Bad Monkey Question

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Greenbacker, Mar 2, 2008.

1. Greenbacker

Greenbacker Member

Do the US made ones have those same small, weird components that the Chinese ones do?

Thanks!

2. daddyo

daddyo Guest

Those funny little tootsie roll shaped things with the coloured stripes on them?

3. NortheastHick

NortheastHick Supporting Member

:roll

4. Greenbacker

Greenbacker Member

Ha ha. I don't know. I know what a typical resistor, capacitor, IC and diode look like. Have you seen inside of a bad monkey? I forget what this is called. It is a three letter abbreviation. It's tiny tiny versions of all those parts.

5. Greenbacker

Greenbacker Member

SMP (Surface mount parts)

6. NortheastHick

NortheastHick Supporting Member

yes. i have 1 of each and they are identical in all aspects.

7. Greenbacker

Greenbacker Member

Alright then. I now have both Chinese and US (US in the mail) and a DOD Juicebox (which can sound VERY similar) and an Xotic AC Booster. These all have identical controls. I'm going to sit down for a good few hours and see which sounds better/different.

8. Kapo_Polenton

Kapo_Polenton Member

Soo far my bad monkey is my overdrive of choice.. I'm into harder rock and it is the best fit for my plexi clone. the BB preamp that I have i find is too gritty when i record.. I much prefer the monkey and might even buy a second for a boost.

9. amoodymule

amoodymule Member

I,ve tried the 2 monkey setup and I didn't like it, it just didn't get me there(wherever there is, I know, not much help)
    I am gunna try the OCD next, hell I've tried the Keeley BD-2, SD-1, OD-3,TS-9, the TS-9 was close, tried the Screamin Blues, was ok, Zinky TrueGrit, Maxon 808, Barber DD, a couple of the MXR, Zakk, EH BigMuff, Double Muff ...there are others I'd like to try, Barber Small Fry, MI has a couple, there are soo many:BITCH

...one monkey stays on though, with a a/b shootout, the monkey does what I need, I just need to find somethin to compliment it:rolleyes:

www.myspace.com/souprocks

10. FloridaSam

FloridaSam Member

You have (or will have) the perfect match for the BM. Of all my ODs the BM and OCD are a match made in heaven. They compliment each other magnificantly.

11. Dan-o

Dan-o Member

Crunchbox is killer & I LOVE the BM ( I am having mine Modded as we speak) stock BM-nice voicing-gain could be better...Crunchy has ALOT of Gain & nice voicing...there's a real good Crunchbox demo on youtube by proguitarshop...its like a Vox in a Box :AOK

12. bradw

bradw Member

I have the Monkey set-up to push my OCD.

BM settings = level is dimed, tones to taste, drive is zero.

OCD's level, tone and drive are all at 1:00.

Gibby LP Standard into a DRRI.

Yup, Yup, Yup!

13. amoodymule

amoodymule Member

...very cool, I'm going from a 55/77 LP into a Soldano HR50 w/4x10 marshall cabs, you all got me gassin for that OCD (checkin my creditcard balances now) :D

14. Telecaster62

Telecaster62 Member

I use the Monkey to push a Reverend Drivetrain. The Drivetrain is transparent in the mids where the Bad Monkey is boosted. This tandem works perfectly together. Use the Drivetrain for chording and hit the Monkey for solo's. Cuts like a knife and sustains forever. Luscious.

15. Structo

Structo Member

SMD = Surface Mount Device

16. FloridaSam

FloridaSam Member

That's EXCALTY how I use it too! I use an SG though :AOK

17. dougb415

dougb415 Member

Hmm, just returned an SD Tube Twin because it wasn't doing it for me. I've got a Bad Monkey gathering dust, maybe time to try an OCD....

18. Lt_Core

Lt_Core Supporting Member

With the level dimed doesn't that add a ton of volume to your amp signal? Or do you keep the BM on all the time?

19. Theorywolf

Theorywolf Member

I use my Bad Monkey for low-gain stuff and then use it to drive my MJM Blues Devil! Check this team working on the tunes on myspace!

Mike

20. tennisplayer

tennisplayer Senior Member

I have my Bad Monkey poking my OCD and they are perfect together. Level (wherever I need it) bass at 4pm, treble at noon, gain at 8am. OCD Vol. wherever needed, gain at 1pm, treble at 10am.