Bad cat cub ii 15 or cub iii 15

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Guyx6x, Apr 27, 2015.

1. Guyx6x

Guyx6x Member

Bad cat cub ii or iii
    Should I buy bad cat cub iii 15 or save some money and buy a used cub ii ? What's the tonal difference ? I'm not playing it in my bedroom so k master shouldn't matter. I'm using it for small venues gigs.i mainly play a bad cat Lynx which is the best amp I've ever owed and I've owned a lot . Just looking to purchase a grab n go combo for small venues gigs with out micing. Any help would be great. Thanks

2. jbt7764

jbt7764 Member

IMHO the Cub III has a bit more gain than the CubII especially with the booster engaged.
    JT

3. hardys

hardys Member

I haven't played a Cub II, but recently compared a Black Cat 15 to my Cub II. Although the Black Cat's 12AX7 channel is said to be the same channel as the Cub's channel, me & the Black Cat owner found the Cub to be more harmonically rich & complex. There was also a little more apparent head room with the Cub. While many people (including Bad Cat employees) claim they sound the same, there are obvious differencse in favor of the Cub.

I only say this to point out that the Cub III's additional circuitry may affect the purity of tone that's so loved in the Cub II. I would want to hear both amps & not completely rely on other's opinions before making a purchase.

4. C-4

C-4 Member

Here for now, Europe when I die. Am I dead yet?
    I would go with the latest iteration of the amp, rather then buy an older model.
    The Cub III's K-Master may come in handy for you when you want some more attitude from the amp. Plus, with the boost function and the EF86 option, that amp will really have some variation in tones.

They just added the K-Master circuit to the Black Cat line as well.

5. hacinador

hacinador Member

Different tubes? They make a huge difference.

6. SirGilmour

SirGilmour Supporting Member

Ive owned both.(still have the III) Both Are reallly good. The main difference is the III has more flexability mostly due to the choice of 2 different front ends (EF86 and AX7). You cant go wrong with either. Like John said above the III has more gain on tap.

I never played the II live but the III sounds fantastic in a band mix!

7. hardys

hardys Member

Wow...do tubes really make a difference? Who new? Thanks for that valuble insight.

8. DesertDirtDog

DesertDirtDog Member

:aokI have a Custom Cub II 112T.

Great tone, but I don't feel this amp has a lot of headroom. More than light overdrive can make it 'fizzy'.

The one time I've played it out in a smaller room, by the time it was loud enough (about '3'- this is a very loud 15 watts), it wasn't 'clean' like my DRRI was. By no means ragged or crunchy, but not pristine Fender-y clean. A very, very warm clean. Warmer than my Clubman was. That said, I love it. :aok

Also, not exactly what I'd refer to as "grab and go"- never weighed it, but it feels like around 60 lbs. Then again, I'm 60 years old. :(

9. hacinador

hacinador Member

I've had many pairs or trios of absolutely identical amps, but there were always some differences between them because of different tubes and different wear of the tubes. Another thing is a break-up time of speakers.

Bad Cats are a real pain to set up properly. You make a VERY tiny move with Cut, Volume or Reverb control and there is a BIG difference in harmonics, gain structure etc. I have to mark my favourite settings on my Cub and despite of it I have to do some corrections to get the sound I want.

And other thing that can really blur a comparison is a placement of the amps.

It's hasty to make a connclusion after some short testing of two amps. Tubes in your friend's amp could be old or some stupid brand (80% of current production) and now all people around the world can think that the Black Cat has less harmonics and is a worse amp compared to your Cub.

10. hardys

hardys Member

You previously shared your insight by stating the obvious, that tubes make a difference in sound. Now, without having the slightest idea of our amplifier comparison methods, you continue your inane pontification and insinuate that we were using “old or some stupid brand” of tubes and were “hasty to make a conclusion after some short testing of two amps.” Unfortunately, you know not of what you speak.

You also stated that “now all people around the world can think that the Black Cat has less harmonics and is a worse amp compared to your Cub.” Conversely “now all people around the world can” share in your omnipotent insight and rapier wit.

Since you were kind enough to share your thoughts with me, allow me to share one with you… “Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.”

11. jbt7764

jbt7764 Member

Hacinador and Hardys,
    Please see below,

What do Angels and Indians have in common?
    Some of you may know, I am a devoted fan of the Major League Baseball team currently known as the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim. Some years ago when they were still the California Angels, my preference, I was sitting along the third base line, a hot dog in one hand and a beer in another, just quietly enjoying the game.
    I had made the decision that night to go to the game by myself. Back then it was completely different then it is now. This was pre World Series and rally monkeys. The Angels weren’t exactly a hot ticket at the time. One could walk up to the ticket window, buy just about any ticket and sit in a seat that today would cost a small car payment.
    So, there I was on a Wednesday night alone with another twelve thousand or so people in a stadium with a capacity for forty-thousand. The game was between the Angels and the Cleveland Indians. Sometime around the second inning, I noticed a loud fan sitting by himself a few rows over, cheering loudly at all the wrong times. To make matters worse he was booing when the universe aligned properly and the Angels scored. Imagine the ignorance!
    As the game progressed gradually he starting to irritate me. I found myself beginning to hate the sound of his voice. “Hey batta batta suuuuuuuwing!” What the hell? Look at this idiot in his faded Cleveland sweatshirt and baseball cap. Yelling out loud to no one. Just as I was about to blurt out in my own faded Angels sweatshirt and baseball hat, “C’mon Finley (Angels pitcher) get this guy.”
    A rare moment of self reflection hit me like a chili dog burp. Whoa, here I was all by myself on a Wednesday night with a beer and dog at a ballgame. The only difference between him and I, were the hats and sweatshirts we were wearing. All things being equal, not a huge difference considering that we were both by ourselves at a midweek baseball game.
    My next trip to the concession stand I thought, “I’m going to grab a beer for this jackass while I’m up.” So, I walked back to the stands towards the guy, handed him a beer, and introduced myself. He thanked me, commented on my nice hat. We sat together for the next two hours and enjoyed a great game with a fellow baseball junkie. We talked stats, personnel moves, and intricacies of the game in front of us.
    Look, whatever you are passionate about, in my case guitar amplifiers and baseball, we are all just junkies. So, the next time you are arguing about who makes the best amp (Bad Cat), remember that both of you care enough about music gear to have a strong opinion. Don’t miss a chance to make a new friend.
    I wish I could say that my fellow baseball fan and I kept in contact, we didn’t. But, we sure enjoyed each other’s conversation for a few hours.
    “Hey, batta batta.”
    -John
    - See more at: http://www.badcatamps.com/blog/what-do-angels-and-indians-have-in-common/#sthash.bTlzG4D9.dpuf

H. Mac likes this.
  12. DesertDirtDog

DesertDirtDog Member

Great post- especially "....remember that both of you care enough about music gear to have a strong opinion."

So much of our opinion comes from our individual perspective and subjective perception, not some form of objective and verifiable fact.

In my relatively modest experience with amplifiers (although anyone who knows me can attest that I am an 'amp freak'- a guitar is just the tool I use to play my amps :cool: ), I have found that- whether researching a possible new acquisition or a mod- when it comes to this or any other internet forum, my best hopes lay with a consensus of opinion, which is not absolutely infallible.

Some folks do like to argue, though. ;)

13. Guyx6x

Guyx6x Member

Hey guys. Thanks for the help. I went with the cubIII looking forward to hearing it ! John you make some really nice amps but GO RED SOXS!