Bad Cat users chime in here

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Tonemeister69, Sep 24, 2006.

1. Tonemeister69

Tonemeister69 Member

Hi,

I have recently joined the Bad Cat club with a Hot Cat 100 head.

I have a couple of questions for all of you who have some experience with these amps :)

Do you use an AB or ABY switch/which one?

How do you set up your live sound? I.e. Do you run the clean or high-gain imput or both? Do you use pedals for your crunch sound or for solos boosts? Or do you set the amp and work the volume + effects?

What pedals do you use with the amp? Particularly which delay/reverb pedals?

Thanks a ton,

Tim

2. Tonemeister69

Tonemeister69 Member

3. suprotennessee

suprotennessee Member

I have a BadCat Wildcat 40. I love it. I used it live about 5 times before conceding that I will not have a back in year if I keep having to carry it in and out of my studio (20 steep steps).

I am the second owner, so I don't know the full scoop on this amp (no manual, etc). But I set the gain for a little breakup when I am playing hard, the engage the master volume for level (ie. w/o that master it would be insanely loud).

I am very impressed with my Zevex Super Duper, and EH Memory Man in front of the BadCat. Earlier on, I would use my Space Echo instead of the Memory Man. Sounded awesome, but I didn't want to put undo stress on the Space Echo by taking it out to play live as I use it in the studio all the time. That's pretty much it.

4. bluesmain

bluesmain Member

I 'm a new Cat owner myself but, I'm playing thru a Classic.

5. Tonemeister69

Tonemeister69 Member

Hey mate, thanks for that :)

I actually have a Super Duper that hasn't worked for me with a variety of amps. I have yet to try it with the Bad Cat though. Do you use it for a solo boost?

About the effects. My Hot Cat has actually been modded with a tube-buffered effects loop switchable between series and parralel so most modulation pedals will probably end up in there, I'm just not sure which ones yet :D

So far I'm thinking the following:

Guitars into Lehle Dual

A: To pedlboard

TB switchbox. Signal goes to TU-2 only or the rest of the board.
    Analogman Sunface
    Barber Tone Press
    Paul Cochrane Timmy
    MI Audio Tube Zone

B: Straight to amp's hi-gain imput. (This is purely for higher gain solos)

Effects loop: (usually in series)

Analogman Clone Chorus
    Diamond Memory Lane

Any comments would be greatly apprectiated. I don't have most of these pedals yet as I sold a whole bunch to fund the Bad Cat. I just bought a Pedltrain2 and I'll be looking for a pro setup for anything from Church to covers to my originals band (alt rock/pop)

Thanks,

Tim

6. lgehrig4

lgehrig4 Silver Supporting Member

I don't play live, but I have a Hot Cat 30. Get an A/B/Y so that you have the option of blending the channels like the newer ones. You may prefer the gain channel on it's own, but at least you'll have the option.

7. Tonemeister69

Tonemeister69 Member

Hmmm....people have recommended that to me, but a lot of people think it doesn't sound so great with both channels engaged. I'll try it for sure though.
    I don't have an AB or ABY switch at the moment so I'm just plugging into either input. I'd be interested to hear what both channels would sound like together!

Do you have a personall prefference for a good ABY switch? Lehle? Tone Bone?

Thanks

8. lgehrig4

You might prefer to keep each channel separate as well, but it certainly pays to have that option on the switch. I have a loop master and I couldn't imagine one being much better. Silent when switching and no loss of tone. Plus for $60 you cannot go wrong.

9. hw2nw

hw2nw Member

Love my Hot Cat 30R. I rarely use the A/B/Y switch that it came with, I set the gain channel for a nice crunch that cleans up with picking/guitar volume. In front I run my EHX Deluxe Memory Man and a Tim pedal for solos when I'm feeling ballsy!

10. voodoochile

voodoochile Supporting Member

I have a Hot Cat 30R, one of the newer ones, so the footswitch engages like the ABY switch owuld do.

