Bad Cat Hot Cat

keith_t4e

I played through one of the 1x12 for just a few moments with a PRS Singlecut. It sounded great. They do cost around 2800 for combo and 2400 for the 30 watt head. It would seem you could find a lot more amp for 2400. The Hot Cat has a clean input and a dirty input. Who has or sells these amps? Tell me about them. Will they cover Heavy Music. I know they will do classic rock and anything else. feedback please.

Eugene

Silver Supporting Member
Why would you think you could get "a lot more" amp for $2,400? I own a Hot Cat 30 head and 2x12 cab. Like all Bad Cat amps, they do their respective things VERY well and the quality (at least in my experience) has been superb. If you take a look at the interior of a Bad Cat/Matchless/Star, it really IS a work of art.

To answer your other question, a Hot Cat can definitely cover heavy music....listen to Porcupine Tree. I feel the Hot Cat (without reverb) is a very versatile beast that covers all the rock and roll bases. As a plus, the clean side of the amp has that Matchless sparkle....a nice bonus for a screamer.

Good luck.

Eugene

mach5

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I never understood why they just didn't make it a channel switcher instead of having to plug into both inputs. I also heard they go through tubes quickly.

The Captain

I am about to replace the tubes in my Hot CAt for the first timte in a year. As a drop in with no tech required, that ain't bad. It also had a bit of playing in the store before I bought it.
It covers a lot of ground, and is very responsive to guitar type and volume/tone knob adjustment. You can do heavy for sure, but it will not give you that broken glass crunch that a Dual Rectifier etc will, but it has lots of gain and OD.
As for channel switching, I think the purists influence the designs, and "channel switching" equates to baby killing in too many people's eyes.

albuht813

Silver Supporting Member
If you've played the amp, you should have seen that there's a ton a gain on tap. It will cover any shade of gain to metal music. It also takes pedals well and has the option to blend the clean and dirty channel through the footswitch.

Definitely buy used. And just your luck....I've got one for sale. Shameless plug: https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/348560

vchizzle

They've been making this amp with a channel switcher for quite awhile. The hotcat 30R definitely has a footswitch. I haven't seen a "standard" Hot cat 30 that was new in a store for quite some time. I'm sure they're still made, you just see the 30R more.

They can do pretty heavy. There's some clips in here. In these clips, I record to get the sound you hear in the room. There's nothing fancy, just pure guitar tones to show some of the tones the amps are capable of.
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=505820

www.myspace.com/lividone - everything on this page was recorded with a hotcat 30 or 100 or both.

keith_t4e

If I get the 30 watt head, what 212 should I get & with what celestions? I'm thinking 25 watt greenbacks. Isn't the head the way to go? What I meant by a lot of amp for 2400 is just simply some of the other amps I'm interested in ----CAE OD100, ENGL Invader---in the same price range have more options. This amp does sound good though for sure.

Eugene

Silver Supporting Member
If I get the 30 watt head, what 212 should I get & with what celestions? I'm thinking 25 watt greenbacks. Isn't the head the way to go? What I meant by a lot of amp for 2400 is just simply some of the other amps I'm interested in ----CAE OD100, ENGL Invader---in the same price range have more options. This amp does sound good though for sure.

IMHO, the Bad Cat 2x12 cab is the way to go (I believe there are modified v30s in it). The Bad Cat's are somewhat selective about cabs, and I haven't found a 2x12 cab that sounds as good as the Bad Cat.

As an aside, I really prefer the non-reverb model of the 30. I got mine in 2003 and just prefer the simpler circuit. With this kind of amp, you really don't miss the reverb and an ABY switcher will handle jumping (and blending) the channels.

Don't worry about amps with more options....very seldom (if ever) will you find an amp that's all things to all people. The Hot Cat has a nice (albeit simple) clean channel and can go from moderate to pretty drastic OD. If you like this combination, then its the amp for you. Its kind of like getting a tweed Deluxe....not alot of knobs, but it does its thing VERY well!

Good luck.

Eugene

vchizzle

Cabs...really depends on what style you're going to play most of the time. The heavy stuff, if that's your main style, you might want a closed back. I haven't played alot of 2x12. The Orange(if you can get past the color) is thick sounding cab for a 2x12. The THD is a ported back style cab that gives the best of both worlds(open and closed back) - it sound very big and disperses sound really good in a room.

