Bad Cat Effects Loop ?

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by elijah, Mar 7, 2004.

1. elijah

elijah Guest

Does any one have any info on adding an effects loop to a Bad Cat amp, specifically the Hot Cat 30?

2. gbisn1960

gbisn1960 Member

dont know man.. but i plan on finding out if they can add one :)
    ive got some noise coming from mine and i need to send them the chassis.. so ill see how much and what it would be to put one in..
    Jon

3. tralfax19645

tralfax19645 Member

Hi,
    Are you wanting to run pedal effects throught this loop or line level? Adding an access loop wont change the sound when it is not in use, and you can use an impedence matching cable if you are going to run a modern mulieffects unit. If you dont use a matching cable you will loose some volume, because the impedence mismatch is too big between the FX unit(usually 600 ohms or less) and the impedence your driver tube wants to see(several thousand ohms)
    Just get you a whirlwind little IMP, ($10 from musicins friend)Go regular guitar cable from the effects send on your amp to the input on your effects unit. make up a cable that is 1/4 to female xlr and plug the imp in the xlr end, Then the regular 1/4 end goes to the effects output, imp into the amp return.
    This works so good you wont belive it, and way less noise than a tube or op amp loop, which will always color the sound, whether they are in use or not.
    Rob

4. gbisn1960

gbisn1960 Member

hey.. i got this as a return in my email:

"The mods available for your chassis are channel switching and the mid switch.
    There is no room for the tube buffered effects loop.

James"

so if you have an older hot cat.. screw it.. you can't get it.. but you can get the mid switch

:FM

Jon

5. GDS Racing

GDS Racing Member

If you are willing to drill another hole in the back of your chassis, you can wire in an insert loop with a stereo jack. Then you can use an external tube buffered effects loop such as a Dumblelator or the Flexloop 3D. This will then provide a fully tube buffered effects loop.

6. gbisn1960

gbisn1960 Member

that sounds like a plan.. i wanted to see originally if they could just turn the other speaker out into the stereo tip effects loop like on a dc30.. but i just dont think there is any room for the extra tube... or neither do they want to punch the hole..
    ill check out the flexloop thing..
    thanks
    Jon

7. Seditious

Seditious Member

I just want a line out, and a 16 ohm tap. Think Bad Cat can do that? Then I need to figure out where the rattle is coming from. I think it's a loose tube socket. It's annoying when I'm trying to record.

8. gbisn1960

gbisn1960 Member

they can put a line out on the amp.. i requested that when i bought mine but they forgot to do it!.. about the rattle.. is it a rattle or is it a buzz??? on my amp i know its the piping up inbetween the speaker baffle and the face of the amp... it just vibrates enough to buzz.. almost like a bee next to your ear.. you cant hear it though when you record with it.. so i dont know
    Jon

9. Seditious

Seditious Member

It sound's like glass rattle. Almost like two bottles rattling against each other in a car. I need to take a better look.

10. gbisn1960

gbisn1960 Member

yeah.. dont know what that could be.. good luck finding it though!
    Jon