Bad Floyd Rose

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by pieman8pie, Mar 4, 2015.

1. pieman8pie

pieman8pie Member

Hello everyone,

So, lately I've been having problems with my Floyd on my Chevelle Desolation DX-1 FR Soloist (a discontinued model with the abalone stuff.) When I first got the guitar, there were no problems, but lately I've been popping string after string. They aren't popping out of the saddles, the strings are unwinding. The last string to go was a low E, of all things. Is this just the strings I'm using? Or is it the Floyd?

The strings- Cleartone Heavy Series 9's (possibly 10's, I don't quite remember)
    The Floyd- Recessed Floyd Rose FRT-O2000 Double-Locking Tremolo

I don't even know what the deal is with the Floyd, is it some cheaper model compared to the 'real' Floyds?

As a little side note, how the heck do I get the arm to stay in place? I've tighten as much as I could, but it does absolutely nothing, the dang thing hardly ever stays in place even after minimal use. I tried a replacement arm, but it didn't fit.

Thanks for any help!

Jonathan

2. cardinal

cardinal Member

You may be over-tightening the string lock screws, which could be damaging the string winding and cause it to eventually unravel on you. They don't need to be all that tight.

Not sure what's going on with the arm. Unfortunately it seems that Floyd Rose manufacturing tolerances aren't what they once were. It could just be that the arm and/or arm holder you have needs to be replaced again.

3. pieman8pie

pieman8pie Member

Thanks for the help, cardinal.

I should've known how much of a pain Floyds are when my friend was laughing at me when I told him that I wanted one.

4. Mr. Mukuzi O

Mr. Mukuzi O Member

is it a Japanese Gotoh Floyd or a German one?

I think the Gotoh has a tightening screw for the arm somewhere under the base plate

there is a site where he shows the difference.

5. milli vanilli

milli vanilli Member

The floyd is an asian produced one to the specs of the original if memory serves me correctly...It may have zinc instead of hardened steel, but it's a good trem and will last quite a while. For the arm..as mentioned above you can tighten it...flip the guitar over, open the back cavity... by one of the posts you will see where the trem bar is mounted. Should be a bolt or a screw on the bottom. Tighten it a bit, should fix the bar. Sometimes they come loose, easy fix. If that doesn't work, you can order another one of those pieces for pretty cheap (I just got one for 10 bucks i think)... Every bridge has pros and cons. This one sounds like it worked just fine, so it's probably very easy to get it back on track...

6. Eagle1

Eagle1 Member

It is the OEM MIK one and the arm mech is missing the nylon washer under the coller in this incarnation causing it to come loose every time you use it. Swap out the arm and mech for the OFR Schaller one.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2015
  7. Eagle1

Eagle1 Member

The bolt in the back holds the mech on the baseplate ,nothing to do with arm tension.
    If it was loose there would be an obvious rattle and the arm would appear to move as much as 10mm towards the body before the pitch started to drop but if the collar was tight it would not fall away. This is almost never the issues as on most Floyds it is also a tight interference fit. The back retainer will rattle like hell long before the mech starts to move.

8. Eagle1

Eagle1 Member

No gotoh 1996 on Charvel, ever.

9. milli vanilli

milli vanilli Member

hm. Well, Mine was loose, tightened it up, fixed it...

10. Eagle1

Eagle1 Member

What do you think the bolt attaches too?

11. milli vanilli

milli vanilli Member

You said yourself that it can come loose causing the bar to move. If you tighten it, like I did, it wont be loose. :roll

12. milli vanilli

milli vanilli Member

If the issue is that the arm keeps swinging, that's a different story...can either try a different bar, install a new collar, or even wrap the end of the bar in teflon tape as a temporary fix. If the issue is that the arm collar wont stay in place and jiggles or has play before it actually moves the bridge, then you tighten that bolt because the collar is loose from the plate...

13. Eagle1

Eagle1 Member

It has nothing to do with the swing tension. If loose it would allow the mech to stiffly wobble at tension .

14. milli vanilli

milli vanilli Member

yes. I agree. That is one of the scenarios I addressed. Quick to argue, slow to read, my friend LOL

15. Mr. Mukuzi O

Mr. Mukuzi O Member

floyds are fun though

don't ya think?

16. pieman8pie

pieman8pie Member

Thanks everyone that replied!

I have tried tightening that bolt everyone is talking about, but that was many months ago. I think I tried doing it again when the arm became loose and started swinging, but it wouldn't tighten anymore. I'll take a look at it again, I just don't want to risk screwing anything up.

After playing a little today, there's some weird buzzing coming from the bridge side of the guitar, maybe it's the arm? It seems like the arm is just a few millimeters off from being the perfect fit for the socket.

17. milli vanilli

milli vanilli Member

hm. Take the arm out and play. If no buzz, then arm

18. Rick Lee

Rick Lee Member

Sounds to me like your saddles are pitted. This happened with my EBMM EVH, on which I have a lot of miles. The sweat and age will pit the saddles and they become porous like lava rock and act like a cutting wheel on the strings at a microscopic level. I bought a set of StringSavers and replaced the OEM saddles with them. Works like a charm. No point in keeping it all original if it's gonna become unplayable with age.

19. pieman8pie

pieman8pie Member

Tried playing without the arm, and the buzzing did go away. It's one of those annoying things where I can hear it, but no one else would really be able to.

Thanks for the tip, Rick. I take it you recommend getting some new saddles, then?

20. Rick Lee

Rick Lee Member

Well, don't do it for the hell of it. But take a real close look, maybe with a loupe, and see if the arch of the saddles are pitted or corroded at all. If you have another Floyd laying around, maybe compare the saddles between the two.