bad cat trouble

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by antfm_ny_fl, Aug 19, 2008.

1. antfm_ny_fl

antfm_ny_fl Member

Hello, a fuse blew on my bad cat cub II and i replaced it but immediately after i got about a minute of playing then that fuse blew. I plug the amp into a surge protector and then run through a couple of pedals, nothing major but a very basic set up. Before taking it to get looked at any ideas on what the problem may be and does it seem like it ca be really bad??? Please help.

2. phsyconoodler

phsyconoodler Member

First thing to check is output tubes.Get a fresh set in the amp and get another fuse.See what happens.

3. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    If it uses a tube rectifier check that too.

Bad Cats are infamous for running their power tubes WAY beyond the maximum specifications so it wouldn't be surprising if you had a shorted power tube.

4. darkbluemurder

darkbluemurder Member

So what power tubes would you recommend for their models that run with EL 34 tubes?

Thanks
    Stephan

5. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    +1. SEDs have worked where others have failed.

Better yet, have the cathode bias resistor increased to the proper value to run the tubes at no more than 100% max power dissipation.

6. phsyconoodler

phsyconoodler Member

Mike,Mike,Mike.....You should just sell the 'Badcat' retube package.It consists of 2 sets of power tubes.;)