Bad Monkey praise

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Renardm, Apr 25, 2008.

1. Renardm

Renardm Member

I have been using a SD-1 mainly as a boost for my JCM 800 combo. I am a at home player so it sounded ok for my needs. I picked up a Bad Monkey this week and all I can say is wow! Much less hissy than the SD-1 and much more transparent. Can't believe that a $50 pedal could sound so good!

2. protoangel

protoangel Member

yeah! With a ballsy bottom-end thump to it too!

Works very well with Marshalls, not so well with Hiwatts but still damn good.

The clean boost i.e. level on full/overdrive on zero is still quite dirty and aggressive (I guess they use a cheap chip) but who cares? its really ballsy

3. Renardm

Renardm Member

Yes, it does add more dirt than the SD-1 with the gain on zero but in a good way.

4. KCWM

KCWM Member

I wonder how hard it would be to switch out the chip if that is the issue.

I have one that's currently sitting to the side of my board, but I think I'm about to put it back on and remove the Boss DS-1 since my Keeley TS-9 can get a close sound to the DS-1.

5. kludge

kludge The droid you're looking for

I don't think the chip is the reason for the zero-gain dirt. The circuit is most likely a diode clipper, like a Tube Screamer and a zillion other designs.

But yeah, it's a freakin' awesome pedal. I love mine.

6. Snakum

Snakum Member

I love my Monkey(s). :)

7. Kapo_Polenton

Kapo_Polenton Member

Definitely more transparent than the SD-1. The SD-1 has fuller gain that kicks in sooner but it is splatty, noisy, and not as smooth. I find this too. Wish the monkey's gain would kick in a little better though. Gets a tad messy turned up past 1/4 for me.Also use it with a JCM800 and a plexi clone. Like it better than the BB.

8. kludge

kludge The droid you're looking for

If you want more gain, try stacking it with another OD. BM + Germ = mostly transparent, lightly compressed thunder.

9. CocoTone

CocoTone Senior Member

Better yet,,stack it after a good germanium fuzz, and look out!!:cool:

CT.

10. grado

grado Member

For the money the Bad Monkey is a great pedal.

I found the overall feel and sound to be similar to my BK Butler Tube Driver, although I felt the monkey had a bit of a weird "I'm playing in a tunnel" kind of sound to it.

I like the Butler TD quite a bit more so I sold the Monkey but at 1/7 the price of the Butler TD it's pretty darn awesome.

11. Kapo_Polenton

Kapo_Polenton Member

Do you guys have clips of the monkey + germanium fuzz? Remember, i am also already jamming on a plexi set to 8.

12. Snakum

Snakum Member

I am still amazed at how much I can get from a pair of Bad Monkeys, even though one of them is now the uber-smooth Spank'd Monkey from ToneJam FX. With all the high-end/booteek pedals I have bought and sold or now own, I still turn to the Monkus for my SRV vibe into a clean amp and to goose my MojoDrive for some of my solos.

I am still in love with the little green wonder. I could easily go back to playing two Monkuses and nothing else, if I had to. Especially with one of them being a Spank'd Monkey.

$50 ... nothing comes close for twice the price. And nothing bests it for what it does best for three times the price. :D

13. ToneJamFX

ToneJamFX Member

Glad to see you're still digging the mod.

:BEER

14. GuitarsFromMars

GuitarsFromMars Member

I have noted a fair amount of monkeylove...

15. MightyGuru

MightyGuru Member

It's a great box. A buddy of mine compares it favorably to his Klon.

16. brianf

brianf Member

Ahhhhh. But then it's not a Bad Monkey.

brianf

17. matthet

matthet Member

LOVE mine!
    it sounds great teamed with any of my keeley pedals, or just by itself when i want a ballsier sound!
    I also stack it with my OD on my Omega HRD, sounds FANTASTIC!!!

18. CocoTone

CocoTone Senior Member

If you click on either link in my signature, you will hear tons of examples of that very setup. "I feel good" is a perfect example of that pairing. Either a Super Reverb, or an old Traynor Guitarmate was used on the recordings.

CT.