Bad experience in a guitar store...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by stratguy23, Mar 5, 2020.

1. StummerJoe

StummerJoe Gold Supporting Member

I actually once had a high school aged kid that worked in a music store ask me to turn down an amp I was checking out. I asked if there were lessons going on, and he said no. So what's the problem? He replied "it hurts my ears...". This puzzled me, so I asked well what do you play? "Clarinet".:facepalm

So I just shook my head and unplugged everything and started to leave. Before I got to the door the owner asked where I was going and I explained that I couldn't check out the amplifier I wanted to buy because it hurt the clarinet players ears. She assured me she would have a talk with him and told me my business was important to them and she hoped I would come back. I also stated I didn't want anyone fired, but I wouldn't be trying or buying when he was working. A year later he graduated and left and everything is right again.

My advice to those with sensitive ears - DON"T WORK AT A MUSIC STORE!!!

2. Thumpalumpacus

Thumpalumpacus Member

True enough. If I were the shopkeeper, I'd allow tryouts, but have an employee hanging around to avoid this sort of stuff.

Teleplayer and RAG7890 like this.
  3. rockabilly69

rockabilly69 Supporting Member

Guitar Czar? Different owner and manager for the last few years!

4. rhinocaster

rhinocaster Supporting Member

It's just a total dick move to treat anyone like that in a shop....I worked at a vintage/boutique shop and I would never ever have done that to someone even if I needed them to stop playing.

The owner of the shop always said that he wanted the store to be the "third place" that people wanted to go. 1. Home, 2. Work....3 ______ he wanted us to be that place. You treat people well and they come back.

I can't believe someone would do that...but I can. ;)

FloridaSam and RAG7890 like this.
  5. soma

soma Member

Op seems very precious. Did this need a thread?

You didn't get to try out an amp you weren't intending to buy. Boohoo.

Your post reads like you were hard done by in some way. You poor sausage.

6. Jr Deluxe

Jr Deluxe Member

Tell them you are buying it. Then try it. Then tell them nah it sucks I dont want it now. Easy.

7. MrTAteMyBalls

MrTAteMyBalls Member

I have been through something similar. In the 90's when I was a teenager I was learning guitar and I had a Peavey predator and an ampeg vt60. I had a band and played pretty well so I wanted to upgrade.

I saved up 2 summers worth of lawn cutting money(I had a decent small business cutting grass). I was prepared to buy a Gibson Les Paul and Marshall JCM900 4100 dual reverb head and 4x12 cab.

I went to the local shop ready to buy...money burning a hole in my wallet and the Jagweed at the store wouldn't let me play any of the gear.

so I left and ordered everything from Sam Ash.

Mr. Crow likes this.
  8. paulbearer

paulbearer Member

Wow. And eerie!
    @stratguy23, I literally just read this completely parallel piece in an old record player magazine called "The Talking Machine World" (from 1912):
    https://www.americanradiohistory.com/Archive-Talking-Machine/10s/Talking-Machine-1912-02.pdf page 24

"HOW ADVERTISING IS RUINED By the Salesman Who Lacks Energy to Display the Goods Advertised-Some Instances.
    A most attractively displayed advertisement, well written, convincingly written, invited me to a large mercantile establishment the other day. The invitation seemed "aimed" at me. I accepted and went to the store. The windows seconded the invitation and I entered the establishment. This store I have often visited. I like trading there. Some neckties well displayed in a show case attracted my attention and I asked the serving clerk the price. "Choice 50c.," said he. None being removed from the case for inspection, however, I asked the price of some in another case. "$1.50 each," said he. My every other want had been most satisfactorily supplied, and every other visit most interesting. The last one made me feel that I never wanted to go there again. Departing, I visited another store and made my purchases.
    Such a man as stood behind the counter at store number one is not only a customer -destroyer but a contaminator. He makes no effort to please and destroys the effort to please that his fellow -employes have. He's an unsafe proposition. You can't pluck a toadstool from a mushroom patch and have a savory mushroom stew. The single stool contaminates the whole. This salesman is the toadstool in the mushroom patch."

[​IMG]

9. runningman

runningman Member

IMHO, a store with that policy deserves an in-kind response.

You should have just told the clerk you were going to buy it, had him write it up, prepare the paperwork, etc, etc.

Then at the last minute, when he asked for your card, you just turn and walk out the door without a word.

