Bad Cat Panther owners/ former owners weigh in please

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by cg, Feb 12, 2008.

1. cg

cg Silver Supporting Member

What does the amp do well? What doesn't it do well? Is it a great multi-purpose rock amp? I love the tones Grissom gets. Does it need to be at club volumes to sound great? I am on my never ending quest for my ideal amp. I am not tied to any one tone, but definitely stay away from modern metal tones. I love everything from AC/DC, Zep, Gov't Mule, Black Crowes, etc.

My RSA23 is very close to perfect. I wish it had a bit more headroom. I love the gain of the RSA23.

For reference, I briefly owned a HotCat (ver 1) and didn't care for its gain. It was a bit buzzy to my ears.

2. aaronbarnes

aaronbarnes Member

3. Stormin

Stormin Supporting Member

I know this is more JCM800 than Plexi, but I'm really happy using an EL-34 Shiva for my "AC/DC, Zep, Gov't Mule, Black Crowes, etc" tones. I back the gain down between 12:00 and 2:00 and use a Fulldrive II Mosfet to add to either channel. It's very Allmans era Warren Haynes with a Les Paul. The Clean channel with the FD-II does a real nice Texas blues with a Strat or a Tele.

I haven't tried them all, but in my search, I haven't found a Bad Cat or a Matchless that does the above tones as well as the Shiva does.

YMMV,

Stormin!

4. eru

eru Member

I love bad cat cleans. Gorgeous.

I haven't played a panther, but there are sound clips on the website and it sounds like what you're looking for.

5. cg

Do you have a link? It didn't work for me.

6. cg

I have owned a few different Shivas and they are very, very close to what I want. There is a fizziness in the OD channel I can't dial out that kills it for me. I would like to try one of the new models with the bright switches. I'd also like to try a 6L6 model.

7. IPlayHamers

IPlayHamers Member

I have a Tone Cat and I haven't experienced the buzziness you mentioned. That said, I believe the type of speakers and cab make a huge difference. With my Diezel 2x12 loaded with V30's, it's very foward and can be a bit bright if I'm not careful. What's strange is that through a Egnater 4x12 with the same speakers, the amp sounds warmer and obviously fully. I didn't expect it to be that different, but it is. I'm planning on getting the Egnater cab because it's better suited to the amp IMO, and keep the Diezel for something else. I've also tried the cab through a Marshall 4x12 HW with 30 watt Celestions and it sounded really good, but with less low end. Sadly I haven't had a chance to play the amp through a Bad Cat cab yet, so I can't comment on that combination. With some carefull tweaking you should be able to get this amp to do most anything you want, IMO.

8. SReynolds

SReynolds Supporting Member

I played a ToneCat at Willcutts and if I hadn't of just bought a Mcinturff it would have came home with me. Good amp! I will have one. No buzziness in that one at all. To me it was the best sounding amp in the store.

9. Cranknfrank

Cranknfrank Member

Hello,
    I just got my Panther R 1-12 combo at the end of the year......first gig with it was NYE. I've been playing a Bad Cat Wildcat since 2001 and the Panther is a really different animal. After a month and half with the amp, I am just starting to get comfortable with it. It didn't come with a manual and it really should have. Just about everything about the amp is tweakable. It's too much to detail here, but suffice to say, if you like to tweak, you'll love this amp.

Basically, it's 35 watts-Class AB. Channel 1 is 12ax7 based and very American sounding while Channel 2 is EF86 based and has a Vox-ish quality. The Celestion V30 keeps the amp from getting too AC30-like, though. It's a very responsive amp but it took an almost complete retubing to get the amp really going.

The EF86 channel was dead on arrival. Some of the other tubes had weird, microphonic stuff happening so I bit the bullet and bought all new preamp tubes. I used a Dario Miniwatt EF86 (highly recommended!) and Groove Tubes 12ax7's for everything else. These changes brought the amp to life and now that the speaker is opening up, the amp is really starting to sound good.

FYI, the amp comes equipped with Ruby tubes and I just don't think that they are very flattering to the amp. With the Dario and Groove Tubes, the amp came alive with a 3 dimensional quality that had tightness and greater touch sensitivity. The amp was headed for Ebay before the retubing, that's how much of a difference that the new tubes made. Now, I'm definitely keeping it.

Another plus....you can blend the 2 channels together. I play mainly Strats but also a PRS McCarty, McCarty Hollowbody and a Tele and they all sound good through this amp. The amp sounds good at all volume levels. It has good string to finger feel even at very low volumes. I do recommend the amp highly, but it may not arrive out of the box with the exact tone you are looking for. But again, it just might.

Take care.

10. cg

Can you describe the tone of the amp? Any songs that might be reflective of the amp?

11. ruger9

ruger9 Supporting Member

Wow. A brand new $3000 (or more?) amp that requires all new preamp tubes. What a deal. You'd think for that kind of money they would at least spring for good tubes.

12. ecbluesman54

ecbluesman54 Member

i love my Panther. I am currently using it in a cover band situation. Some of the covers include AC/DC, Zep, pearl Jam, and also some more modern rock and pop songs. It can cover all of this real well. The best tone for the stuff we are playing is with the 2 channels blended. I have played a few Bad Cats and this has been one of my favortite. The Tone Cat is also real nice, but the combo is real heavy.
    Good luck!

[​IMG]

13. cg

Cool rig! What speakers are in your cabinet? Does the amp sound good at moderate volumes? Can it stay pretty clean with a Les Paul?

14. sickboy79

sickboy79 Member

Nice rig indeed ECbluesman54!

15. ecbluesman54

ecbluesman54 Member

Thanks!
    The cab has the stock Bad Cat speakers in it. I always thought they sounded great so no need to mess with them. Where each channel has a defeatable master volume, you can really adjust the levels to be just right. The Panther has very good master volume controls in my opinion. The clean channel can stay very clean, and can go all the way to a nice crunchy rythym sound. Just like the post above states, there is a lot of tweaking that can be done. The controls are interactive, and very useful. It is easy to get great tones quickly though.

16. aaronbarnes

aaronbarnes Member

that picture is just about perfect.....

the background just needs to be the wall in MY house instead of yours.

17. Cranknfrank

Cranknfrank Member

The amp is really unique. It is hard to describe tonally. I play in a rock band that does private gigs, colleges, festivals, etc. and covering a large spectrum of music from the '50's through the '90's. I need good clean tones and good rock tones. So far, the amp has delivered on all accounts. Here are some live clips of David Grissom playing the amp.

Clip 1 is a Panther Combo. He is using a FD2 for his overdrive tone. He is also playing his new signature guitar.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=i76Xphr1Z8Q

Clip 2 is Grissom in his studio playing a Panther head through a closed back cab.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OnXOiILg2xU

Enjoy...........