1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

Bad Cat Custom Shop Cub RT 30

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Tallhorses, Jun 20, 2006.

1. Tallhorses

Tallhorses Member

Just ordered a Bad Cat Custom Shop Cub 30 RT from Willies! I'm totally psyched! I've been a huge Cub fan for years and owned a couple...but now that I'm playing bigger rooms my Top Hat CR and Cub 15 r don't quite have the umph!!! It's still light (for a Bad Cat...65lbs) and fit's into my current road case! Schwing!!! Anybody have one or played one?

2. danieldroukas

danieldroukas Member

Did you get 112 or 210? I own the 210 and that's all I've ever heard. I've always wondered what the 112 would sound like.

3. Tallhorses

Tallhorses Member

It's the 1 x 12. I think it will sound a little beefier? I've owned the 2 x 10 ver of the Cub 15 and I just sold the 1 x 12 version. That was the main difference between the two...

4. Tallhorses

Tallhorses Member

Here is it is!!!!!!!!!

[​IMG]

5. danieldroukas

danieldroukas Member

6. wsaraceni

wsaraceni Supporting Member

nice amp. i had a cub II 15 watt head (no reverb) and it was one of the best sounding amps ive ever played through.

7. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

so is this like the 12AX7 channel on the Black Cat, but with tremolo?

8. wsaraceni

totally different than the black cat if you ask me. i like the cub a lot more.

9. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

howso?

10. wsaraceni

the black cat is more like the dc-30. i felt that the cub has a more open sound. it also had a swrily quality to it that is hard to describe and i havent heard it in other amps since. i think that the cub is a more complex sounding as well.

11. danieldroukas

danieldroukas Member

if you don't mind me asking, how much did that run you?

12. Tallhorses

Tallhorses Member

The difference is 2 more EL84's and bigger transformers.... The tremolo tube is a 12AX7 located in the chasis. Same layout as the cub...

It sounds just like the cub 15 with a bit more headroom and volume...

Guitar player review...
    http://www.guitarplayer.com/story.asp?sectioncode=6&storycode=11227

chasis pic from GP...

[​IMG]

13. Tallhorses

Tallhorses Member

Well I gigged with the amp for the first time last night. Couple of comments...

The extra power does add more headroom which was exactly what I was looking for. That said it'll breakup when pushed, especially with a Timmy or Klon. Last night the chain went like this...Timmy4Deja Vibe4Fulltone Supra Trem. The tube trem is pretty good. The Supra Trem is a bit more versatile so I will probably continue to use that. It's a bout 15lbs heavier than the cub so it's really in tremcat weight range. All in all I love the Cub tone and the size it sweet for clubs.

14. hw2nw

hw2nw Member

how does the Cub like the OCD? I'm on the fence about picking one up for my Hot Cat.

15. Tallhorses

Tallhorses Member

I think it would like the clean channel for light compressed OD. That's what I use it for on the cub. I basically keep the master out and use pedals into it clean. My pedal setup varies from night to night. Lately I'm using the Timmy more for a clean... slightly gritty boost. I'm not a big fan of the OCD's drive past 11 oclock (or Timmy's for that matter). I also find that the OCD is not a good pedal for HB's unless you're looking for a ton of gain. IMHO it sounds better with single coils. Which is about all I use it for lately.