Bad Cat question...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by LocustXReign, Jul 4, 2008.

1. LocustXReign

LocustXReign Member

My lynx 50 has a voicing switch on the back panel, and I'm not positive as to what it's doing, but I know that I like the clean channel better with it down, and the dirty channel better with it up.

I'm trying to find out exactly what the switch does (I got my rig direct from James via the artist program, and he didn't send along any kinda paper work :jo ), and if there is a way to wire things so that the clean channel goes through the switch in the down position, and the dirty goes through it in the up one.

-Dave B

2. sickboy79

sickboy79 Member

Hmmm - good question. Maybe James can give you some insight on it?

3. LocustXReign

LocustXReign Member

Im going to call them on Monday, but I figured I'd post today because I'm a bit bored haha.

-Dave B

4. mj07

mj07 Supporting Member

maybe ss rectifier vs. tube?

5. wire 247

wire 247 Member

I have wondered the same thing. It seems to tame down the overdrive and possibly add more mids.. I would like to know also...

6. LocustXReign

LocustXReign Member

It has that feature as well, and it's nicely labeled haha

7. LocustXReign

LocustXReign Member

I've played with the switch all night, with different guitars and at different volumes (The parents are in New Orleans for the weekend lol) and here are my conclusions:

When in the down position, it adds a bit more high end chime, and makes the clean channel a bit more pristine sounding, however when you have the dirty channel on in the down position, it's a bit more ragged sounding and has a bit of an undesirable high end. The dirty channel on this setting does sound very cool with a strat though.

When in the up position, the clean channel gets a bit more middy, and loses a bit of it's dimension IMO. The dirty side, however, gets what I'd consider one of the best rock and roll tones I've ever heard. Just the perfect marshall on 'roids with that little Badcat/Matchless twist to it.

I still want to see if I can have it hardwired so that my clean channel always goes through the down position and dirty always goes through the up :(