robust set of tubes. My personal recommendation is that you spring the dough for a great set of tubes, particularly the EL84's. I run both my amps with NOS tubes. They sound best and last the longest in the amp. I use a GE 3-mica 5751 in the V1 preamp position to provide a bit more clean headroom. I use a Mullard 12AT7 as the reverb driver. The remaining 12AX7's are Amperex. The Cub has more than enough preamp overdrive on tap. If the overdrive is too much for you, try substituting a good NOS 5751, 12AY7 or 12AV7 in the V1 position. For the EL84's I highly recommend the NOS Polam/Telam. These are the best buy in NOS EL84's at the moment. They are built like tanks, and sound wonderful. You will want a good robust set of EL84's in the amp since the Bad Cat runs them quite hot.

If necessity dictates a less expensive tube route, I would recommend either a set of Sovtek EL84M or JJ EL84. Stay away from the standard Sovtek EL84 or EI EL84. The Cub will eat them for lunch. I've had good results with both the Groove Tube 12AX7M and JJ ECC83S tubes in the Cub. My favorite new manufactured 12AX7 tube is the NEW Tung-Sol. It's a great sounding tube, but I have not had a chance to try it in the Cub.

The Bad Cat Cub is very sensitive to speaker type and configuration. I own both a 2x10 with stock Bad Cat speakers (Celestion) and a 1x12 with a Celestion Greenback. Totally different sounding amps. I'm still experimenting with speaker combinations, but the 1x12 Greenback is my favorite at the moment. Occasionally, I run my Cubs through a Genz Benz vertical 2x12 loaded with a Weber Blue Dog and a Silver Bell. This combination sounds the best, but I'm too old and lazy to lug around a combo amp AND a 2x12.

3. wsaraceni

wsaraceni Member

i used an ac booster with the cub II (non reverb) model head i had. i really liked it. wish i never sold it. it wont get into really high gain but i did it again the xotic effects stuff would be the way to go.

4. beachwail

beachwail Member

For the Trey tones, you should get a compressor. It's pretty much essential for
    the type of sustain and bloom that he gets. He uses a Ross, so a
    Keeley would be very close. I use a Barber Tone Press which is pretty
    versatile and transparent. He also uses subtle delay 'trails' pretty often
    to make his legato style a little more liquidy.

5. Jimmydeez

Jimmydeez Member

I loved my Hot Cake with my Black Cat. The Hot Cake was built to go into EL84 amps.

6. AerialBoundries

AerialBoundries Member

Good suggestions! I'm beyond excited to receive the Cub. I've heard nothing but rave reviews, and they really seem inline with my needs. I definitely dont plan to skimp on the tubes - I have some Amperex Bugle Boys, and I'm hunting down some good EL84s now. I've heard great things about the Telams, so I think I'll try those first.

OD pedals seem pretty affordable for the most part, so I guess I have to grab a few to try. I've owned some nice pieces in the past, but again I'm in a different territory than ever before with the Class A thing.

I've been strictly acoustic for the past 4 years - I forgot how much fun this gear whoring is :D

7. JES1680

JES1680 Silver Supporting Member

I've got a Cub 2x10, here's what I use.
    I don't get the preamp up higher than 12 or 1 O'clock or it tends to get farty at high volumes. This allows for a nice clean. I use an HBE powerscreamer for crunch and add a clean boost FDII, SHO, or Keeley compressor for solos. The Cub is a great amp.

8. Jon C

Jon C Silver Supporting Member

I run an original Cub 15R 2-10 (NOT the Cub II, the original IMO has it all over the Cub II). -- it loved the combo I used at our last gig of a Tim along with a Dual Drive, w/ the Tim on most of the time (not full boost), w/ the DD kicked in for some extra grit & grind. Fantastic tone, the Cub is a great, great amp IMO, congrats.

9. gtrchris

gtrchris Member

Biggest mistake I made- selling my Cub15r :Spank
    Great amp! must get another one

10. wsaraceni

wsaraceni Member

how would you compare the cub to the cub II. i had a cub II head that was amazing. thinking of another one all the time.

11. AerialBoundries

AerialBoundries Member

She's leaving Georgia today and making the trip up the coast to Nova Scotia. I should have it by the end of the week! I think I'll try an RC booster first - I've really enjoyed what those do to most amps. Then I'll look into something with more grit later.

Thanks for the info, guys! I'll be sure to post more when I get it home and warmed up :YinYang

12. Jon C

Jon C Silver Supporting Member

To my ears the Cub II seems to be going at the gainier end of the market, it does have a little more flexibility but the tone to me was not as pleasing... as my super-picky ace amp tech friend said after first hearing my Cub 15R: "... what's not to like, it sounds like a great AC15 [...close to an AC30]...." And almost like Mikey, the kid in the cereal commercial, he's a good one to try something on because "he hates everything...." (my friend doesn't quite but is VERY hard to please). On the original what struck me as cleaner tone also seemed to highlight the tight bass, it may also be there on the Cub II but masked by the gnarlier tones (?)?