I can't speak on the Bad Cat 2x12, haven't played it. I'm sure its a great cab. I'd like to hear a Stone Age custom cab too.

ScottR

if you cant swing the Bad cat cab try a Mesa Theile cab with it. I have both the Bad Cat 2x12 and the Mesa Theile with the EVM 12L and I actually like the theile better

The Captain

I agree wiht Eugene, the BAd CAt cab ios the ideal. Mine sounds damn fine through a recto 212 closed as well, which had well broken in V30's, so is similar to the BAd Cat cab, just closed.

LocustXReign

bad cat cabs are great, I highly suggest getting one of them to match your head. I like the way my lynx 50 sounds best through its mated cab.

keith_t4e

Port City sounds nice. I might just look into Carolina Cabs at Indoor Storm with those mojo speakers in them. I'm getting stoked about this thing. I've been trying to decide for a while. I've looked at CAE OD100, Fuchs Frost, Engl Invader. The Bogner Shiva just seemed a tad too compressed for me. I don't like the way Top Hat changed the cosmetics of the Emplexador. The Fuchs Overdrive Supreme is wonderfull but maybe not up my alley as far as the heavy stuff goes. I've got originals that sound like everything from Rush to Sabath. I'm feelin the Bad Cat. They look cool as s....t too! Thanks for all the input. One last ? I really prefer the head to the open back 1x12 combo. Anyone want to dissagree or have another preference please tell me why? thanks again.

vchizzle

Port City sounds nice. I might just look into Carolina Cabs at Indoor Storm with those mojo speakers in them. I'm getting stoked about this thing. I've been trying to decide for a while. I've looked at CAE OD100, Fuchs Frost, Engl Invader. The Bogner Shiva just seemed a tad too compressed for me. I don't like the way Top Hat changed the cosmetics of the Emplexador. The Fuchs Overdrive Supreme is wonderfull but maybe not up my alley as far as the heavy stuff goes. I've got originals that sound like everything from Rush to Sabath. I'm feelin the Bad Cat. They look cool as s....t too! Thanks for all the input. One last ? I really prefer the head to the open back 1x12 combo. Anyone want to dissagree or have another preference please tell me why? thanks again.
I just can't see any cons to the head other than you need to carry 2 pieces instead of one. I haven't picked up a 1x12 combo, but BadCat and similar combos tend to be heavy anyhow. Lots of guys prefer the head/cab cause it tends to be a bit easier on the back. With a head you just have more options for shaping your tone in being able to get different cabs. + for the heavier tones you're after, you can get a closed back cab for that and later maybe an open back for the more open sound(or vice versa). I'd suggest closed or ported to start so you can get the bigger/tighter bass response for the heavy stuff. With the combo you're a bit stuck unless you want to move around the heavy combo AND a closed back or different style cab. The head is definitely the right choice in your situation IMO.

edit:I see the Carolina looks like a THD copy, I think that'll be a great choice. nice price too...might consider one of those myself!

Eugene

Silver Supporting Member
I started with the 1x12 combo and while nice, I decided to trade it in and get a head/cab. Interestingly, I ordered a 1x12 cab for the head and Bad Cat screwed up and sent a 2x12 cab. It can move quite a bit of air and is a little bigger than what I wanted, but it sounds great. Why don't you look and the head and a Bad Cat 1x12 cab? That's a nice, reasonably light package...

Eugene

hw2nw

The Hot Cat is a fantastic amp if you dig it's biting aggressive tone! I loved/toured mine for 2 years and only sold it because I was headed in a different tonal direction.

keith_t4e

I"d have to say it is Bad Cat, CAE OD100, Fuchs Frost and the Engl Invader. All are in the running but if I had to buy it today, It would be the Hot Cat. You ever thought about an amp and really thought it was going to challange you to grow musically. I thought the Fuchs Overdrive Supreme would do the same. The Hot Cat is beter for the gainfull heavy stuff I need to do.

FFTT

These amps know how to sing too with lots of chime when you dial it in that way.

It can be warm and melow or roar and trying different speaker configurations delivers all kinds of variables in tone.

keith_t4e

Still the front runner though the Ktre is still eating away at me. If Top Hat still made the Emplex the way they used to I'd be on that. The Hot Cat 30 watter. How is the 30 watt hot cat different than the 100 besides headroom???

Trending Topics

Top Bottom