Bad Cat Mini II

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by YZDanno, Nov 13, 2005.

1. YZDanno

YZDanno Member

Anybody have one of these yet? How about any clips? With the 12" speaker I would imagine it sounds quite a bit different than the original.

2. Dennis Rayburn

Dennis Rayburn Supporting Member

Good Question. Bump.

Also, what about it having two 12AX7s instead of one? Does it have an additional pre-amp stage?

3. wsaraceni

wsaraceni Member

there are clips on the website. 2 very basic clips done by david grissom. hard to tell what the amp is like based on that though.

4. Jeff Flowerday

Jeff Flowerday Member

Ok, I just bought one.

I'll give an update when it arrives. Coming UPS Expedited so should see it next week.

5. YZDanno

YZDanno Member

Definitely give us a review when you get a chance.

6. Jeff Flowerday

Jeff Flowerday Member

Got the little bugger today.

It has a Bad Cat Vintage 30 in it if anyone was wondering exactly what the speaker was.

She's just a smidge louder than my tweed champ on steriods. My champ has a 10" Weber 10A125 in it and it's biased pretty hot with a JJ 6V6 and 5V4 rectifier.

I'd say the gain on it is just like my Hot Cat clean channel cranked. I like it, it definately sounds the best with the master above noon.

I think they could have made the cab a couple inches bigger in width and depth, it would have given it a bit more body.

Any questions, ask away...

7. Derelict

Derelict Member

so, a bit louder than your champ. would you say that it is about on par with a blues jr(or pro jr), as far as volumes go?

8. wsaraceni

wsaraceni Member

does anyone know if this is just a mini cat in a 12" box or if it is somehow different. clean channel cranked on the hotcat? ill have to try that!!!!

9. Jeff Flowerday

Jeff Flowerday Member

Cranked Hot Cat clean but 1/3 as loud as the 15 Watt Hot Cat.

Changes:
    The Mini Cat I only has 1 preamp tube. The Mini Cat II has 2 preamp tubes, I think one is for tone stack recovery just like Bad Cat does in the rest of their amps.

Note:

The amp has as 4/8/16 ohm selector on it, so I pulled the 8 ohm V30 and put a early 70s 16 ohm G12H30. Might as well use the whole winding of the output tranny. The G12H30 has better bottom end, it's clearer with less mids. More crunch as well. The V30 is a little overkill for the little guy.

Jeff

10. Jeff Flowerday

Jeff Flowerday Member

No it's not as loud as Blues or Pro Jr. This is single ended EL84 in comparison to 2 EL84s in both of the above amps. A good efficient 12" speaker in comparison to the crappy 10" in the pro, probably gets to 75% as loud as the Pro Jr.

11. wsaraceni

wsaraceni Member

that's cool. i was thinking of ordering it in head form since i am probably going to get an iso-cab for recording and already have a nice 2x12 for when i want to hear it in the same room

12. wsaraceni

wsaraceni Member

also,

how much gain does the clean channel cranked have on the hot cat. i havent ever cranked the clean channel. i guess i should eventually.

13. Jeff Flowerday

Jeff Flowerday Member

It's a good amount of gain, more than any of my BF or Tweed Fenders could produce cranked.

14. wsaraceni

wsaraceni Member

hmm....so overall...is it a keeper?

i wonder what it would cost in head version

15. Jeff Flowerday

Jeff Flowerday Member

It's pretty expensive for a little combo amp.

Definately a keeper. Great little practice amp as is.

Add in the line out into a bigger amp allows it to be gigged. She's a Herzog in that way.

Jeff