I generally run mine with the master full up, volume at around 9:00-12:00 depending on size of venue, if we really have to keep it down, I can run the master around 3:00-4:00 and Volume around 9:00), but I want that headroom and sparkly tone at which the Cub excels.

I could be happy with either but have never felt any urge to dump my Cub for a Cub II.

Cheers,
    Jon

13. YZDanno

YZDanno Member

I run the following with my CubIIR 1x12:

-RC Booster
    -BB Preamp
    -EMMA Reezafratzitz
    -DNA GainFxxker

I can cover just about any tone I could ever want with this setup. I'm also a single-coil player (G&L Strats and Teles).

14. ToneRanger

ToneRanger Member

Hello there!

I have a Bad Cat Cub II 1x12 and I love it! I ordered the 2x10 version though but they screwed up the factory I guess, have been waiting half a year now for the 2x10 version just to compare them. The 1x12 however is fantastic, the best amp I've ever heard. Period.

I have just recently started liking the idea of using pedals.. The overdrive of the Cat is wonderful, but I dont get to play it at such volumes that often that I really can get the power amp distortion going on at it greatest (I'm not a fan of the master volume although it works pretty well).

Pedals that I currently use with the Cub II are:
    - Hot Cake (melts really well with the amp, you really don't know where the amp stops and the cake begins if you know what I mean, an excellent choice where you can't go wrong)
    - Lovepedal COT 50 (love it, love it!! what a sound! this changes the nature of the sound a bit more than the cake, well it's supposed to sound like a plexi so that's quite obvious. anyway, this is my favourite at the moment, it just sound wondeful and stacks up really well with the cake, they are woody as hell together. the cot is also great cause it only has one know and every setting is great from the od of the lowest setting to the Hendrix type fuzz on the full setting)
    - Catalinbread Supercharged Overdrive (great overdrive, really thick and cutting distortion, superb sustain, something I step on when I wanna go for really high gain sounds)

Pedals I'd like to check out:
    - Lovepedal Eternity (i'd like to have a more focused and tight od sound as well, which this pedal seems to offer in contrast to the openess of the COT and Cake which I really love, but to add a bit more versatility)
    - Catalinbread Super Chili Picoso (just a clean boost, but a wonderful one if the guys raving about this are speaking the truth)
    - EMMA whatdoyoucallit? (great reviews, seems to be a really cool pedal)

YZDanno can you tell me a bit more about the EMMA with the Cat?

15. TimH

TimH Supporting Member

+1. When I had a cubIIr that i stupidly sold I used the RC and AC boosters and it was magic!

16. SLG

SLG Member

Naw, I enjoy it every time I plug it in. :)

17. tedwoods

tedwoods Member

I can't say I've been thrilled with the Hot Cat I used to own...but a friend of mine got a CubR recently and invited me over to "check it out".
    Wow!What a great amp!I enjoyed every note!I think there's plenty of drive available with humbuckers but we tried a variety of pedals as well(Blackstone,Homebrew,Fulltone) and as usual(a leopard doen't change its spots...) the Landgraff stood out.
    Too bad I didn't have the Stage Hog around.I bet that would fit as a glove,especially in boost mode.

Ted

18. AerialBoundries

AerialBoundries Member

Thanks for all the helpful replies!

I've had the Cub for about a week now, and it's love for sure :) What a tone machine! It has the BC modified Celestions, and right now I'm running the Sovtek EL84Ms. I've been able to get some great tones just going straight into the amp with my Chubtone 67 loaded strat.

In the next month or so, I plan to start experimenting with pedals. I want to start with a mild OD, and I'm thinking about a fuzz as well. The Mojovibe sounds fantastic with the Cub's clean and gritty tones, and really interested to hear how it will mix with different pedals. The great thing about the online marketplace and pedals in general is they are easy to sell or trade if they dont work out for you.

I'll try to get a pic of the guitar and amp up tonight - they make a nice combo :BluesBros Thank you Bad Cat for making a kickass amp that is helping me get some of the sounds out of my head and into the air!

19. AerialBoundries

AerialBoundries Member

A few quick shots of the new :cool:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

:Devil

[​IMG]

20. AerialBoundries

AerialBoundries Member

Well, based on the glowing reviews of the COT50 by Toneranger and just about everyone who has ever tried one, I bought one on ebay last night! Can't wait to see what its capable of - I'll try to get some clips up for those who are interested. I've also read how great the COT50 is with vibe pedals too, so I'm hoping it will give my Mojovibe that extra kick I'm looking for!