Bad Employees

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by AZChilicat, May 11, 2015.

1. AZChilicat

AZChilicat Member

TGP has countless threads about bad managers but I do not think I've ever seen a thread about bad employees. All you folks that manage people I know you've got some great stories to tell. Let's hear some stories about lousy employees.

2. Rick Lee

Rick Lee Member

I've known two who had work-from-home jobs and then took second work-from-home jobs and rode out the double salary until one job fired them for low performance or not showing up at a mandatory company event because they the company they wanted to stay with also had a mandatory event. I never could make this work for myself.

3. fetishfrog

fetishfrog Member

An impossible request. High achievers never advance in the business world.

4. AZChilicat

AZChilicat Member

I once caught two employees screwing in a store room and then the female threatened sexual harassment for getting fired over it.

5. TwoTubMan

TwoTubMan Member

Something a professor once told me...

"Bad employees get rewarded, good employees get punished."

And he was 100% correct. You end up unintentionally giving more work to the ones that won't screw things up. And sadly, I've been guilty of it myself without even realizing it.

6. Gas-man

Gas-man Unrepentant Massaganist

We had a guy do this as well.

He got away with it for over a year. Was producing just enough to get by.

Brilliant if you can pull it off.

7. Peteyvee

Peteyvee Premium Platinum Member

We had a guy who was supposed to be pulling wire under this gigantic house and when it was taking too long, the project manager went under there looking for him in case he was injured. He found him all right, passed out with a pile of airlline sized vodka bottles surrounding him. He fired him on the spot and you would think that was the end of the story, right?

Apparently, the fired employee went back to the house several days later, dressed in one of our shirts (complete with matching company baseball cap, tool belt and work boots) carrying a large toolbox. He told the housekeeper he had to check some AV stuff out, so she let him in without checking with anyone.

The guy went to their bar and loaded up the toolbox with expensive booze (about 8 bottles worth $1200 according to the client) looked around and left. He was caught on video (and the dumbshit actually helped install the cameras, so he had to know they were there) and was convicted several crimes, including burglary...last I heard, he got a year to sober up in jail...

8. Guitar Josh

Guitar Josh Resident Curmudgeon Silver Supporting Member

I had a secretary who managed to screw up everything I ever gave her in ways that could not be replicated.

9. mikebat

mikebat Member

We hired a woman, who left a job to take ours. It was a plum position, with publicly funded clients who had to buy our product, and had to get it from us. All she had to do was learn to talk the talk a bit and handle logistics.

First day on the job was a conference in Vegas. She ended up getting drunk and gambling for three days straight. I saw her at the airport on day 4, still gambling. She got home, then got the call. "You are fired."

Imagine, she left a job to come to our shop, which was a walk in the park job....and she blew it. It was if she had never been away from home before, and relived her "High School Spring Break in Fort Lauderdale" experience.

10. JMC

JMC Member

I'm not their manager, but I a tech support for a sales team. Two that come to mind are one guy that took a call from his wife on his mobile, while he was in a web meeting with a potential customer... and he told the customer "I'm not calling you honey, that was my wife..."

Even worse, on a remote web meeting with another sales person and a potential customer. I'm doing most of the talking as the conversation turned technical. Then they went back to pricing questions so I defer to the salesperson, who doesn't come back on the line. I ask if they are muted... after a few minutes, they come back onto to the call and say, sorry, I put you on hold so I could call another customer... and they say that not only to me, but to this client, or potential client. It was like saying, your call isn't really important to me so I called someone else...

The prospect brushed it off like it was nothing, but I was beside myself. If they had worked for me I might have fired them on the spot.

11. RhytmEarl

RhytmEarl Member

Not someone who reported to me directly but close enough...

Imagine a staid major oil company back in the 80s. Suit and tie mandatory. Young female employee decides to fire up a joint in the bathroom. She was Jamaican too. :)

Same company. Some young engineers decide that at the company golf tournament it would be a good idea to get drunk, tear around the greens on a golf cart and then get in a fight with the golf pro and break his wrist.

Security was waiting for them the next morning.

12. AZChilicat

AZChilicat Member

I often enjoy listening to my HR veep talk about things employees have written, and sworn to btw, concerning their departure from the organization on unemployment denial appeals.

"I had to quit without notice as I as moving so should get unemployment as I need the money."

"I admit I did such and such, and yes it was a repeat offense many times over, but they were not being reasonable in firing me over this particular instance of it as I really have a good excuse."

"The reason I dropped dirty is because someone spiked my drink." (This person tested positive for several things and was in a professional diversion program already so should not have been drinking)

13. claudel

claudel Member

A long time ago when I was building things I caught one of my guys nailing trim with a
    framing gun & 10d nails because he was too lazy to walk 25 yards to get the trim nailer...

That was way before I became concerned over losing my temper in public...

14. markjsmith

markjsmith Member

The summer before college I did warehouse work. There was a guy who was a big talker, one of those guys who is constantly full of crap but still likable and hard working. Some of his stories were such BS. Like he met and hung out with some famous guy, but the guy actually died when he was like 4yo.

So he misses a couple days without telling the boss and told some crazy story about them being stranded in the desert and his GF breaking her back and needing airlifted to a hospital. Thing is his GF brings lunch in for him that day (only the guys in back saw, so we didn't say anything) The company checked his story and fired him. I kinda felt for the guy cause when he was working he was the bar to strive for in that place.

15. Faded

Faded Member

I once represented a company who was being sued by a woman for wrongful termination. She was a swim instructor who was fired for taking a smoke break in the middle of a 30 minute lesson. She left the child in the water and told him to swim laps (he was a non swimmer) while she walked outside and took a smoke.

16. filtersweep

filtersweep Member

Everyone checking in on TGP from work??

17. Hockeymurt

Hockeymurt Member

I had an employee show up on the GPS about 1 hour away from where he was supposed to working. Giving him the benefit of the doubt, I thought maybe he went to another property with the same name in a different location. So I call to ask him how everything is going, he tells me its great. So I ask if he is at the correct property. He says yeah yeah just went to lunch almost back onsite. I say that's weird the GPS shows you about an hour away.

His response?

"I got diarrhea and didn't want to go to the bathroom in front of a bunch of people."

Still speechless.

18. lhallam

lhallam Member

I had an employee who was a chronic liar but also extremely smart and had the credentials to prove it.

However, he lied about so much stuff that I found myself exhausted at the end of each day since I spent so much time filtering his stories.

Good guy, too bad he was so neurotic. I suppose once you reach your 40's and have spent your entire life lying that it becomes habit.

19. fetishfrog

fetishfrog Member

I was a sales manager at a call center, so stories abound.

One of out top sales people, after setting a weekly company record, simply didn't show up the following week. When we finally got a hold of her, we found she got arrested for turning tricks the night she set the record. Her paycheck for the week she set the record was for almost $100 an hour, and she was always a top performer anyway...I guess pun intended.

Had a few folks get arrested while at work, one for armed robbery.

One employee fakes being pregnant for almost 9 months and bilked another employee for all kinds of money as the 'child' was his. Order a paternity test people, is the lesson there.

I'll post more as I remember them.

20. Peteyvee

Peteyvee Premium Platinum Member

Sure, why not. I'm the GM...and the big boss knows what I do all day: I work my ass off and check in here every now and then. He's cool with it.