Bad Cat Cubb II

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Bradders, Sep 13, 2005.

1. Bradders

Bradders Member

erm.......................

WOW! is all I can say, really........:eek:

2. Bradders

Bradders Member

So - now the sheer amazement's worn off ...... :)

What a cracking little amp - pricey YES, but what a great piece of gear. Originally bought (traded) as a luggable 1 12 package for practise - this will undoubtedly get a lot of stage time. Makes a strat sound unvelievable. Great cleans, FANTASTIC growl and drive, tons of ring and presence. Has that fantastic 3d-ness of the M@tchless brothers all that spongey-feel too and plenty of both clean and nasty headroom. The "Focus/Spectrum" switch adds the 3d swirl and complexity and FOCUS makes it just a gorgeous cleaner amp by taking out the EQ.

The master vol can be switched in or our for added flexibility if you want/need that DLR thing.

Every guitar I have loves this Cub, 335, SG, Les Pauls, Tele ( relic 52 and Thinline) strats you name it.

Loud- - you bet
    Most other things you want - you bet too.

Try it - -you'll like it.
    Bradders

3. Rusty G.

Rusty G. Member

Is the master volume defeatable?

4. elambo

elambo Member

Yes.

5. Bradders

Bradders Member

yeah - a flick of a switch defeats the master vol control.

6. Rusty G.

Rusty G. Member

The reason I asked is because I've got a Bad Cat Hot Cat 15. My favorite channel right now is not the gain channel, which is great, but the clean channel cranked up to about 2:00 o'clock. It roars. The problems are that it isn't easy to tweak. . .The Brilliance knob acts like a tone control, but that's it! Also, although I really like the clean channel cranked up to about wide open, I would like to be able to get close to that tone, or maybe just sooner breakup, via a defeatable master volume. Maybe I should consider modding the amp. . .Maybe I should look into the Cub?

7. B Vance

B Vance Member

I too love the Cub II's. Like Bradders, every guitar I plugged in seemed to love it, especially the strats and the teles. I too like the spectrum/focus feature, however, I do perfer the spectrum. Think open back cab (spectrum) vs. closed back (focus). Although I have yet to try it in the studio myself, it seems like a great recording/studio amp. Usable at virtually all volume levels. Bad Cat has amazing customer service as well. The stuff is bomb-proof. Plus they look so cool!

I'm about 2 weeks away from getting my Black Cat.

8. Fireball XL5

Fireball XL5 Supporting Member

I'm seriously considering a Cub II as my next amp purchase but having never played through one before (and no dealer close by) I'm somewhat tentative. :(

Bradders (or anyone else that cares to comment)...

How would you compare the Cub II to some of the other EL 84 amps you have owned....like your Vox AC30 and Dr. Z Maz 18?
    I used to own a Maz 18 and still have a Vox so I'm quite familiar with those amps.

One big concern I have is "apparent" headroom and volume of the Cub II. I use the term "apparent" because while I understand that it is only a 15 watt amp, I 've played some low watt amps in the past that well...sound like small low watt amps without much punch and volume.

In contrast, I thought the Dr. Z Maz 18 Jr. was a good example of an amp that sounds and feels like a much stronger amp than it's rated wattage.

I know that David Grissom (one of my faves) plays a Cub II for a lot of the smaller gigs he does and I can't imagine him...with that big, open tone he goes for...using anything that would overcompress and lack punch :confused: :confused:

Finally, what's your opinion of the reverb in the Cub II?

9. scottosan

scottosan Supporting Member

The clean on your hotcan is 1 gain stage feeding the oposite side of the phase inverter as your gain channel. There isn't a whole lot you can do without adding stages.

10. B Vance

B Vance Member

Having A/B'd a Maz Jr and a Cub, for me the scales tip toward the Cub. The Cub's tone is much more multidimensional than the Maz Jr. The Cub has plenty of headroom as well. If you would be using it to play live, you would most likely have to use a mic though just as you would with the Maz. They are both great amps, but I just think the Cub does what it does better than the Maz.

Headroom with single coil pickups shouldn't be a problem. I don't have extensive experiences with hums for either.

