Bad Ground?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by JL75, Feb 18, 2015.

1. JL75

JL75 Member

I have a strat that has a come and go "buzz", not like a shielding thing, sometimes it doesnt do it at all, but movement seems to trigger it, and I can wiggle a knob, smack the body, etc and it goes away. When the buzz does kick in, the guitar gets crazy bright. Like theres no tone pot at all and then some. But if I wiggle it or nudge a knob it goes away. Inside I cant see any cold joints or anything loose. Im no tech so lookin for advice here from guys who do this for a living. Thx

2. FallsRockShop

FallsRockShop Member

If the pots are older and have some miles on them they could just be giving up and need replaced. You could try to use some contact cleaner on the pots and see if that fixes the problem.

Did you check the ground on the trem claw?

3. swiveltung

swiveltung Member

Another thought. on some strats, the input jack causes problems when it is turned in the body cavity. Unscrew the output jack plate and see if you need to rotate it... ie: leave it dangling and play your guitar.. are your problems solved? if so , look at the cavity and the jack... and rotate it so the jack is free to spring in and out when the cord is plugged in. Tighten the jack nut with it in that position.
    Not necessarily your issue but might be.

4. Dana Olsen

Dana Olsen Gold Supporting Member

Yes, and while you're there, clean the output jack too. If you have GOOD contact cleaner, spray 'em out and clean 'em, see if you still have the problem. If so, you're going to have to replace 'em, as Adam above pointed out.

Thanks, Dana O.

5. JL75

JL75 Member

Jack and pots are new, a local "tech" did some work on it, not goin back to him or talkin to him, he said he fixed this problem, but obviously didnt, he also put somethin on the neck, now feels like im runnin my hand through molasses. Ill try the jack position trick. J

6. JL75

JL75 Member

I tried the jack danglin thing. Issue was still there but a helll of a lot less, and what position the jack was in didnt seem to affect when the buzz kicked in. Still random but wasnt as frequent.