Bad Cat - Tone Cat

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by brianf, May 21, 2006.

1. brianf

brianf Member

Does anyone here have one of these little beauties??????
    I'm gassing bad.

brianf

2. Scott_F

Scott_F Member

I was at their factory a year or two ago. If it's the same amp I'm thnking of, it was basically a 5E3 on steroids. Tight and thick, though. At the time, they were running about $900 or so. I was very impressed.

3. danieldroukas

danieldroukas Member

Tone Cat for $900? 5E3 via EL34s/EL84s? I think Scott may have his amps confuzzled. I think Scott is referring the Classic Cat.

I played a Tone Cat at Rudy's Music in NY... wasn't too impressed. I much preferred their Custom Shop amps over the Tone Cat during that visit.

4. brianf

brianf Member

Wrong model. The Tone Cat is their Flagship. Both an EL84 and an EL34 power section with even a blend switch!!!

brianf

5. brianf

brianf Member

What are the Custom Shop amps??? Sort of like a PRS Private Stock program?

brianf

6. danieldroukas

danieldroukas Member

Don't know the names if they had any. they were just labeled custom shop. The one I liked had two preamps, one blatantly the EF86 preamp via the 6 way tone selector and the other some 12AX7 type. They had two I played with the same preamps but different power stages (EL84 and EL34). Both had tube buffered effects loops, channel switching, reverb, etc. I think they may have been modded Black Cats.

Not familiar with PRS to any degree other than I don't like them.

7. brianf

brianf Member

That sounds like the Tone cat. Maybe you saw a proto type when you were there.

brianf

8. danieldroukas

danieldroukas Member

I know the tone cat has both EL34s AND EL84s... these two amps I saw had only one pair of either, not both. I reread my last post and I see how I might have accidently inferred the amps I played had both in one unit. Sorry.

Although the idea of the tone cat does intrigue me, its tone didn't. I'm still contemplating my next build (delayed now that I bought a Cub II from Kwk13 on here). Seems that Bad Cat took a note from my next-to-build-amp plans, but they did it the British route. My amp will be the same mixed power stage but with the American big bottle/little bottle cousins: 6L6 and 6V6.

9. brianf

brianf Member

Can you pin point what it was you did not like? I was all set to grab a new matchless DC 30 but even the dealer told be to wait for some Bad Cats to come in.

Thanks

brianf

10. danieldroukas

danieldroukas Member

The distortion was a little brittle for me. Admittedly, however, I was playing with the master volume on a little (not in "bedroom level" territory, though). These class A beasts really need to be played to the point of saturating the power stage, otherwise their preamp distortion is just a little too buzzy. However, this is coming from someone who's played vintage Fenders all his life. I'm accustom to the thick warm snarl of a tweed Deluxe, and I think the Custom Shop amps I played were closer to that cup of tea than the Tone Cat. (By no way am I equating a tweed deluxe directly to a bad cat, I know they're ENTIRELY different animals).

The spot of bother about Matchlesses and more so Bad Cats is their brightness. Matchlesses tend to be a little warmer than their Bad Cat cousins (at least in my experience). I built an HC-30 that, to the opinion of a majority of people, sounds better than the real deal. This I can attribute somewhat to my addition of 3 position bright switches to both channels to adjust the intense treble bight these things can have. If you're looking for the warmer of the two, I'd go for Matchless. But you still can't beat either...

In my humble opinion...

11. Jimmydeez

Jimmydeez Supporting Member

12. wsaraceni

wsaraceni Member

i believe that is the classic cat you are referring to. the newer ones are more than that (about 1450 or so) but they do have the bigger 1x12 cabinet and the light up logo!!! with the controls out front

13. brianf

brianf Member

Thanks for the link Jimmydeez but the Classic cat is not what I'm looking for. It is the Tone Cat for sure.

brianf

14. Scott_F

Scott_F Member

\

Sorry, I was definitely mistaken. Too many cat names.

Tone Merchants back then was the only US retailer to have the classic cat. I think james was sending a lot of them to Japan at the time. They were pretty inexpensive compared to the rest of the line. Very toneful little amps.

15. lbw

lbw Member

Does anyone know what the deal with the Bad Cat website is? It's been in various stages of disrepair for months..

16. brianf

brianf Member

There is some disclaimer on it now saying they will be up soon. (Whatever that means).

brianf