1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Bad Cat owners

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by ejecta, Jun 16, 2006.

1. ejecta

ejecta Supporting Member

Im specifically getting a Hot Cat 30R but what Im looking for is what you Bad Cat owners experiences have been with reliability in gigging enviroment. I know they run hot and can eat tubes quicker than some amps.

Any info would be great.

2. TimH

TimH Member

they're built better than a brick sh*thouse.

3. B Vance

B Vance Member

The only issue I've ever had was a fuse blowing when our singer decided to unplug it while it was still live and then plug it back in. I will second the built like a brick comment.

4. hw2nw

hw2nw Member

We've talked about this, but since I got that reverb relay fixed (two minute fix), I've had zero problems live. It's built to last longer than you! :D

5. 6AM

6AM Supporting Member

The tube life will vary with usage. Built solid. No need to worry.

6. ejecta

ejecta Supporting Member

Cool! I love the tone of the 30R. Just like to get the skinny from guys who have used it in the real world. hw2nw was most helpful with his experience, just wanted to get a little more input from some others.

7. ejecta

ejecta Supporting Member

8. Tallhorses

Tallhorses Member

I'm not sure if there's a more durable amp out there. As far as tubes are concerned the problem is more likely with the tube not the amp!

I've owned several bad cats over the last 3 years and I've only changed out one rectifier tube and a microphonic 12ax7 or two!

9. Bradders

Bradders Member

Bad Cats are solid, man, just plain solid. Like someone already pointed out, 99% of the time if you've a tube issue - it'll more likely be the tube than the amp.....these things are Great if my Cub II's anything to go by..........got me salivating over a Black Cat now..................

10. Steve Foley

Steve Foley Member

I've been running a Black Cat and a Two Rock Custom almost exclusively for the last three or four years with no problems at all. The Bad Cats are definitely built solid...and man, are they HEAVY! (But they sound SO good....:D )

11. floobeedust

floobeedust Member

I just got a hot cat combo that travelled half way around the planet in a flight case. The gain channel isnt working when I plug into the gain input..hopefully something small and stupid that I havent sussed out yet. Clean channel is very nice.

12. vchizzle

vchizzle Supporting Member

hey ejecta -
    i've had my 30W hot cat for about 4 yrs. not a single problem to date. i've had the 100 W hot cat for 3 yrs. i had one issue with it, the ohm selector switch was messed up. i learned of it only when i bought a new cab that was 16 ohm. previous cabs were 8 ohm. when i switched it to 16 and plugged into my new cab, i had no sound and the amp blew a fuse. it turned out the switch wasn't connecting in the 16 ohm position - basically like playing a tube amp with no cab. after i got it fixed, no problems to date.

i also want to say i gigged/rehearsed these two amps pretty hard for 3 years. 2-3 hours/day - 4 to 5 days/week. they were hauled with no road cases in a trailer(risky/dumb move) for the first 2 yrs. the 3rd year i finally got 'em into cases. so they took a lot of loading and unloading and travel with no issues aside from the one above. they are built very solid. they do run hot and eat tubes - but no over heating issues, ever, even in a live in roadcase(just the front and back come off).

13. ejecta

ejecta Supporting Member

Thanks for everyone's input!

14. yellowecho

yellowecho Member

I absolutely love my Bad Cat Cub IIR! I cant even imagine buying anything but Bad Cat now- I'm just so pleased.
    They're built extremely solid, so dont worry. I'd get a flight case for touring, though... but that's only because they're too sexy to scratch.

15. Red Planet

Red Planet Member

Where is the Bad Cat website? I dont see it anywhere.

16. yellowecho

yellowecho Member

www.badcatamps.com
    their website is still getting a makeover, though.

17. ejecta

ejecta Supporting Member

Thanks again for everyones input. Im looking foward to getting my 30R.

18. minesaguinness

minesaguinness Member

http://www.badcatamps.com/

Cheers
    Brian

19. Rod

Rod Tone is Paramount Silver Supporting Member

These amps are the KIng of reliability..Mark Sampson always designs his amps for Touring professionals The hot cat is a cathode biased amp..IE/self biasing...for reliability sake, do what I did and put a pair of JJ EL34's in it..good sounding tube that's VERY reliable....

20. ejecta

ejecta Supporting Member

Again thanks to everyone here that gave me your input. My 30R should be here today. :RoCkIn