10. redragon

redragon Silver Supporting Member

All this talk about bad guitar stores makes me want to give a shout out to my local shop, Empire Guitars in PVD. I go in there once a week or so and there are cool with me trying stuff. Most I ever bought there was some pedals. One of these days though...

Granted, I don’t ask to try the 50’s strats or Anderson’s or other stuff I would never buy.

11. donm1104

donm1104 Member

I read this thread, & feel extremely lucky. The several locally owned shops still around my area of Ct still seem very attentive, much more so than the GC around here (even Sam Ash in New Haven treats you well). I can play high end PRS & custom shop Gibson in one, boutique amps in another. Last year, my wife & I were out, & the store in Plainville (don't know if I can mention names) ENCOURAGED me to try the Benson, Bad Cat, Victory, & Morgan amps. Worked well for them, as my wife thought one was the best amp I had ever played, went back, & dropped a large sum for it. She didn't even bicker price. Needless to say, I feel very fortunate.

crazyneddie likes this.
  12. crazyneddie

crazyneddie Member

Not very friendly. I do think these folks get sick of having people come in and try the gear, like something hard to find like a Matchless. Then the person buys it off the internet for 100 bucks less. Personally, I like to buy local, so I would actually try to make a deal but would pay that extra 100 especially on an expensive piece of gear. The other side of the coin, you better like it because if you try to return something like that to a mom and pop shop they are going to do everything in their power to NOT let you return it as they already spent your 4000. There is nothing you could do to that amp by plugging a guitar into it that would hurt that amp. Maybe your ears, but not the amp.

13. crazyneddie

crazyneddie Member

Amen brother. I’ve been shopping with the Mikes at Empire forever. Awesome shop. Btw if you want to try one of those 50’s strats you can. These guys are also very cool if you have any issue. They take care of their long time customers. I had a heart attack and had to sell a lot of gear. I didn’t have the energy to deal with the public and they were extremely fair to me. Several of those vintage BF fenders when you walk in the door used to be mine. They also know about gear, and are killer players who can truly help people get the right gear for the sound they are going for.

14. Marc Roy

Marc Roy Member

Protect the amp from what? It's an amplifier, it's made to be played. Not like it's irreplaceable either. I'm sure Matchless can make another one. I get it's pricey, but if nobody ever gets to hear/play the thing, how on earth do they expect to sell it? I'd have told him to pound sand.

I'd go with the suggestion of emailing Matchless. No guarantee it'll move the needle, but you may be surprised.

15. AuntieDiluvian

AuntieDiluvian Member

Amen. Obviously he had never done any real symphonic playing, or he would have been broken in by the trumpets and trombones sitting behind him (which can be loud as $%^& when you're right in the beam).

There are several really good local shops in my area, so I guess I'm just lucky. Unfortunately, one of them is on the verge of failing, and may go under. I guess that the good news is that this will likely improve the business for those that remain, but it's sad to see one of the "good ones" going down.

StummerJoe likes this.
  16. FStrat_man68

FStrat_man68 Member

If they only had one in stock I can see their point of view minus the rudeness. Its a pricey amp and the more handling of the amp subjects it to damage and lessening the value. However as a customer I expect a demo amp available of the amp they are selling. If I can't try it I can't buy it. That's my policy. As far as the rudeness............those stores normally fail for that reason.

17. Brad2

Brad2 Member

In a local store, the manager and the employees also have the habit asking you after 5 minutes if the instrument, amp or pedal pleases you. It is impossible to find that out within 5 minutes.
    An online store has a phisical store as well now in the city where I live. There you are allowed to grab a guitar yourself without asking and test it as long as you want. The pedals are in a locked showcase so you have to ask an employee if you want to test it. But then you can also test the pedal as long as you want. That is better.

18. Senor Forum

Senor Forum Gold Supporting Member

This post is amazing because I only kind of understand what you're saying.

I love it.

JackVanPage likes this.
  19. homerayvaughan

homerayvaughan Supporting Member

I would like to know the name of the shop. People dis Guitar Center for bad experiences. I'd do the same, and post a negative comment on their facebook page. Bad attitudes should be bad for business. I would warn others.

20. homerayvaughan

homerayvaughan Supporting Member

I can try a pair of pants on at a store before I buy them. This is a foolish reply. So, would the same hold true for a hot rod deluxe? I mean it's only $800 but it's the same principle. They'll close soon.

Marc Roy likes this.