Bad Cat Trem Cat or Tone Cat

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by agentcooper2001, Oct 14, 2005.

1. agentcooper2001

agentcooper2001 Member

I'm trying to decide between these two. I'm thinking a 2x12 combo either way. Which one would you choose and why?

2. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

the Tone Cat is first, alphabetically. :p

I've read about the Trem Cat. Seems like an extra cool amp. What's the Tone Cat all about? (I'm too lazy to go to their website).

3. agentcooper2001

agentcooper2001 Member

the Tone Cat is a dual channel amp, the clean side with El84's and the dirty side with EL34's. Supposedly, it's like having a Black Cat and Hot Cat in one amp.

The thing I haven't been able to get a clear answer on is if the clean side is 2 EL84's or 4 El84's. I know the dirty side is 30 watts, so you'd think the clean side would be the same, but I think I read somewhere that the clean side is 15 watts. That would be kind of strange.

4. ChazMania

ChazMania Silver Supporting Member

According to boutiqueguitarexchange.com the Tone Cat is 30 w on both channels.....
    Sounds like a tasty shredding amp...

5. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

sounds like you've found your next amp :D

6. Tone Disciple

Tone Disciple Gold Supporting Member

I have a Hot Cat 30 (EL34's) and a Matchless HC30 (EL84's), the idea of having both in one sounds pretty hard to beat. Although lately I have been wanting a trem sound, so - I understand your dilemna.

7. agentcooper2001

agentcooper2001 Member

yeah, both in one amp sounds ideal. I can always use a pedal for tremolo, like the Semaphore or Frantone Vibutron.

Where in Texas are you? I'm in Texarkana.

8. Tone Disciple

I live in Fort Worth, although at the moment I am in Chicago, where I just spent some time at Make 'n Music one of my favorite guitar stores, where I, buy the way, played a Tone Cat. Very nice. Everyone here should also check out the Blues Star from Star amps.

9. procos

procos Supporting Member

In the Grouse woods or on the golf course
    What did the Blues Star remind you of?

Chuck

10. Tone Disciple

Chuck

To be honest, I did not play it, because I did not realize they had one until I was leaving. Ted described it as a straght ahead EL 34 amp although when I looked at the website they said it did have a master volume. I have liked the Star amps I have played.

The only two amps I played at Ted's were a Fuchs OD30 and the Tone Cat. I was also tryng out Trussarts and Fender Custom Shop and EJ strats. Pretty disappointed in the Trussarts.

The Tone Cat had the neat feature of an EL84 clean side and an EL34 gain side. They could be blended and were switchable not only between channels, but also could be blended two ways, appaarently with either side in front of the other. It would take a while to dial in the best blended tones, but it looked like it would be a neat feature.

Chuck you have had some great amps. Out of the Constellation, Komet 60, Two Rocks, Shivas, etc that you have had, which was your all time favorite? Why?

Once you start getting onto the price range where these amps fall you have some pretty nice options. On the other hand, the re-sell value is not near what the asking price is for these amps which is why these forums are such a great help! I would really like to be able to avoid expensive mistakes. Your experience would be very helpful.

Inquiring minds want to know!

11. Pushaman

Pushaman Guest

I wasn't even aware the Blues Star was even out on the market yet. I emailed class A high performance, because they listed as having the amp in their site, a while ago and inquired about the amp. I never got any reply or feedback from them since. I wish someone would come forth and talk about this amp, becuase I am looking for something 15 watts class A and I'm currently thinking about the bad cat cub.

12. Tone Disciple

Ted at Make 'n Music will ship you an amp.

www.makenmusic.com

I believe the Blues Star he had in stock was the 30 watt model. I can recommend them as a great outift to do business with.

13. procos

procos Supporting Member

In the Grouse woods or on the golf course
    I really loved the Constellation and really should get another one and just might. I love my London 65 and my JMI Vox as much. The Two Rock stuff is great as well. I guess my top 5 in no particular order would be

1) Constellation
    2) Komet 60
    3) London 65
    4) '62 JMI AC30
    5) Two Rock LTD, Opal or Onyx
    6) Aiken Tomcat
    7) Suhr CAA OD100

OK that was 7 but those are my alltime favorites.

Chuck

14. dankayaker

dankayaker Supporting Member

"I wasn't even aware the Blues Star was even out on the market yet. I emailed class A high performance, because they listed as having the amp in their site, a while ago and inquired about the amp. I never got any reply or feedback from them since. I wish someone would come forth and talk about this amp, becuase I am looking for something 15 watts class A and I'm currently thinking about the bad cat cub."

I have the GainStar 15 and it's a tremendous amp. Clean channel is very sweet and the drive channel as a ton of gain (but does not sound like an extension of the clean channel at all).

15. Tone Disciple

Thanks for the post Chuck. Your favorite amps looks like a list of my "most wanted". My Matchless HC30 is my favorite of the amps I have owned, but I see you are selling your SC30. Don't you like it? Or are your others just that much better?

16. agentcooper2001

agentcooper2001 Member

Did you feel like you got the best of both worlds out of the Tone Cat, between the Machless HC-30 and the Bad Cat Hot Cat?

17. Tone Disciple

Hard to say. One thing I do not like (out of all the great things) at Make 'n Music is their sound room. I didn't play the amp long; the room was small and had some echo; and I was not that comfortable going into the volume range where I thought the features of the amp would really shine. I got there just an hour before they were closing for the day and I was checking out guitars as well, so I did not have time to fully explore everything.

Still - there seemed to be a lot of versatility in the blended channel features. Yet - and here you guessed it - I was not sure but what I wouldn't prefer having the separate amps. I really like the EL84 overdriven sound of my Matchless. On the Tone Cat, the EL84 side is designated as the clean channel. The EL34 side had the separate gain control with Master volume. What I do a lot with my separate heads is use an A/B switch with a Keeley Compressor, a Blues Driver and a Digital Delay to switch between amp channels (usually) or between amp heads (ocassionally). This setup is very nice and when I was checking out the Tone Cat I was wondering if (for the money) I wouldn't prefer to keep the two separate amps so I would have a back up if one went out on me.

With a little patience you could buy a good used Hot Cat and an HC30 for the price of the Tone Cat. Throw in an A/B/C switch and you might have the same versatility! It would be a lot heftier package though.