Bad Cat's website.....

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by aaronbarnes, Jan 15, 2008.

1. aaronbarnes

aaronbarnes Member

How come we get to find out about new Bad Cat amps from dealers and magazine ads instead of their company website????

Are they that busy making amps???? It's cool if they are, but say so.

I did'nt need a website to make me want one as soon as I heard one, so maybe they just decided to give up on the web people and let the amps speak for themselves.....

Same with Matchless by the way.....

What do you guys think about all this? Is a cruddy website better than nothing at all, or does it do more harm than good?

I've seen both sentiments expressed here, what is the mood right now?

Keep in mind that for many, the amp budget is not what it used to be and these things are not anywhere near cheap.

2. voojo

voojo Gold Supporting Member

I can't stand places with crap websites either. Especially "bigger" dogs in the amp world like Badcat and Matchless. Badcat's website is just terrible, can hardly get anything from it.

3. studiodunn

studiodunn Member

No excuse for it IMO. Too much revenue via the internet to have a plywood sign on the building..;)

4. picnic

picnic Supporting Member

If I'm going to spend 2-3K on an amp, I need some accurate sound clips of SC's and HB's. The internet is where so much shopping is done, some retailers/builders haven't caught on yet.

5. 9-Pin

9-Pin Member

Minimally the company's website should contain information and pictures regarding all of their current model offerings. Clips and Pictures included.

6. RGB

RGB Supporting Member

It's funny to see this today....I just visited there for the first time to check out the tube layout for the Hot Cat 30 and well, I guess you guys know I came away without any info....or clips.

7. aaronbarnes

aaronbarnes Member

I check it every couple of weeks and it's always the same.......Big Flashy Intro and that's about it.

Half of the amp model pages don't work, or are'nt connected to the right amp.

The pictures are a joke......you get better ones here and on Ebay.

It seems like they are still selling them......maybe they are at a happy medium and can't justify the additional expense of a great website that would generate more work than they can do......

I've been in that position of having more work than you can do and it's not much more fun than not having any work.....

8. clothwiring

clothwiring Supporting Member

Now I'm not going to bash, but I wouldn't be surprised if Bad Cat went for the "form" and not the "functionality". Most likely they hired a Flash designer without the skills to expand the website without huge changes and a high cost to Bad Cat. Plus the application design (of Flash) is rather poor, so they're probably dealing with high cost with little return on their website design.

1. Don't design the web application to use Flash (unless you know someone or have a good chunk of change). There are too many poor Flash designers out there.
    2. Build it to what your end market wants. Your average player isn't buying Bad Cat...it's jerks like us...who have needs that aren't being talked to (well) on the Bad Cat design.

I'm a Sr. Internet Developer and do freelance web design and programming work...I always design to two objectives, target market and client wishes. Sometimes the client wishes win, usually I talk them into understanding their target market better.

9. Jay Strange

Jay Strange Member

10. Sniper-V

Sniper-V Member

NO EXCUSE for a bad website in this day in age.

Its essentially a "Hidden Salesperson" for a business that is allowed in without a door knock.

Having a bad one can do harm IMO...can show ignorance.

Bad Cat is terrible, I don't think its changed the past year or even more. I've actually researched one, bought one, and sold it during that time and the site remained unchanged the entire time. I had to get my specs and pics form here and dealer sites.

For a while PRS was in a similar boat with a stagnate, very non-innovative site, but now its pretty decent.

Again, NO EXCUSE for inferior websites from known named companies.

11. LittleWiggler

LittleWiggler Member

FWIW, nothing new here - BadCat has been criticized for years for their web site... For 5 months in 2006 it was non-existent, than it came and went... hacked...

12. Guitar Dave T

Guitar Dave T Member

+1. Web design must not be their core competency. Looks like they got suckered by someone who was "all hat and no cattle".

IMO, boutique amp websites don't necessarily need to have any sizzle at all, just lots of detail and clips for us average (anal) guitarists. ;-)

Seriously, look at Kingsley Amp's web site. Not fancy, maybe too wordy, but it's chock full of useful bits.

