Bad luck or are others having trouble making purchases too?

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by wrxplayer, Jan 14, 2015.

1. wrxplayer

wrxplayer Supporting Member

The last three purchases I made were all "defective."

First a guy here sells me an amp. I get it home and it sounds ill. He tells me sheepishly "I heard [the sick sounds] you're describing before." Why he tell me after I've gone through lots of effort to get the amp I don't know. He takes the amp back but the experience costs me about $40.

I buy a Fulltone Clyde on ebay. Comes right away. Looks great. But I plug it in and it squeals as it wahs. I record it and offer to email it to the seller. He doesn't seem to want it and instead asks repeatedly if I'm plugging it in right. He sends me a prepaid return label but then emails me that the address is wrong. Still waiting to fix this.

I buy a delay pedal from a well known etailer who matches the price of another etailer. Pedal arrives and won't get out of loop mode. TGPer comes to my aid to troubleshoot and concludes I have a dud. Was told two days ago that I'd be receiving a return label but it still hasn't arrived.

None is particularly egregious but this is 3 for 3 in seven days' time. In the last 10 years of lots of purchases and sales I'm not sure I've had 3 "bad" purchases in total.

Is it bad luck or perhaps are people trying to move stuff hoping that the deals go through?

Anybody else running into a spate of "bad luck"?

2. davebc

davebc Member

I bought a Victoria Regal last year with a bad reverb pan, a $24.00 fix.
    Aside from that it's been smooth sailing.

3. Ferret

Ferret Supporting Member

There's always going to be a certain percentage of things that are less than you'd want. Some pedals are known to be noisy in ordinary circumstances. I suppose a seller doesn't have to disclose facts like that.

Vintage amps are often defective in ways you can't predict. Often, 'I tried it and it works' means nothing more than 'I turned it on and something lit up' or 'I managed to get some sort of noise out of it.' It's often hard to pinpoint whether the seller is at fault or not. Old parts can die in transit. Much the same goes for the electronics of vintage guitars.

It does sound like you've had a bad run though.

4. TDJMB

TDJMB Gold Supporting Member

I think it's time to start asking for videos before buying. As a seller, I do a quick iPhone video before shipping.