Bad Cat & Matchelss sound out

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Bradders, Feb 7, 2006.

1. Bradders

Bradders Member

So - who's feeling brave, eh? :rolleyes:

Anyone want to take a punt at filling in the blanks here, which would help me immeasurebly.........

Black Cat sounds like...................Matchless <.............>
    Wild Catsounds like .......... ........Matchless <.............>
    Tone Cat sounds like .......... ........Matchless <.............>
    Hot Cat sounds like .......... ........Matchless <.............>

obviously, "sounds like" is purely subjective and not implying anything else.

thanks

2. wsaraceni

wsaraceni Member

i'll bite.

the black cat sounds most like the c-30 series. it is quite different though. do a search, you will find a ton of posts on the topic. black cat is tighter bottom end and more refined. c-30 sounds more open and loose to me.

the wild cat sounds like a black cat with el34s and a little more gain (probably pretty close to what it is) so therefore it sounds like a c-30 with a tighter bottom end, el34 tone, and more gain maybe? who knows.

tone cat sounds like the hot cat dirty and the black cat clean.

hot cat sounds like no other amp ever made. it is it's own sound

3. Bradders

Bradders Member

thanks man - I should have searched for sure - did a quick one and boom - gotta lot of opinions in there for sure.............not sure it help[s me though hahahahah.

Geuss I need a dealer where I can twiddle and tweak, methinks.

thanks

4. wsaraceni

wsaraceni Member

what are you looking for from the amp? that might help others direct you more to the differences.

5. Bradders

Bradders Member

Fair point - I have a Bad Cat Cub II, and love it....just plain love it but would like something bigger for shows.

I know the similarities - generally - between the main BCs and Matchless and also the "connection."

I played a Clubman through a Matchelss 2*12 ( recorded with it actually) and fell in love with that "spongy", open swirly thing.

I get the BC = tighter bass and the Matchless = old school thing too - and am really looking for someone to make a point that i hadn't quite "got" that will tip me one way - -have to admit it that right now I'm on the Matchelss side of the fence but live close to a BC dealer.

see my dilema........perhaps there's no "answer" but to buy one and "suck it and see" you know.

6. zadiqof

zadiqof Member

1 tip, don't buy any of these amps brand new, resale is a bitch. The only thing that may help with is if they let you test drive the amps.

I've played 3 Badcats (two hotcat thirties, and I think it was a club, or just another hotcat), They had alot of gain on board, even at lower volumes, the bottom end was nice and tight but the top end had an unpleasant sparkle going on. Id say the top end was rather metalic sounding. Other than that it was a sweet amp.

Ive owned a Matchless Chieftain and currently own the Clubman 35. The Matchless' in my opinion have a more desirable clean tone, really fluid and not harsh with just the right sparkle, but one downfall, lol, I dont use clean . The Matchless amps don't have as much gain on tap as Badcats, but they do the grainy tone really well. My Chieftain was way smoother in comparison to my Clubman, but the Clubman has a bit more edge to it, which is why I stuck with it. It has more bite. I'd like to get my hands on an HC30, theyr'e supposed to be the bees knees. With my Clubman, I can easily dial in a tight bass response, it just takes a bit of eq'ing to the guitar/pedals/cab im using.

Theres my 2 cents

7. hw2nw

hw2nw Member

Alright, I'm going to try this...just don't crucify me. It's really hard, none of these are very concrete, and in some cases, it's like apples and oranges. :D

IMHO!!!

Black Cat sounds like...................Matchless <DC-30 with an improved bass response>
    Wild Cat sounds like .......... ........Matchless <Clubman on steroids>
    Tone Cat sounds like .......... ........Matchless <DC30+Chieftain on steroids>
    Hot Cat sounds like .......... ........Matchless <Phoenix with an extra gain stage and a very flexible EQ/level section>

Man that's tough. I'd be glad to help with specific questions!!! :)

8. Bradders

Bradders Member

thanks man -- that was what i was looking for.

I guess I need to check out the DC-30 ( cos everyone RAVES), Wildcat (cos I love the Clubman)- and the ToneCat sounds too dangerous to go ANYWHERE near..........

9. hw2nw

hw2nw Member

Depends what tone you want. Are you looking for an EL84 or EL34 amp? that will narrow it out right there. Since you liked the Clubman...a Wild Cat might be a nice steroid-pumped alternative. If you like the DC-30, many agree the Black Cat is the version Sampson got right.

Go out there and find a dealer and rock out!

(EDIT: Emerald City Guitars in Seattle has a Trem Cat in stock. That's a helluva EL84 amp!!)

10. Bradders

Bradders Member

yeahhhhhhh - you know, I have some el-84 amps and am thinking more about 34s ( Clubman) and have to admit I was surprised when I found it had a pair of 34s in it -- never heard them sound so articulate in a box before! I know EGCs in Seattle well, and the tremcat - but am looking for a head or 2*12 - not a big fan of the old 1*12 - despite the weight advantage!!!!!

Thanks for the help though

11. hw2nw

hw2nw Member

yeah, just thought you could get a feel for the EL84 Bad Cat tone from that TremCat.

12. wsaraceni

wsaraceni Member

why not go with the 30 watt cub. you can order it with or without reverb and trem. bad cat 2x12 combos are a BAD idea if you arent a body builder!!! head and 2x12 cab separate is the way to go.

13. hw2nw

hw2nw Member

True. James @ Bad Cat talked me out of that one. I'm glad he did. The 2x12s are a few pounds shy of 100lbs. The heads are 65lbs and 2x12s are also 65.

14. ToneKing

ToneKing Member

I have a clubman that I run through a Matchless 2x12. I absolutely love it. It has just the right amount of gain, and can easily be taken further with an overdrive. Plus, it has a killer clean tone. As for the bottom end, mine is as tight as I could wish for. :BEER

15. 6AM

6AM Supporting Member

The Black Cat description is correct, however the rest are way off base.

Wild Cat sounds like .......... ........Matchless <HC-85 or Phoenix>
    Tone Cat sounds like .......... ........Matchless <mix of an C-30 and a Hot Cat, no Matchless equivalent>
    Hot Cat sounds like .......... ........Matchless <no Matchless equivalent>

16. hw2nw

hw2nw Member

I don't think they're completely off. Just how I heard them. I definitely didn't hear the Wild Cat as a Phoenix-ish amp.