Abou the sound:I do like them both simultaneously because it is very different sounding. Actually, the Hot cat has a very different voice to me than most of amps, so it adds to the uniqueness. Because the Bad Cat has quite a high gain potential, I like to blend the sounds such that I have about 65% drive channel with 35% clean. This enables the crispness to come thorugh while maintaining a little compression and balls in the background. Very intense sounding when done right.

I am not a fingerpicking guitarist for the most part, but this amp does inspire me to use the attacka dn punch that the HC has. Blending the channels is a cool twist indeed, IMHO.

11. lgehrig4

Thats quite an impressive arsenal you got there VooDoo! Do you really need all those amps? ;)

Mesa Lonestar Special 2x12
    Top Hat 2x12 cab
    Aiken Invader
    Bogner Shiva, XTC, and OS Cab
    BadCat Hot Cat 2x12
    Anderson, PRS, Gibson, Fender...

12. trinian1

trinian1 Supporting Member

I have a Hot Cat 30 combo. I've been using a Whirlwind Selector and have had great success with it. I also run an unmodified TS-9 reissue and a Boss DD-5 in front of the amp--the TS 9, with the gain dialed all the way back and the level cranked, makes a pretty good boost pedal to the gain input (though it does color the tone somewhat).

13. Gibsonchild

Gibsonchild Member

Just curious here.... is it possible to jumper the channels like a plexi to run both at once? I suppose I could just try, but where's the fun in that? :)

14. McSoappy

McSoappy Member

Welcome to the Bad Cat fraternity Tonemeister69.

I actually just got a A/B/Y switch from Bad Cat (not the older ones that were made by someone else)....it's a great A/B/Y pedal. If I didn't have the Bad Cat A/B/Y pedal option I would go for the Lehle Dual for sure. Lehle switchers are by far the best.

Welcome again!

15. Tonemeister69

Tonemeister69 Member

Thanks for the info guys!

I think I'll go with a Lehle 1@3 (ABY) box as it has its own power supply that suposedly gets rid of the hum. I could be wrong about that though.

I'll experiment some more with the amp and see how I go.

Thanks again,

Tim

16. wsaraceni

wsaraceni Supporting Member

i think the lehle dual is their a/b/y im not sure what the 1@3 is.

17. suprotennessee

suprotennessee Member

I do use it for solo boost. I am a pretty lo-tech player, mostly studio player, so A. I don't have a lot of pedals and B. I don't usually use an effects loop. For me its just the two pedals straight in. I understand the benefits of pedals and loops, I am just not there yet.

But I do know the Super Duper does exactly what I hoped it would. When I drop from chords to single note, it pushes that note right up into the WildCat's saturation. I have almost no use as of now for the more driven channel of the Super Duper though.

On a side note, I had a Hammond M-1 organ with an RCA output (converted to 1/4 in) that went from vintage cool, to monsterously amazing with the Super Duper.

Good luck.

18. Tonemeister69

Tonemeister69 Member

Ok then, fair enough. Thanks for clarifying :)

19. chaz498

chaz498 Member

I am using an Eternity, Barber DD SS, RC Booster and Boss DD3 into my Cub IIR. My Keeley BD, TS9, modded OD3, and Hotcake all got kicked off as they just didn't seem to work with this amp. The DD3 seems fine, but it is my first delay pedal so I don't have any reference points (thinking of the Keeley AD9).

This thread has made me think of using my Lehle a/b/y (which is the best switcher out there imho) to switch channels for a lead sound instead of just boosting the level into one. Till now I have been using the hi-gain input set for slight breakup, and engaging one or two pedals for heavier crunch and lead tones.

If anyone has any experience using both channels together on the Cub I would appreciate it.

20. Tonemeister69

Tonemeister69 Member

Cool! That sounds like a good setup.

Its interesting to note that, so far, most people have stated that they run into the hi-gain imput set of slight break up. I'm guessing that's where this amp really shines....

Either way, I've got rehearsals this wednesday night so I might try and get there a little earlier to experiment a little :)