Bad Cat Hot Cat 15 Amplifier - Help Please

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Jedi, Mar 3, 2012.

1. Jedi

Jedi Member

Hi Everyone:

I just picked up one of these used for a great deal. It is a 2003 Model with 1x12 Celestion speaker. I have not had a ton of time with it yet, but my initial impressions are pretty good. I was looking for complex drive at lower volume levels for regular gigging. It seems to take single coil and humbuckers pretty well.

What are your experiences with this model? Have you been pleased with the tone and reliability of the amp? My understanding is that it is Point-to Point wiring. The only issue is the Bad Cat Logo is not lighting up...one of the bulbs looks burned out....anyone know what value these are and where I can get replacement bulbs?

Thanks!

2. samarshll

samarshll Member

I think if you email James at Bad Cat he can help with the light bulb question. I thought the clean channel was the strength of amp. I never found a tone that I loved on the dirty channel. I did A/B them but the volume boost was too much to use it as the drive channel. Really well built and durable. I have a mini I now and love it. I played a Cub I this week and it reminded me of the Hot Cat clean channel. Great amps. I got quite a few compliments on my tone when I played out. Great with pedals. The other option would be to run your favorite OD pedal through the clean channel.

3. FFTT

FFTT Member

You have a lot of flexibility in that amp by what speakers and tubes you run.

To take it more towards Vox tones, run a Celestion Blue, or other favorite AlNiCo

For tight low end, crisp mids a Fane Medusa 100

To take it more towards a Princeton voice, A weber 12F150 or lower volume/efficiency
    Weber 12A125A

Fortunately, you have very few tubes in there compared to my Hot Cat 100R,
    so upgrading to NOS glass will not have you in too deep.

4. jbt7764

jbt7764 Member

5. Jedi

Jedi Member

Wow...thanks for the responses and John @ Bad Cat thank you for getting back to me already!

6. strat222

strat222 Silver Supporting Member

I'll tell you what, Bad Cat has great customer service. I've experienced that also in the last few weeks!!

7. Jedi

Jedi Member

John at BadCat has been a huge help....even taking time out over the weekend to respond....great customer service. Thanks!

8. Tonesmiths

Tonesmiths Member

John is the reason BadCat now has great customer service.