13. Rev2S

Rev2S Member

Take a left on Hudgens Rd, then a right on....
    I have dabbled in creating websites for people but if I were really good, I would offer to do Bad Cat's website for free because as it is now, it sucks....:BITCH

14. FFTT

FFTT Member

The Porcupine Tree music is cool, but not when you're on dial-up
    and have no option to bypass all that stuff to get to information and support.

Now I'm on a really slow dial-up 2.6kb so when it takes 20 minutes for
    their web site to load, you can bet it's frustrating.

Then I finally get to the amps info pages and everything is STILL under construction.

James, you're a good man, but you gotta get this fixed!

15. The Captain

The Captain Supporting Member

There is no doubt this is a terrible web-site, but the brochures are almost worse. The descriptions of the amps and esp the pedals levae you wiht no clue whatsoever as to what they might sound like or do.
    But I don't care, cos some people, like me, just really do not care for computers and have no time or energy for them. If they work, fine, if not walk away and do not sweat it, that's my style.
    Not every ride on the technology bus is compulsory.
    I suspect that ,noted above, they paid someone a heap of money to do something that did not work out, and they are unwilling to send good money after bad.
    Maybe there is an unresolved contract issue with that designer holdign things up too, who knows ??
    Word of mouth is the best advertising there is anyway.

16. Dave Orban

Dave Orban Gold Supporting Member

Gearheads don't necessarily make good businessmen.

17. Metalmike117

Metalmike117 Member

Bad Cat's website sucks. Have you looked at the bogner site? Are you serious? How about more pics of amps custom colors and some more artist pics with amps and such.

Look at the boogie site. Artist videos and profiles, tube layouts, reviews and manuals for current and out of production amps. I sold my boogie and am a Bogner owner now. But 3k for an amp, please build your site up a bit.

18. vchizzle

vchizzle Supporting Member

This is the rumor that I heard. I remember when it was under construction forever. Then an intro page was up for awhile when you moved the mouse it kinda erased the page and there was another pic underneath. Looked like the new site was gonna be pretty cool at that point. It sat like that for awhile and then it came with what we have now. It took forever. I think they got someone who didn't know what they were doing and that's why it took forever and turned out how it did.

I'm a huge fan of their amps, but I agree, they gotta do something about this. the Porcupine Tree audio quality is awful. A shame, cause they're a cool band.

The BIGGEST issue is that all the amps with full specs NEED to be there. some full size pics that you can see the controls front and back for each amp. A clean and dirty(or cranked) clip for each amp would be nice.

My old band had a website built with flash for $300 from someone local, cost about $120/year maybe. We could add our news, pics and had a forum too. I'd be willing to bet there's a Bad cat fan out there that'd do it for free. I would if I had the skills. It would be nice to have a site that did the amps justice.

19. zekmoe

zekmoe Member

A decent SIMPLE html web site with decent pictures can be built from templates and hosted for near nothing if all you use it for is harvesting email leads and so forth. I have no idea why companies build great amps, then go out and have the worst web site in the world made.
    Hey BadCat. I'll build you a site 10x better, with more pics, info and pages than you can shake a stick at for trade of a couple of amps. It will cost less than a set of tubes to host, and you'll get a year of support. What say ye?

20. IPlayHamers

IPlayHamers Member

I own a Tone Cat and it would be nice to have more info available at the site on the amp. If I hadn't look closely at the amp before I bought it, I would not have known that it had a dual power section, switchable rectifier, etc.

That said, the sound of the amp makes up for the lack of info on the site. I can honestly say that I will NEVER sell this amp. It's unlikely that it will be used outside of the studio (Too damn heavy).

I'm thinking of putting together a forum for Bad Cat users/owners. If anyone is interested, let me know. We could take detailed pics of our amps, have reviews, comments, suggestions for tubes, cabs, speakers etc.

If the company won't do it, perhaps we should.

Peace and hair grease.........Jamal