Bad Cat Wild Cat w/Special EQ

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by TaronKeim, Oct 4, 2006.

1. TaronKeim

TaronKeim Member

This model has all the standard controls of the regular Wild Cat 40R BUT check it out... on the EF86 channel it has a mini-toggle AND Bass and Treble controls along with the standard volume and click tone stack. Anyone know what is up with this?

[​IMG]

Also... the Wild Cat sounds like a cross between the Phoenix, Clubman AND Chieftain... any truth to that way of thinking? Why not more love for the Wild Cat either... sigh... I love EL34 clean and light dirt machines.

-TJK

2. ruger9

ruger9 Supporting Member

Man, there's NO WAY to keep up with Badcat's so-called "models"! Everytime I turn around, there's another "artist" model, or some kind of "custom shop" model or something. And the website is no help. Wait a minute, does Badcat even HAVE a website...YET?????

I want one. Any one! I don't care which one at this point!!!

Aaaaaaaauuuuugggggghhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. Shark Sandwich

Shark Sandwich Member

yea, this is something new James is doing, I've seen the same thing on a Black Cat, obviously adds more versatility to the EF86 side. Like you said, hard to keep up with !

4. Bluzsteel

Bluzsteel Member

I think its an artist mod right now I belive , mine Wild Cat 40 R is just like that one

5. voodoogreg

voodoogreg Member

It was requist orginally from david grissom to have more EQ control on the 2nd channel. VDG

6. Bluzsteel

Bluzsteel Member

your are right , David told me he really liked this Wild Cat and I should try it and I told James to make mine just like Grissom's.
    we traveled a bit together in the 80 's when I was playing with Delbert and he was with Joe Ely

7. GAT

GAT Gold Supporting Member

I miss my Wildcat, but I did wish it had more eq on that channel. Hmmm, maybe its time to order a head.

8. JimmyR

JimmyR Member

Plenty of love for the Wildcat here! I'd love one as pictured, but mine is the regular head version. Absolutely the best amp I've ever heard - and I build amps as a hobby!

Taronkeim - I like the Wildcat a lot better than the Phoenix. I find in general that the Badcat versions are a bit fuller and less "glassy" sounding than their Matchless eqivalents. The Wildcat is like a tighter, slightly more aggressive DC30 but has all the chime and detail you could ever want. It IS that Marshall meets Vox thing but more as well. The Wildcat has more body to the tone than my old Clubman ever did.

HTH!

9. voodoogreg

voodoogreg Member

small world,checking your bio we both have worked with some of the same artists. peace bro.known dave since he went to Indiana university. VDG

10. TaronKeim

TaronKeim Member

Thanks a lot for that... it really clears things up for me! I'm completely devoted to classical these days, but I have an electric or two still (Suhr Classic and a Koll Tele) and I was thinking it might be nice to have a little stereo set-up just for fun. And I really dug the Phoenix I played a few weeks ago... but always found the extra low-mid focus of the Bad Cats more my thing.

-TJK

11. TaronKeim

TaronKeim Member

That is very cool... I might have to talk to James about it:D Just out of curiousity, what does the mini-toggle on that channel do, is it to change out the different EQ's something like click tone stack - both - bass/treble tonestack... or is it something different?

-TJK

P.S How do you find your tubes last running that hot?

12. Bluzsteel

Bluzsteel Member

mini switch activates either tone switch or treble bass knobs , its one or the other. cut works on all of them, tubes run pretty hot

13. Bluzsteel

Bluzsteel Member

small world

14. TaronKeim

TaronKeim Member

Awesome... thank you!

-TJK