11. wsaraceni

wsaraceni Member

all the bad cat stuff is great.

past owner of a cub II head. wish i still had it
    current owner of a hot cat 30r head and 2x12 cab. with me for good
    future owner of a wild cat and another cub II definately!!!

12. Bradders

Bradders Member

Hey Fireball,
    They're diffrerent beasts - the Maz and the AC-30 - -the Vox is HUGE in anyone's eyes ( and ears) so comparing the Cub and an AC-30 ( despite the el84 similarities) isn't something I'd do - -I have both and both have applications that are different.....the cub will roar like an AC30 at a fraction of the power - which is great for many applications. I also had a Maz Jnr 2 12 and like the cub more as it's got that much more "open 3D" thing going on -- from the Matchless legacy no doubt.

It has a lot of clean(er) headroom like the Maz - that's a more even comparrison as they're both lower watted amps - but both are ultimately powerful and more than enough for most gigs - -don't fear the 15W tag - -this cat screams loud enough ;). The Maz was never found lacking at any of my shows. Neither will the Cub.

Sorry - my cat doesn't have reverb so can't comment on that one.

It's a great amp that you will love - -all my guitars do - -for sure. This on'e s a keeper and makes me miss the Maz much much less. It's sound is much more complex than the straightforward sound of the Maz ( still a great amp though).

Hope that helps - if not let me know and I'll go deeper.
    cheers

13. Rusty G.

Rusty G. Member

Bradders. . .how does the Cub sound with humbucker equipped guitars? How much tone shapping can you get? I've got a Matchless DC30, and believe it's just a bigger, more powerful version of the same circuit of the Cub (at least the first channel is). Am I correct, or does the Cub give you something different?

Thanks,

14. Bradders

Bradders Member

Hey Rusty,
    I'm not totally familiar with the Matchless amps - having never owned one but played through a few often enought to know teh "sound" you know?

As for the Cub with buckers - it loves 'em - obviously you get that "growl" a bit sooner and may want to back off the input gain a tad and spend more time with the master volume but it depends on what you're after - the thing will get into a [retty decent "grind" if you wanna go that far. Crunch is amazing - sings long and loud too.

My LPs/SG/Thinline tele/335 etc all love th amp - the 335 particularly sounds amazing with it - ut the LPs are ready to rock in the "spectrum" end opf things and sound like a big fat LP when "focussed' too.

that help?
    cheers
    Bradz

15. Fireball XL5

Well it didn't take too much convincing to push me over the edge :eek: :eek:

I just pulled the trigger on this beauty :dude

[​IMG]

I emailed David Grissom asking about the amp and he replied that he "Absolutey Loves His Cub II !" I figure if it's good enough for David....;)

Boy...hanging out at this forum sure is dangerous!

16. Bradders

Bradders Member

Rusty - -I never got to the 2nd bit of your question - sorry!

I think the Cub will give you a llittle more than your SC-30 in that, in the cleaner ranges you will get a lot more power tube, break up, clip, comp etc at a more usable volume than with your 30 -- which is a crushingly loud amp - if memory serves me? The Cub would be also get a bit less focussed if you're driving teh fonr t end real hard, you know - and your SC-30 might sound better there?

Either way - both are pretty versatile.

17. Bradders

Bradders Member

Hey Fireball - welcome to the Terrordome... :dude

That's a purdy lil amp you got there.

Focus mode
    input gain at 1 o clock
    master at 11
    12 noon bass
    12 noon treble
    cut at 1pm
    master vol engaged
    strat of your choise

KABOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM.

Enjoy, amigo!

Let me know how you like it - still diggin mine til the cows come home.
    Bradders

18. Fireball XL5

Thanks Bradders!

It's really not as much of an impulse purchase as it appears. The Cub II is an amp I've been contemplating for quite awhile now...on the fence so to speak. Of course, all the positive comments in this post were just enough to push me over the edge! :D

I've been wanting a lower wattage Class A/EL84 amp as an alternative to my Vox AC30 which is just devestatingly loud when it's pushed to it's breakup level. IMO, the Cub II is just the ticket!

Should have it sometime early next week!