1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

Bad Cat recomendation

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Hugo, Oct 5, 2006.

1. Hugo

Hugo Member

I have recently palyed a Cub IIR and really loved it. I am on the verge of taking the plunge for one of their amp. I would like to have at least the Cub clean and dirty sound but with the option of more power. Which Bad Cat (or Matchless) model would do that: 30 Watt with half power switch :confused: ? And yes, the amp has to be 1X12 and not weight a ton!

Thank you!

Hugues

2. McSoappy

McSoappy Member

You've just described the Trem Cat to a "T".:hiP

3. B Vance

B Vance Member

The Black Cat would be a match as well. As far as the "not weigh a ton" part...not so sure. I have the 2x12 and it does weigh a ton (about 90 lbs). I think the 1x12 still weighs in at around 70 lbs. That's one detractions from the Bad Cats...they're HEAVY!!!

4. McSoappy

McSoappy Member

Yeah, I think the Wildcat 2x12 combo has gotta be one of the heaviest amps of all time.

5. hw2nw

hw2nw Member

Go with the Trem Cat. Solid amp!

6. bluesmain

bluesmain Member

trem cat is a very hip amp!

7. BBHollowbody

BBHollowbody Member

trem cat is the answer.

8. Hugo

Hugo Member

Thanks. That helps alot. I will try to find one of those to try out...It really seems to me that those Bad Cat eyes will be soon glowing in the dark of my studio. :dude

Hugues.

9. McSoappy

McSoappy Member

Where in the US do you live?

10. SLG

SLG Member

If you like the Cub, and want more power, just go with the new Bad Cat Custom Shop Cub 30. It's all the same Cub circuitry, but has two additional EL84's for 30 watts total.

All Bad Cats, with the exception of the MiniCat, weigh a ton. If portage is a consideration, get a Cub 30 in head form. Then pair it with a lightweight pine 1x12 cabinet.

11. Hugo

Hugo Member

I live in Europe, Spain. I am lucky enough to have one Bad Cat dealer nearby in Barcelona. Will check with him tomorow if he has the Trem Cat in stock.

12. vbjamin

vbjamin Member

Love my Bad Cat Cub 11 nr, Like it even better with a speaker swap. 15 watts has been good too me.

13. sicktone

sicktone Member

I've had a bunch of Bad Cats--they are all great in their way, but the Cub II (No Reverb) rig I just picked up from another TGPer is my new fave. If I was gigging I'd be looking for a Cub 30 with a half power switch. I have a Trem Cat--it's killer but different than the Cub. If you like reverb and trem it will blow you away.
    The Black Cat has some amazing tones and might be easier to find in Europe.
    Send an email to James at Badcat. He will be happy to point you in the right direction.

14. Hugo

Hugo Member

Thanks for all that information.
    Sicktone, how would you describe the main tonal differences between the Cub and the Trem Cat?

15. Mayflower

Mayflower Supporting Member

16. amc

amc Member

Another vote for the Tremcat!

It has a great "feel" and is the best sounding amp I've ever owned.

17. Hugo-

Get the custom shop CubII 30 watt.
    Same exact amp, just double the wattage.
    The Trem Cat doesnt sound much like the Cub at all to my ears(i have the CubIINR).
    Call James, he's really cool and helpful.

Luke

18. Hugo

Hugo Member

90Wreck.

Thanks for the proposition but I live in Spain and need an amp with 220 Volt primary power transformer. Otherwise, I would have sure made an offer for that nice amp.

I will follow the advise and give James a call to discuss my tonal needs.

Hugues.

19. sicktone

sicktone Member

The Trem Cat sounds darker than the Cub to my ears. The Cub has some amazing cleans and many degrees of overdrive as you crank the volume. It's also easier to quickly dial in a good tone.
    That said, the Trem Cat has many settings to dial in specific tones. More diverse than the Cub, but it takes some time to figure it out. The Trem Cat is more "bluesy" when clean, but more gainy when pushed. It covers classic to modern sounds amazingly well.
    I hope that helps. Both amps are great, but as we all know here at TGP: No amp does it all. Also, 4 power tubes sound different than 2 power tubes. That's why I like the idea of a Cub II 30 for gigging.
    I hope that helps. All the Bad Cat stuff is great IMHO. You just need to find the right one. Good luck!

20. McSoappy

McSoappy Member

+1 I think that has a lot to do with the extra power a TremCat has vs. a Cub.