Bad Cat old vs. new with K master

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by idnotbe, Apr 20, 2016.

1. idnotbe

idnotbe Member

i am interested in Bad Cat Black Cat or Matchless HC.

1. are there any tone difference between the older Bad Cat and the new one with K master?
    some says the older one has better tone... so wonder it is true or not.

2. does Bad Cat retrofit the order model to install K master circuit?
    or does they retrofit Matchless for K master?

3. are there similar retrofit options to K master?
    for ex, how about the 3rd power HybridMASTER?

Last edited: Apr 20, 2016
  2. Mr.Strat

Mr.Strat Member

I am interested in question one as well.

3. StuartMac

StuartMac Member

Yep, me too. I have a Sampson-era Black Cat 30 head and it's an incredible amp, but extremely loud

burns likes this.
  4. FFTT

FFTT Member

John or James at Bad Cat are the ones to ask on refurbishing options.

5. Hard2Hear

Hard2Hear Member

I own a few Bad Cats and I prefer the newer ones over the older ones I have. I think all the 'Sampson era" stuff is just BS for people to try to sell their used gear at a premium price. On the newer models, I find the build cleaner, the features better, and they seem a little more durable to me too. Both old and new sound great to me, but there is certainly more flexibility in the newer models. Just my own opinions as an owner and big fan.

Slevin likes this.
  6. He_Ma

He_Ma Member

I was looking for Bad cats about a year ago.. I found one guy who was selling his non K-master volume black cat 30. Few days before I was going to buy/try it out he informed me, that amp he was looking to replace his Black Cat had been sold few days too early for me and he couldn't sell Black cat to me at the moment. He was still kind enough to let me try it.. I liked the amp and after two weeks when this guy was still not able to sell his Black cat, I decided to order new Black Cat 30R with K-master. I haven't compared them side by side, but I would say that they are really similiar.

The K-master model stays quite clean if you aren't able to open it up little bit. Tones are OK with more silent volumes and it gets good and then even better when opening up which is bad when you play it in the apartment and start adding just a little more volume again and again to the point it's quite loud and your neighbours start banging walls to remind you :)

7. joeprs

joeprs Member

I have a Cub II and a Cub III, with the K-Master you have better control over your volume. IMO, they both sound just as good as each other when played at the same volume level. YMMV of course, tone is subjective.
    I did inquire about having my Cub II retrofitted with a K-Master before buying the Cub III, and was told that it was not worth it, or cost effective, to bother.

Slevin and NamaEnsou like this.